AIRE? BIRE? APAC? BPAC? Where!?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Psycho0124

AIRE? BIRE? APAC? BPAC? Where!?

Post by Psycho0124 » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 07:16

After finally getting started in X3 and setting up a small trading empire of 8 Mercury auto-traders, I decided to go on a nice pirate killing spree and purchased myself a Buster S. Upgraded its shields and set it up with all the necessary equipment.

One problem: Throughout the 2/3s of the galaxy I have so far explored, there is NOT ONE production facility for any of the above listed weapons. Why is this?! The story line suggests that a war is going on. Why aren't weapon production facilities dotting each and every system? Where are all the pirate and military (let alone the civilian) ships being armed? I don't have the money to build a production facility and to be honest, I shouldn't have to. BASIC weaponry should be available in EVERY system with a shipyard. To see otherwise is nothing short of irritating.

Am I missing something obvious or was the aspect of BASIC weapon production really overlooked like this? Shouldn't the economy be weighted towards the smaller ships (which are of course FAR more plentiful) rather than to strictly the large, expensive fighters and capitol ships? There isnt even a source for the most basic laser weaponry without spending 2 hours scouring systems which I have little inclination to hang around in UNARMED...

"Yay.... hour 2 and its another plasma thrower plant... I guess the name sounds cool at least... Yeah, its definately time to go rant on some forums..."

Cr0ssbow
x3tc

Post by Cr0ssbow » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 07:24

Short answer: Yes, you're missing something obvious.

Long answer: While not every sector with a shipyard has everything you'll need, quite a few race sector clusters have one sector that's seemingly designed for weapon and/or shield loadouts.

Homeworld colony examples:

Argon - Cloudbase South East
Paranid - Paranid Prime
Boron - Nothing really, not in the Kingdom End cluster
Teladi - Ceo's Sprite
Split - Spread out a little but Rhonkar's Fire?

As far as equipment docks go, Boron EDs usually are the ones stocked with PACs and Split seem to have a monopology on the IRE market.

Psycho0124

Post by Psycho0124 » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 07:46

Argon - Cloudbase South East Empty. No IRE or PAC production facility to restock

Paranid - Paranid Prime Does not carry IREs or PACs. No production facilities.

Boron - Nothing in nearby systems. No production facilities found in searched systems

Teladi - Ceo's Sprite Will require UNARMED FLIGHT through pirate infested space

Split - Even more UNARMED flight through pirate infested sectors

PostPosted: Tue, 26. Feb 08, 08:24 Post subject:
Short answer: Yes, you're missing something obvious.
Am I? Could you clarify exactly what is obvious about having production facilities for BASIC and otherwise COMMON weapons in 2 or 3 systems out of 50? Its like an easter egg hunt just to get started. Ridiculous.

It was looking to be a cool game. Better than Sword of the Stars in some aspects. Spending 2 hours looking for this crap, however, is not all that enjoyable. Cya X3....

Cr0ssbow
x3tc

Post by Cr0ssbow » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 08:00

You either
1)Are extremely unlucky and strange dynamic events have destroyed the PAC forges/complexes in CBSE and Paranid Prime

2)Need to invest in a triplex scanner to actually find this stuff

3)Are blind as a bat.

I hope you're not trying to go through Pirate sectors to get to Split or Teladi territory? There is a northern route up through Boron space to get you two both. True, there is pirate activity in Teladi space but it's minimal in low combat rank vanilla games. The beauty in X3 is that with a completely tuned fighter, you can easily kill baddies that are faster than you, and outrun baddies that can easily kill you. I say screw the Buster, grab yerself a quick M5, go find the weapons you want, then buy an M4 onec you got everything you need. Pre-emptive equipping =)

Dom Devore
x3tc

Post by Dom Devore » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 09:36

Here's a couple things that might help you out.
Spoiler
Show
http://home.planet.nl/~nijs0240/ This is a map of the X universe and allows you to locate sectors that should have what you're looking for.
I also recommend this really great script: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=123408 it allows you to locate any product... anywhere. Not sure if it works on undiscovered sectors though as I only started using it after I had mapped the universe.

Hope these help.

Whuppee

Post by Whuppee » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 10:30

You're sure you've explored 2/3s of the galaxy?

