X3 mouse speed

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dmrogers
x3ap

X3 mouse speed

Post by dmrogers » Sat, 1. Mar 08, 14:52

Hi

In X3, does anyone know if its possible to speed up the mouse cursor movement in cursor mode (like the pointer speed option in Windows control panel)?

I find navigating the interface a little slow for my liking because I have to do several drags with the mouse to move it from one side of the screen to the other.

Thanks

Dave

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sat, 1. Mar 08, 15:01

No, but it shouldn't be that slow. Try enabling VSync.

trillions

Post by trillions » Sat, 1. Mar 08, 15:03

AFAIK there's no mouse sensivity to be set in-game. But you could bump up your mouse speed and maybe put in a little acceleration in windows.

somalezulus

Post by somalezulus » Sat, 1. Mar 08, 17:06

You can play with mouse settings in Windows/Control panel. All the changes will be reflected in game. Of course, if you play game at 1600/1200 resolution and your desktop is at 800/600, there will appear that the mouse is much more "lazy" in game than on the desktop... But if Desktop and game has the same resolution the mouse should behave identically.

Another issue is that when X3 pushes your computer to its very limits the first ones ignored functions will be the imputs... :headbang: If this is your case, try lowering the graphic details or something.

Last resort: Push left enter (the one on the numeric pad) when in game and choose fast menus. Then navigate menus with arrows and pageup/page down.
Ender of the Xennons, loosing fleet after fleet against the Khaak.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 00:50

X3 has smoothing on which i dont think u can turn off. I told them about this but they never told me a workaround. Id rahter it be fast and slightly inacurate than slow and accurate.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

NeonSamurai
x3

Post by NeonSamurai » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 02:51

Personally I've always kind of wished that you could optionally set the mouse to act as a virtual joystick while flying (its fine for turrets as is imho, though they could always add a second check box for that). They also really should have added 2 speed sliders in the game (one for piloting, one for menus).

Anyhow the downside with no in game control setting is of course you have to keep switching the mouse speed each time you are about to play, and quit playing (so your mouse isn't super sensitive in windows). Also it can be pesky when trying to use the menus with an over sensitive mouse.

Me I gave up on trying to play with the mouse along time ago, too much of a pain to be constantly lifting up the mouse and moving it, aside from the movement lag from the ship (which feels weird when using a mouse). Joystick is far better, even an old twitchy one like mine ;)

Phier
x3tc

Post by Phier » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 03:02

Gaming mice tend to have different sensitivity settings you can change with a small button on the mouse.

That would be the best work around I can think of.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 07:33

I think Carlo is likely right. If you have a very powerful machine then, bizarrely enough, the mouse cursor movement will be very slow. Enabling VSync in your graphics drivers to reduce the screen update rapidity will actually improve mouse performance.

dmrogers
x3ap

Post by dmrogers » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 16:09

Thanks for the replies. I'll give the ideas a go!

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 18:42

Sry but vsync is what makes it worse, i find that fps and controls responce is greatly improved with vsync off in majority of games. I only enable it if i experiance tearing on the screen.
[ external image ]

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 19:54

Skeeter wrote:Sry but vsync is what makes it worse, i find that fps and controls responce is greatly improved with vsync off in majority of games.
X3 is not "the majority of games"--I assure you that there is a well-known issue with the mouse cursor being unresponsive in X3 if you're running on a very powerful system (e.g. have a very high frame rate) with VSync off.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 2. Mar 08, 20:28

Yes i know the prob all too well mate.

Usually vsync off cos well its evil lol. But regardless of on or off it never helped me.
[ external image ]

Clades
x3tc

Post by Clades » Wed, 13. Jul 11, 08:43

I have same problem .

The mouse is very slow. In windows its OK, in all games is OK but in X3 Reunion & terran conflict es very slow.

My PC is
Intel i5 2500 k 3,3@4,4 ghz
4 Gb DDR3 1866 cl 8
ATI 5870
HDD WD caviar black 1 TB 64 MB.

I only problems in this game whit the mouse speed.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Wed, 13. Jul 11, 15:04

Great NECRO dude... 3 years and counting :roll:

:skull: DON'T WAKE THE DEAD! :skull:

iss2000ca
x3tc

Post by iss2000ca » Wed, 13. Jul 11, 17:12

Hi, I have the same problem with TC but not with X3:R. I figure out that if I reduce the screen resolution in the game, I can speed the mouse movement up without changing the mouse setting. If you don't mind the trade off, you can try this out.

This is my 2 cents......

jon66

Post by jon66 » Thu, 21. Feb 13, 17:03

I had the same problem with my microsoft mouse and my sensitivity was already at maximum but i had an option in my mouse pointer options to disable a box saying 'Enhance pointer precision' which has increased sensetivity a bit more.

bumpinthenight
x3tc

Post by bumpinthenight » Mon, 20. May 13, 22:32

I just noticed this situation myself after taking a long pause from X3AP. Specifically what happens for me is this: Without doing anything the main menu sits at 60FPS and everything is moving along nicely. But, if I move my mouse the FPS drops into the mid 30s for the first second or so and the cursor is shadowing my movments with a very distinct slowed-down delay (to the point where when I stop moving the mouse it'll take a half second or so for the cursor to stop). But if I keep swirling the mouse around for more then a second or two the FPS will start to climb back and the mouse gets more responsive. If I stop moving the mouse and watch the FPS climb back to 60 and try again its the same thing all over, first few seconds are delayed and then the mouse is fine.

While this is going on the onscreen stuff like the ships passing by and the music go smooth as the FPS would suggest they do. If I go into the game its the same situation but interestingly its only the mouse, using my joystick exhibits no such issue. I've tried toggling that 'enhanced precision' under win7's mouse properties without any substantial change and I've tried forcing vsync on/off, dropping the graphics settings to really low resolution & no AA etc without any change either, it behaves this way at 5760x1080 with 8xAA and 1280x1024 0xAA all the same and even the same FPS hit weirdly enough. No mods are involved either just to rule those out.

I honestly can't even remember if this is something that was always present in the X3 series but its brutally noticable when you see Fraps' numbers drop to half whenever I touch the mouse and revert back when I stop.

Hardware wise I'm thinking is not really the fault:
2600K @4.6Ghz, 3x GTX580s, 16GB of ram and all the rest of the fun stuff etc.

Any additional insights would be most appreciated, even though I rarely use the mouse in this game its one of those things that now I've seen it I'll never unsee it :P

EDIT/UPDATE: I've been playing the game despite it for a bit and its pretty clear that any usage of the interface causes this, even just holding down the left/right arrows to increase/decrease a trade quantity will drop the FPS into the 30s while the key is held down. I read in a specific AP TS forum post about an ATI user who had very similar issues and rolling back their driver to another version resolved so I'm going to try a few things like that. Its true I have not played any X3 games between several driver updates over the last few months.
Za ri'gh: i2600K @ 4.6Ghz, 3xEVGA GTX580/3GB Eds, 3x24" LEDs, yada yada yada.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”