weapon idea - Disruptor missle gun?? (transport defense)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Mr G

weapon idea - Disruptor missle gun?? (transport defense)

Post by Mr G » Sun, 18. May 08, 19:23

Hey everyone! id been pondering about how to best protect UT'ers, ST'ers and Commercial Agents (basically all your economical transports).

ive always seen the disruptor missiles as a complete waste of time as theyre not a disruptor missile at all.. theyre just a high powered missile.

is there any way of scripting a new ware that can be used against objects to make them disappear from the targeting system but not from the game??

If anyone is familiar with the XTM mod then think of a mass driver/heavy missile gun/disruptor missile weapon.

not designed to actually cause hull damage, the mass driver tech is used to defeat the shield systems of ships, so that the missile actually impacts the physical hull.

the disruption device is literally to overload the ships systems and what would be awesome is if the ship thats hit literally disappears of targeting systems until the ships systems reboot.

that way there would be no way of NPC ships targeting ships and using this system to lower defenses easily. (tho technically a player could switch to manual targeting and fire at the target without aim assists :S)

the idea is for this to be either a missile system or like the heavy missile gun, as a weapon system and ammo. mounted on a transports turret to disable attacking ships for long enough to get a bit of distance away from them.

i suppose to discourage players using it as a quick kill system on heavy fighters it could be a L size ware or possibly an XL size ware to protect high expense transports

let me know what you guys think, and any scripters, if its possible...

cheers :)

G

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Sun, 18. May 08, 19:32

are you saying you want the target of the weapon to be un-targetable?
Or that you want the target to be unable to shoot someone after hit by this missile?

For the first one, i believe you can simply set it friendly towards everyone, then NPC's wont shoot at it... player still does whatever he wants.

for the second one, i believe you can force a ship to just sit there with a standby command or something.

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Sun, 18. May 08, 19:49

well the idea is that the attacking ship gets hit by it... looses control and as if you were looking at it in the hud view, the box around the ship would flicker and then disappear as well as disappear from the sector list too.

Even if you could see it and go up to it, if you tried to target it, it would be like it wasn't there.

the effect could last for 2 minutes and the ships systems would reboot and come back on.. the ship would re-appear on the sector list and on the hud and go about its business as usual.

im wondering if thats even possible

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Sun, 18. May 08, 21:03

Im not sure about the HUD stuff, but I /think/ you can simply jump the player target to null, and make the other ship dissapear without an explosion, and make it reappear later? (making sure to take note of everything that was in it of course).

Then again, im sure there is a better way to do this, I really am a noob at scripting such things.

Mr G

Post by Mr G » Mon, 19. May 08, 00:08

i suppose u can make a change to the colour of the attacking ships hud box to be the colour thats chosen by X3 as transparent, give it a standby order for a set period of time to stop it dead and not engage in any action. the ship is turned to friend for the 'grace' period whilst the defending ship is scripted to stand down and continue with the previous action.

id love the weapon hit effect to be that of the PCG's... that disorientation coupled with the standby order would look convincing for a knockout blow.

for a players ship to be hit.. you could enlarge the transparent hud change to the whole hud and menus to look like its taken out ur whole ships systems.

does that sound close to what can be done in the script to look convincing?

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”