It's quite odd that you wouldn't be finding any of those factories; as with ~150 sectors explored in my current game, most by nothing more than a relatively simple flythrough, I've found a good many of them :o

Also, so far as I'm aware, shipyards use the EDs stock when you're doing your fittings... so if there aren't any of those weapons available, it's due to the ED not being stocked / not stocking them.

If nothing else, assuming they're available, you could save yourself from flying around in an unequipped ship simply by purchasing the M or L fitted ones.

That active map is probably your best bet, especially as it'll assist you in finding your way to any sectors you may have not yet discovered.. as well as showing you which ones to head for.

Still, my personal, running compilation:

IREs
Spoiler
Show
(b) Barren Shores
(b) Thuruk's Pride

(ab) Depths of Silence
(ab) Family Pride
(ab) Family Zein
(ab) Ghinn's Escape
(ab) Great Trench
(ab) Lucky Planets
(ab) Menelaus' Paradise
(ab) Rhy's Desire
PACs
Spoiler
Show
(a) Paranid Prime

(b) Priest Rings

(ab) Ceo's Sprite
(ab) Ianamus Zura
(ab) Interworlds
(ab) Omicron Lyrae
(ab) Profit Center Alpha
(ab) Wastelands
.. if for no other reason than that I dislike the active map.

It's too much of a spoiler, imo. So, incase you might share that opinion.. the above is probably a lesser evil :P

It really is great, painful fun to go over every known sector in your game, writing down every item sold there, btw. Like I just did. Again. :roll: :)

teladianium
x3

Post by teladianium » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 14:34

dunno if you have given up but if not then try Depths of Silence (Boron), in my current game there is a BIRE forge in the NW of the sector and a IRE Complex near the centre. No enemy sectors to fly through and the Boron are better at running facts than the other races. If you are flying down from Argon Prime you might as well try Lucky Planets as well...

HTH

Psycho0124

Post by Psycho0124 » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 16:58

I have about 40 systems in my system map. All have been pretty thoroughly surveyed and most even contain nav satellites for watching trade opportunities. Could it be the game mode I chose? I started as an "Aspiring Explorer" (no storyline) with a little discoverer. It had 4 of the lasers I am looking for but I sold them (and the discoverer) to make repairs to the Boron Manta I capped.

The Borons are still kinda peeved with me about attacking one of their ships. Without weapons, Killing pirates in Boron space is out of the question to get me back into good standing with their empire. Is there anything else I can do to improve my rep with them to the point of being able to trade there again?

I've already grabbed a triplex scanner from the Paranid Comms Facility in the NE corner of Priests Pity. Generally I do a good loop around the outside of the gates followed by a loop of the inner area. The systems I have surveyed should be pretty complete so I don't think I could have missed any of them.

Thanks for the help guys. My apologies for the attitude. Its just frustrating to have finally mastered the interface in X3 and built a small trading empire from the ground up only to be tripped up by something as simple as finding some lasers. I can just grab some Mass Drivers for the thing while I continue searching for lasers.

teladianium
x3

Post by teladianium » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 17:43

well if you can't dock with the Boron at the moment you can buy IREs from the Teladi. I remember in a previous game buying IRE, can't remember if they were A or B from the EQ dock in Company Pride but you could check all their equipment docks: Ceos Buckzoid, Seizewell, Company Pride, Home of Opportunity. You don't need much rep to trade with the Teladi, just be neutral to friendly and have the credits...

Whuppee

Post by Whuppee » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 18:35

According to Egosoft, the difficulty has no effect on anything besides your starting assets / relations.

However, different games will play differently in the sense that the Kha'ak might decide to destroy a different system than in another game, pirate activity may show some noteworthy variations, stations may show up that you haven't seen before (or go missing) -- not an entire sectors worth, though... and various such things of that nature.

On the topic of the Boron / race relations,

The only paths I know to improved relations are trading / combat. As you can't dock with them, trading isn't much of an option... though you could (credit dependent) setup a factory in one of their border systems. Over time, they should trade with you.. eventually resulting in your relations improving to the point that you can trade with them more directly.

And in either case, trading is a very slow way of building up your reputation.. which leaves combat. Which leaves you still needing weapons.

Though bothersome, if you can't find any equipment docks stocking the weapons you want.. a good many of the places I listed aren't likely to be very far away from wherever you're at; and the vast majority should be easily reachable without encountering any hostiles.

One brief seta'd run and you could be set.

