The battle for maelstrom.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

The battle for maelstrom.

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 31. May 08, 11:47

BBS News Service.

The fringe sector of maelstrom has long been held by pirates, but the profits from trade have ensured some foolhardy people try to eke out a living in this long forgotten region. It was in this setting where the residents of a besieged shield fab witnessed a most amazing struggle.

A minor skirmish near one of the gates saw a pirate bail from his falcon. the victor swooped in and claimed the prize. A large ship was seen entering the sector and the falcon headed off to dock. It was a trap. Dozens of pirates boiled through the gate and headed for the crippled prize.

The lone pilot, who had somehow aquired an LX, turned to face the horde, desperate to protect his capture. In a precision attack, what was a pristine (and rare) xenon craft was horribly disfigured by a mass of missiles. Although badly damaged, the fighter managed to ward off the attacking wave of pirates, only to be confronted by a larger group entering from the other side of the sector. Hopelessly crippled, the LX turned towards the only other friendly ship in the sector and docked. Soon after an ageing elite emerged and turned to face the oncoming storm. Far from being outclassed, the Elite out turned, outpaced and outgunned the competition. The aftermath was a sea of abandoned craft which were quickly claimed. ANOTHER group of pirates emerged near the mother ship. They headed straigh towards it, no doubt to destroy it and any remaining ships in its hanger. To the surprise of the onlookers, the ship which was assumed to be a clunky TL opened up with a withering barrage of fire.

Reports of this encounter were originally dismissed by the general public untill a heavily damaged LX was seen to limp into the shipyards of Omricon Lyrae and soon afterwards reports of a large group of captured pirate craft making a pathetic convoy towards an unknown destination in Elysium of light began to surface.

Patrols were dispatched to Maelstrum where nothing but masses of wreckage can be found.

Maelstrom is open for trade now. It will be some time before the pirates can recover.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Sat, 31. May 08, 12:12

Nicely done

XanII
x4

Post by XanII » Sat, 31. May 08, 19:21

Maelstrom deserves its reputation as a treacherous sector. Bad luck follows you there.

jlehtone
x4

Re: The battle for maelstrom.

Post by jlehtone » Sat, 31. May 08, 20:46

philip_hughes wrote:Maelstrom is open for trade now. It will be some time before the pirates can recover.
Vengeful souls are they. More restless everywhere now, whether they lost any kin down there or not. Some of the hotheaded ones undoubtably use this incident as excuse for wreaking havoc of their own.

"Elite pilot"? Now that is a term I have not heard for a while. Probably because of not extending my travels to that direction. Feared were the assassins in their sleek Fer-de-lance cruisers who did have that coveted classification.
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sat, 31. May 08, 23:42

Tried to avoid as many extended references as possible. Seeing most of it was done in an elite I had to mention that.

The story actually had 2 endings, I saved before taking on a carrick. Ending 1:

"after a brilliant display of dogfighting skill the pilot blundered into a Maelstrom of weapons fire from an unknown pirate capital ship. the elite was shredded in a matter of seconds and two strange words floated across the sector."

(I was trying to stay out of flak range and hit him with ahepts... unsuccessful) :oops:

Dragoongfa
x4

Post by Dragoongfa » Sun, 1. Jun 08, 02:52

I get that the TL was an M1 right?

BTW, i think that the pilot doesn't know how to use Mosquito Missile Defense :P , either that of he forgot to put something faster than HEPTs on the turrets.

Poor LX, he does not deserve you, BAD PHIL.

Next time capture it on FRAPS too.

PS: If you have trouble with capital ships, get a Terran M3.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Sun, 1. Jun 08, 06:49

Poor LX, he does not deserve you, BAD PHIL.
Very perceptive. I like having BHEPTs in the back, apac in front. Sometimes does not quite cope with all that m4 missile spam. In reality, it only got around 5% damage to its hull. Just enough to reduce its top speed a little. Good oppertunity to crack out the elite and find out what it could do. 2 AHEPTs in the rear. You never have any energy, but it really shreds the bad guys regardless which end is pointing where!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”