Firefly Model

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

vtecem
x4

Firefly Model

Post by vtecem » Mon, 17. Mar 08, 00:48

I am curious, is there a better version of the Firefly class ship that is currently floating around?

The current one, imho looks decent but it has no moving parts and the rear of the ship doesn't look at all like it should.

I have seen what some people have been able to do with moving and glowing parts, is there a reason we have a substandard Firefly class ship model?

If anyone has one they use (besides the current plain looking version) please let me know. I love the look of that ship and would like to see it as it was intended.

Thanks

mayonnaiselad
x3

Post by mayonnaiselad » Mon, 17. Mar 08, 08:02

Make it yourself... :roll:
Humanity's children are coming home...
[ external image ]

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Mon, 17. Mar 08, 19:00

mayonnaiselad wrote:Make it yourself... :roll:
I would if I could, but I can't...

I am not what you would call, artistically inclined. Plus I have no knowledge of 3d software nor do I have the software needed or the means to acquire it.

So if there is anyone that is kind enough to make this or would like it just as much as me and can. I hope it can be done :?

Apollo911
x3tc

Post by Apollo911 » Tue, 18. Mar 08, 02:06

Modelling/texturing that ship might take some time. You could have a look around the web for an available mesh. I would aim for less than 50,000 poles. If you find one, there is a much higher chance of someone putting it in the game for you.
[ external image ]
From the darkness you must fall
Starting to mod? Watch my ship importing tutorial here here!

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Tue, 18. Mar 08, 04:09

Apollo911 wrote:Modelling/texturing that ship might take some time. You could have a look around the web for an available mesh. I would aim for less than 50,000 poles. If you find one, there is a much higher chance of someone putting it in the game for you.
This is the only mesh I could find after doing a little searching. Let me know if this can be worked with or if I need to look for better meshes.

http://armada2.filefront.com/file/Firefly_Meshes;85397

Thanks for the help on how to possibly get a better firefly model, since its one of my favorite shows that never was. :cry:

Apollo911
x3tc

Post by Apollo911 » Tue, 18. Mar 08, 13:41

That's not the best mesh I've seen. It has a lot of texture stretching problems, and looks a bit too low poly. I had a quick look around but only found another one on foundation 3d, but being half a million polys - it wouldn't really work.
[ external image ]
From the darkness you must fall
Starting to mod? Watch my ship importing tutorial here here!

mayonnaiselad
x3

Post by mayonnaiselad » Wed, 19. Mar 08, 21:40

Yah, I have a feeling an actual authentic Firefly wouldn't work in this game, as much of a sin it is...
Humanity's children are coming home...
[ external image ]

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Thu, 20. Mar 08, 00:18

mayonnaiselad wrote:Yah, I have a feeling an actual authentic Firefly wouldn't work in this game, as much of a sin it is...
Just curious because I don't know anything about making ships, by why not?

I have seen in XTM ships with moving parts, and whatnot.

I don't think it would need the huge plazma trail, but it would be nice. I just think if it looked similar and had the engine housing moving, that would be sufficient.

But like I said before I know nothing about modeling or X3 modeling, therefore you tell me.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 20. Mar 08, 02:05

vtecem wrote:
mayonnaiselad wrote:Yah, I have a feeling an actual authentic Firefly wouldn't work in this game, as much of a sin it is...
Just curious because I don't know anything about making ships, by why not?

I have seen in XTM ships with moving parts, and whatnot.

I don't think it would need the huge plazma trail, but it would be nice. I just think if it looked similar and had the engine housing moving, that would be sufficient.

But like I said before I know nothing about modeling or X3 modeling, therefore you tell me.
I believe what he is saying is that the original Serenity, with all its natural glory in the show, would not fit in the game, because it would be too demanding on the game to show it - half a million polys and whatnot means that your computer has to draw every single poly on there whenever it is on screen (well, not sure if it actually only draws the ones that you can see or not, but meh), and thus slows down everything else. Think a PPC swarm... but a ship instead.

As well, if i remember right, the Serenity is a mere cargo ship, and quite small at that. Not really useful tbh.

hawkbs
x4

Post by hawkbs » Sun, 30. Mar 08, 22:41

Theres a tutorial for the Firefly on Foundation 3d http://foundation3d.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1281
(Big tutorial around 100mg d/l)

Its a big tutorial and its for Lightwave using the modeller program within it.
You can cut down the size of the polys by skipping a few parts such as all the little details on the reactor etc as they just add to the poly count.
When I did that BSG Valkyrie the Polycount was something like 300000 and I managed to get it down to around 40k if i recall just by cutting out all the greebles and nurnies ( A real nightmare). Firefly would be the same.
I've actually started doing the tutorial myself but doing it in Max not LW and its quite fun and a challenge. Im only doing the high poly one though. I might do a low poly version later but the version Im doing is for my Diploma Course hehehe.

vtecem
x4

Post by vtecem » Mon, 31. Mar 08, 06:28

Thanks for the info, I'll see if I can use that tutorial. I don't know if it will help me, but it never hurts.

hawkbs
x4

Post by hawkbs » Mon, 31. Mar 08, 06:55

No probs. The guy that wrote it also has access to the real Firefly Model but is under an NDA, so its as accurate as you will get. Dont forget to download the Image files he has on there also as you'll need the reference files to setup the scene.

Deleted User

Any update?

Post by Deleted User » Fri, 18. Apr 08, 23:43

How's your Firefly comin' along?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”