And once you get kitted out, killing pirates certainly is an option.. but I'd suggest not confining yourself to Boron (or any race's space). I'd suggest investing in some salvage insurance, and venturing out into some of the more mild pirate sectors (can suggest some if you'd like)... with the intent of building your combat rank, rather than reputation.

I'd also highly recommend buying a Docking Computer from the Paranid. I believe it defaults to the 'n' key, though you might need to check your controls / assign a key. Using your Docking Computer will let you insta-dock anywhere within 5km from a (targetted) station.

.. and then, I'd suggest flying around for a time.. doing whatever suits you, really.. and docking every so often, looking for bbs missions.

Specifically assassination / revenge missions. These will be the "please bring this criminal to justice / please avenge my insert family member here" ones.

The higher your rank, the better the pay. Technically, they get more difficult at well.. but at lower ranks your pay is the only thing you'll really notice increasing.

As to why: if an Argon hires you to kill a Boron, and you complete the mission.. the Argon will like you more. And so will the Boron.

At midrange combat ranks it's entirely possible to go up entire ranks at a time with the target race. Inside of two missions you can go from "we'll attack any of your ships within even our border sectors" to "welcome to our core sectors!"

I find this far less tedious than flying around looking for pirates within a given race's domain.

Two tips: (1) if you've checked all the stations in a sector without finding a mission, just change sectors. The alternative is to wait around (even on seta) for a rediculous amount of time. (2) For the assassination / revenge missions, ensure that your ship is set to "show as enemy if enemy to me (yes)".. else you'll likely miss your target, since he'll show as neutral.

As to exploring,

That is odd. And I don't mean to suggest that your exploring is deficient; only that I can't recall ever not finding those weapon factories in Cloudbase SE.

However, I do believe it's possible that.. for some reason as determined by the random number generator.. those stations just haven't been built yet in your game. I really would expect them to have been.. but absent a number of Kha'ak capital ships sitting in the sector, they really should show up sooner or later.

And until then, between the active map / any directions you might (instead) prefer.. chances are that we can guide you to a relatively nearby sector that will have what you're looking for.

If nothing else, between a jumpdrive, a bit of exploring, and a nav sat dropped in any sector of interest to you.. it really shouldn't be at all / nearly so painful to find what you're looking for later on.
  • Also: assuming you have the bonus pack, there should be some added potential there-- the 'fly through gate' command, Explorer Software, and the 'deploy item' command.

In combination with 'notify me when order is completed'

I tend to buy a few cheap Discos, fill them with nav sats, and then.. while I'm off working on my combat rank / doing missions, I have them flying sector to sector, dropping satellites, and.. later on.. running the explorer software to save me the trouble of searching out each sector myself.

Something to consider / look forward to, anyway.
Quite alright, and as to MD locations:

(again from my personal listing, likely to be a little less complete than the active map)
Spoiler
Show
Aladna Hill
Barren Shores
Depths of Silence
Cloudbase NW
Cloudbase SE
Family Pride
Family Zein
Ghinn's Escape
Great Reef
Patriarch's Keep
Rhonkar's Fire
Thuruk's Beard
Note that a good many of those sectors either sell or border a sector selling IREs / PACs; keeping your eye out for any of the 3 sets would at least suggest a higher probability of your finding one such set.

Also, MD ammo will be sold at all of those locations.

snyderm
x3

Post by snyderm » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 20:00

When I start an X3 game, I am always in the same boat you are in now. Where do you equip your ship?

Often for one reason or another, you can't get to the places that are sure to have these weapons. What do you do?

This is what I do.

Stradegy #1: Fly to kingdoms end. Then fly east until you get to teladi space. Check the equipment dock at teladi gain, go south then east, check the EQ at siezewell, and keep checking south until you go below ceo's spite, and take the east gate and check company pride for equipment docks. This usually works. At one of these EQ's, you will likely find AIREs or PAC's somewhere. If no :

(you can't do due to poor boron rep)
Stradegy #2, get to lucky planets, who will always have IRE Complexes. Get a fast ship that can evade pirates (discoverer with triplex Scanner is great). Start at elena's fortune, and head south until you reach Trinity Sanctum. Then head east past shores of Infinity. Lucky planets will have IRE's, and possibly others if you continue east.

Honorable mentions: Paranid Prime or the sector immediately east will always have a PAC factory of some kind. Somtimes in the sector east, the factory will be way off the beaten path, but it is there.

