Freelancer-style Cruise Engine vs. SETA

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

beyer_garratt
x3

Freelancer-style Cruise Engine vs. SETA

Post by beyer_garratt » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 00:27

After reading the thread about SETA use/abuse in general, and how some people refused to use it for various (mainly economic) reasons, I started thinking. Personally I don't prefer to use the SETA engine, but like those 24/7 shops, the convenience outweighs the price paid.

We really should have a system that accelerates your ship only, and not the entire universe.

Anyone who has played Freelancer will know of the cruise engine. For these who haven't, I'll explain it.

Basically, when you engage the drive, all weapons systems disengage, diverting generator power to the cruise engine. It takes 10 seconds to charge, and when it fires will accelerate your ship to about 3.5 times it's normal speed (in a vanilla Freelancer to a maximum of 300 mp/s). You can run this engine for as long as you wish, to get across entire systems with relative speed. This Youtube video demonstrates it in action.

Has such a system been made for X3? I'd like to lose SETA, because although I admit to using it copiously, there's that little inkling in the back of my head telling me I'm just a little bit, sort of kinda cheating. :P

edit: Found a better video
Q) What do you call an unimpressed Kha'ak scout?

A) A bemusa triangle!

Bazza's better PPC mod! - Makes flying a capital ship much more... satisfying.
Mergelsberg's Transport Drone & my own version. -M3 freighter for TL ships.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 07:59

Cycrow keeps talking about his slipstream drive, which sounds similar to what you're asking. I really don't know much about it though - you'd need to ask him.

zazie
x4

Post by zazie » Wed, 12. Mar 08, 11:00

Lucike has made a script called Reiseantrieb , allowing higher travel speed for ships WITHOUT jump drive
Die Schiffsausrüstung bzw. Schiffsvoraussetzung

Ein Schiff der Kleinschiff- oder Großschiffklasse (M1, M2, M3, M4, M5, M6, M7, TL, TS oder TP)

Reiseantrieb

Sprungantrieb darf nicht installiert sein

Nachbrenner MK1 darf nicht installiert sein

Nachbrenner MK2 darf nicht installiert sein
Rough translation:
The script can run for itself (it is a part of a larger mod). It works for the ship classes => list above. The travel speed set does only run, if the ship has NO jumpdrive and NO afterburner.
Benutzer in diesem Forum: Keine

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”