Wingman rollout

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

LostInSpace1973
x3

Wingman rollout

Post by LostInSpace1973 » Mon, 25. Feb 08, 20:57

Hello all,

there have been numerous discussions about equiping ships for OOS combat and player owned ships. However, I'm looking for advice on how to arm IS fighters. I have some PNRs with AHEPTs but they can't seem to hit M4 or M5. In fact, against Pirate Buzzards they are a bit pathetic.

Anyway, I was thinking of trying Chimeras with mass drivers or LXs with PBEs so that can hit fast ships as well as slow ones. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

UnderLord
x3tc

Post by UnderLord » Mon, 25. Feb 08, 21:02

On your nova raiders put Apacs and Bpacs on them those fire faster, move quicker and take less energy to fire, plus IS = sweet i use them and they work fine on my ships mostly on busters though....if you don't want to use that idea then put Ahepts they fire quicker then Bhepts and use less energy and move a little bit faster...
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
AMD Phenom II X2 550 @ 3100 MHz
4 x 2048 DDR3-SDRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 SE

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 04:54

Well... IS wingmen are pathetic no matter what you put on them... they track their targets as bad as turrets do.

For capital ships you can use pretty well any fighter with heavy sheilds and hard hitting weapons. Bigger targets makes it easier for them to track.

For smaller M4's and M5's I use one decked out Harrier wingman with APAC's and AIRE's for support fire. The weapons fire fastest and do enough damage to be useful, especially when you use "Attack my Target" command. My Harrier also seems to attract little attention from the AI while I'm flying around in somthing bigger than it. No hard evidence here... maybe just my luck.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 05:12

I am so gonna get flamed for this....
I know no-one is gonna agree with this but I have 4 wingmen loaded out completely with Ion Disrupters and disrupter missiles.

Call me selfish, I want the kills and it saves me alot of time bringing down shields plus I have the added bonus of not upsetting anything friendly that's too close. Because of the range it requires they are the primary target so get shot first and I don't have to worry about accuracy because it just latches onto everything and is ideal for groups.

It's not perfect, they don't sustain the fire but it is a quick click to call them off if I get burnt then all I usually have to do is glare at my target menacingly and they either bale or show their rump chasing my wingmen so I can kill them.

Even works against capital ships.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Cr0ssbow
x3tc

Post by Cr0ssbow » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 07:42

LostInSpace,
Imo, the M3+s definitely are the best wingmen with their good shielding and speed so I would agree with you there but if you're going a cheaper route but still want the PBEs you can outfit the "Normal" (no variant) versions of the Split Mamba, Boron Barracuda, Teladi Falcon, and also the L.

Which of these you choose would depend on what you're piloting. Falcon's got some mucho shielding but can't keep up with most anything. Mamba and 'Cuda are quicker but are weak. I'd suggest the L to be honest. Note that this is all theoretical, I've never actually done this in game, so I'm not sure how well it'd work

Lyth,
Ion Disruptors, really? Don't....don't those hit you too? And are you saying that when your wingmen accidentally hit neutral ships they don't agro? Also, doesn't IDs destroy cargo containers (gasp!)?

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 20:32

I haven't bothered to collect any wares since my first few days.

Hasn't done me any harm, currently at Mogul and spending money any way I can. Aslong as my shields don't reach zero I'm in no real danger of losing anything valuable, its just a click to call them off like I said.

With Hepts, I can fire at my target out of their range.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”