Why is it so hard to get weapons in Argon space near the start of the game? You would think that they would all cease to exist without them.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 20:22

Psycho0124 wrote:...I started as an "Aspiring Explorer" (no storyline) with a little discoverer. It had 4 of the lasers I am looking for but I sold them (and the discoverer) to make repairs to the Boron Manta I capped. ....
That little discoverer you sold was a one-of-a-kind supertuned version of the original. It had several more speed tunings, allowing it to go much faster than normal. Turbocharger hidden under the hood. And like all used cars, you got about half what it was worth when you sold it to the used ship dealer. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Lyth
x4

Post by Lyth » Tue, 26. Feb 08, 20:26

Short on time, apologies if already stated.
Find a factory of the weapon you want and feed it the required resources, an IRE has a cycle time of a few minutes so just seta for a few seconds and it should be produced.
Take it easy, If you can't - Take it by force.

Psycho0124

Post by Psycho0124 » Wed, 27. Feb 08, 19:09

Nanook wrote: That little discoverer you sold was a one-of-a-kind supertuned version of the original. It had several more speed tunings, allowing it to go much faster than normal. Turbocharger hidden under the hood. And like all used cars, you got about half what it was worth when you sold it to the used ship dealer. :P :lol:
Yeah I came to realize this when I went to purchase another Discoverer. That first ship is nearly twice the speed of the standard Discoverer and would have made a great ship for exploration. I have since restarted my game and am looking for ways to earn cash with the little thing.

As a side note, I noticed that my new game contains a nice PAC forge in Cloudbay Southeast. I guess it must have been destroyed by the constant Kha'ak raids to the sector in my last game.

Is there any way to earn enough money with this little Discoverer to purchase a Mercury? The cargo bay is tiny so it would take hundreds of runs. I have tried capping but the biggest weapon I can put on the thing is the Beta Impulse Ray Emitter which isn't strong enough to convince many pilots to bail. I have allready killed everything from little raiders up to pirate Novas with only 1 cap.

Thanks again for all the help.

PabloRSA
x4

Post by PabloRSA » Wed, 27. Feb 08, 19:43

Your best bet might be going to herons nebular and trade space fuel with the trade station. Try buying at around 720 if you can.

If you want a better solution try going after boron dolphin super freighters, since they have no weapons they wont hurt you and may cap it.
To "cheat" u can save before doing this and then retrying if you fail. This way you keep boron rep lose to a minimum.

What you do with the boron ship afterwards is up to you.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Wed, 27. Feb 08, 21:31

Psycho0124 wrote:.....
As a side note, I noticed that my new game contains a nice PAC forge in Cloudbay Southeast. I guess it must have been destroyed by the constant Kha'ak raids to the sector in my last game.
Either that, or a Paranid M6 raiding party. They sometimes enter neighboring Argon sectors and blow things up until the Argon blow them up, or they just leave. I've seen it happen in CBSW and Elena's Fortune.
Is there any way to earn enough money with this little Discoverer to purchase a Mercury? The cargo bay is tiny so it would take hundreds of runs. I have tried capping but the biggest weapon I can put on the thing is the Beta Impulse Ray Emitter which isn't strong enough to convince many pilots to bail. I have allready killed everything from little raiders up to pirate Novas with only 1 cap.

Thanks again for all the help.
Multi-part taxi missions would be your best bet with this speedy little ship. You get a steadily increasing fee for each leg of the mission, where you're transporting some passenger for one of various reasons. Look for taxi missions that don't have a fee rounded off to the nearest 100 credits. They're available randomly in all stations, and tend to pay more as you increase trading rank. Even at low rank, you can get pretty good fees for these.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Heevan
x3

Post by Heevan » Mon, 21. Jul 08, 21:07

Hey all.
I know that this topic has been dead for months, but I must confess that I have run into the same issues. The BIRE were hard to find (but I did find them in the end) whilst the only Equipment Docks that have A/BPAC weapons are the Boron Equipment Docks.

Now, war has been kept at bay from the Boron and Argon sectors that I have found (up to and including a long-winded and frankly terrifying battle against some Kha'ak carriers) so they might not have seen any need to build PAC forges, but with Argon/Split/Paranid conflicts continuing I would have thought that finding such weapons would be easy.

Now, I'm not in any dire straights - I'm just trying to build up a nice little fleet of ten to twenty ships - but having my M4s without even APACs makes them pretty pathetic. Is there any help on this end?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”