Crashing to desktop problem

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

When do you get Crashes To Desktop (CTD) 1.2patch only

When saving game
21%
When docking at a station
17%
When docking at a Gate
7%
When the screen is busy (lots of khaak etc)
3%
Intermittent CTD at anytime (Often)
27%
Intermittent CTD at anytime (NOT Often)
12%
Never experienced a CTD ( All patches )
14%

Total votes: 475

veelad
x3tc

Crashing to desktop problem

Post by veelad » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 11:02

I am trying to find some stats on the Crashing to Desktop Issue. Could you please ensure 1.2patch is installed before voting. Thanx.

Feel free to post CTD problems in this tread, but please keep it to CTD issues only.

Cheers all

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 14:04

You forgot the "Never experienced a CTD in 1.2" option, given that your poll is explicitly about CTDs in that patch. The only CTD I ever got was once when saving at a station in 1.1--never had a problem before or since.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 15:15

The new trade script does it for me - when reissuing the command after moving to a new sector.

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 16:24

SteveMill wrote:The new trade script does it for me - when reissuing the command after moving to a new sector.
Yup me to , i reinstalled his beta script (exactly the same) before it went official and it works fine again :)

Work that one out :gruebel:

IIRC he's fixed it now but i must get home from work to test :(
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

ShadowTek
x2

Post by ShadowTek » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 16:29

Had a ton of CTD's on save in 1.1, havent had any yet in 1.2.
Proud member of the PHPBB Network!
Feel free to upload or download X2 Mods!!

veelad
x3tc

Post by veelad » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 17:13

Pjknibbs wrote
You forgot the "Never experienced a CTD in 1.2" option, given that your poll is explicitly about CTDs in that patch. The only CTD I ever got was once when saving at a station in 1.1--never had a problem before or since.
The poll script will only allow you so many questions for a poll, I wanted to add more about CTDs but the website wouldnt allow it, so I stuck to what I thought may be the main one's,

You are right, with the never experienced a CDT in 1.2 poll question, so what i did was ask people to have 1.2 patch installed and then add to the poll, so we get a better piccie of those still getting CDT's after patch 1.2

I had 14 original poll questions LOL, but unfortunately the website didnt like it and told me to reduce the list somewhat :gruebel:

Humongo
x2

Post by Humongo » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 19:43

Had my first CTD's since the 1.2 patch last night. In Family Njy i got my Disco between Split caps and an XN-dying horribly. CTD upon loading save from Trading station. Tried the same save point about 3 times, and once it crashed while starting X. I had saved over an old 1.1 (I didn't start X until after the 1.1 patch was released). Had about 5 slots with 1.1 slots overwritten-no problems before.

I reloaded from a previous save in the eguip dock a couple of minutes sooner and no problem. Left the game saving to a new slot. Maybe that one save point was corrupt, but it shouldn't corrupt saving over a 1.1. Only thing I can't explain is the one crash upon merely restarting X.

This morn ran a disc check to fix any lost clusters, should be fine now.
XP2000-XPHomeSP1
512 DDR333-80GB Diamondmax on ata133
ATI 9700pro-21" Trin.

Da_Junka
x3tc

Post by Da_Junka » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 20:42

The only CTD I have had has been to do with the auto save, so I switched it off and no more CTD.
~Intel i5 2500K ~ Nvidia GTX 670 ~ Z77 chipset ~ 16 gig Vengence ~Win 7 64bit ~

veelad
x3tc

Autosave

Post by veelad » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 21:23

Yup, when i first got this game, I read all the horrors of the autosave crash LOL, so I switched it off from the word go, and never had a CTD untill i had patch 1.2, and that was a manual save, it blobbed to desktop.
Im luchy in that i save very often, so no harm done....But, it did happen, and it will probably happen again.

The poll looks like its showing intermittent not very often crashes as the biggest problem so far (early days yet)

Im a bit cheesed that i didnt add pjknibbs poll question to make it more scientific, and I should have left out the last poll question.

Too late now though Damn it :cry:

CoWaRD
x2

Post by CoWaRD » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 02:18

Well, the first two options can be interchanged really. When docking the system autosaves and the CTD is the same as when manually saving. It's just that one is automatic, but it's the same bug. CTD, then the save is corrupt and won't load again. Saving over the slot works and the problem goes away. (for a while)
It would have been interesting to note how many game hours have been played and how many gates passed through to give some indication of how many saves before problem occurs.

I have been playing for 5days, 9 hours, 29 minutes. and visited 67 sectors passing 367 jump gates. Used goner insurance once. But had 2 CTD when manually saving and 1 CTD autosaving.

veelad
x3tc

Thats very true

Post by veelad » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 09:19

Yessssss

Of course, I hadnt thought about that before, BUT its obvious now, as soon as you dock, if autosave is on, crash, and your right, probably is the same bug as manual saving.

4% have now reported CTD when screen busy mmmmm, my screen was very busy, when i went to save manualy at a station, wonder if its related ?.

Humongo
x2

Post by Humongo » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 21:02

I noticed practically all my saves are fragmented when I view a defrag report, (has been noted elsewhere) but I don't want to set up a partition just for X2, and I only have one drive, (but it's a good one.

Is it a possible contributor to some saves getting corrupted? Hopefully Ego will look at this-in the meantime use the rule: Save often-defrag at least weekly. :split:
XP2000-XPHomeSP1
512 DDR333-80GB Diamondmax on ata133
ATI 9700pro-21" Trin.

veelad
x3tc

Anyting is possible

Post by veelad » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 17:15

Anything is possible when its crashing to desktop. I think I'l have a look at my drive, see if i can see anything untowards

Wlfric
x2

Post by Wlfric » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 19:24

How about CTD when LOADING a saved game?
I'd played for quite a long time. Then I got 1.2 and the trading mk3 thing. First save out of the gate was an autosave and a manual save (I did both) Both autosave and manual save boot me to desktop when I try to load them.
Maybe I should uninstall the trading mk3? Or go back to version 1.1? Had no troubles with CTD with 1.1. Ever.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night.
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

veelad
x3tc

same here

Post by veelad » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 21:45

I was the same, my first CDT was after patch 1.2 and trading extension, but I have now been saving frequently and manually in different save slots just incase. however so far, i havent had another CDT.

Maybe i shouldnt have written that, it will be the kiss of death next time I save LOL :(

shkwav
x2

Post by shkwav » Sat, 24. Jan 04, 13:54

I get CTD's often and randomly :( I have 1.2 - I suspect it an ATI issue, generally ATI owners seem to be getting a LOT more CTDs than NVidia owners from what i've seen on these forums... :(

Kev

veelad
x3tc

Thats interesting

Post by veelad » Sat, 24. Jan 04, 17:27

Thats interesting, I have an ATI chipped card, wonder how many others who have crahed have ATI graphics :gruebel:

roadster
x2

Post by roadster » Sun, 25. Jan 04, 00:26

built new computer installed game installed patch 1.2 been playing flat out and saved game dozens of times {alternating slots} and i have been enjoying this game without one CTD.

roadster
x2

Post by roadster » Sun, 25. Jan 04, 00:33

uPDATE I have a nvidea card and a friend has ATI card and he said he stopped playing to many CTD.
cheers.

veelad
x3tc

Thats very interesting

Post by veelad » Sun, 25. Jan 04, 01:20

It would be good, if when you post in this thread to say what video card your using, it may or may not be relevant, but the more information the better. has anyone had a cdt with a nvidia card, thats a good question.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”