Wingmen

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Corbz

Wingmen

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 20:32

i was wondering if there is any way in which to assign ships including and above M6's as wingmen, or any way which is effectively like a wingman.

Thanks

jlehtone
x4

Re: Wingmen

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 21:39

Corbz wrote:or any way which is effectively like a wingman.
Could you describe first what you expect the "wingman option" to do?
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 21:47

options like "protect" and "attack target of" effectively turn into wingmen.
Also there's a built in "wingman" button on every ship, which gives you two extra commands "wingmen, attack" and "wingmen, protect".
The Bonus pack has Group management script(s) that let you do a lot more.

take your pick

at the end, you still rely on a not so clever AI
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

Corbz

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 21:58

Could you describe first what you expect the "wingman option" to do?
well, for example shift F7 is wingmen attack enemies. Just ive got a few M6's, and with XTM i have the Argon M1 Leviatham, which allows M6's to dock with it. So i would like them to dispatch along with the various M3's i have. Ok i guess the question is, is there anythign i can do, that will allow me to group together a set of ships and give a command to them as a group.
Also there's a built in "wingman" button on every ship, which gives you two extra commands "wingmen, attack" and "wingmen, protect".
for every ship, i cant find it for M6's, where is this option?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:01

Corbz wrote:
for every ship, i cant find it for M6's, where is this option?
hm, I think you are right there - that particular option is for fighters only.
I'd check the Group scripts instead then.
Corbz wrote:is there anythign i can do, that will allow me to group together a set of ships and give a command to them as a group.
The bonus pack :wink:

Corbz

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:11

lol, without sounding stupid....what is the bonus pack? :oops:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:18

See the announcement at the top of the forum.

Basically it's a collection of additional commands - scripts written by players, but tested and somewhat official (so it won't mark your game as modified).

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:24

Corbz wrote:lol, without sounding stupid....what is the bonus pack? :oops:
linky

Corbz

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:27

ah cool, thanks for the help ppl :)

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:35

You can force ships to become wingman with a script, if you really wanted to. I have a script sitting on my machine I wrote to filter your property menu by a string you give it, but it has to be triggered by the script editor right now. I might set it up to use a secondary ship command and release it though, if there is demand. ...

Corbz

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 22:39

well, id use it, all i wnt is to make my M6's wingmen, and if ur script can enable any ship to be a wingmen, im sure ppl would be up for having it tbh. Nothing majorly changing, just very useful.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 23:18

I could set it as so...

At the moment, you trigger the script, and it asks you for a string of text. Any and all ships whose name contains that string of text, it will make a wingman. It unfortuantly also clears all other wingmen first... I could do a simple change sometime so a secondary command could switch wingman status on/off for any given ship, however...

Corbz

Post by Corbz » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 23:23

ah i see, so the group of ships would have to have something common in their name. Obv if u just put Nova, it wud make all novas regardless a wingman, correct?

Well if you could do that, that would be lovely :) perhaps u shud make a poll or something in the script forum to see if their is a demand? Got my vote anyway.

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Thu, 26. Jun 08, 23:29

Mmm yea, something like that. It works rather well, except the big fat lack of proper UI/command slots. Might as well get those working, lemme see what I can do with command slots, and then Ill try to package it into a proper script.

Edit.
No secondary commands available, but I could put it in the general menu...

Carl Sumner
x4

Post by Carl Sumner » Fri, 27. Jun 08, 04:38

There are two kinds of "wingman". 8)

The first is just a ship running the "Protect..." command, which can have any ship as the leader, or the "Attack target of..." command if the leader is using the Patrol commands.

The other is a ship with the "Wingman" switch (in it's command menu) set to yes, which is only for the players own ship as leader. It enables hotkey commands, as mentioned above. Make sure this is not turned on for any of your other ships, in other sectors, or they can take off across the universe when you hit the hotkey. :)

I believe the new Group commands are like the first type, but I haven't used them yet.
Tinker

"If engineers built buildings the way programmers write programs, the first woodpecker that came along would destroy civilization!"

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”