Mass drivers: what they should really be like.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RustiSwordz
x2

Mass drivers: what they should really be like.

Post by RustiSwordz » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 19:19

Mass drivers are useless weapons, but where the PSG is crazy at stripping shields then IMHO mass drivers should be the same but for hull damage.

a PSG for nuking shields, and a MD for killing the hull.

:D
RustiSwordz Art Blog:

http://rustiswordz.blogspot.com/

MikeStalker

Post by MikeStalker » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 20:31

Mass drivers are already powerfull enough, a greater range might not go amis since they are mass insted of energy blasts it might help the realism out... and maybe a increased ammo capacity since you can chew through 1000 ammo pretty fast in a titan.. but the damage and speed of them seems to be almost perfect for what they are designed to do.. AKA kill the small ships.
Nova captures: 15

Tai Gordon
x2

Post by Tai Gordon » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 21:15

making mass drivers like the old PSG's?
are you crazy?
i already call myself a mass driver fetishist, but i would never make them that powerfull...that would be too devastating and unbalanced...
i thought, as already written in scripting forum, that an increase of the damage from 15 to 25 would change worlds...
it's just driving me nuts that i have to keep shooting nearly 5 minutes on a xenon m3 that i get rid of it...that's far too long...
25 would be nearly perfect(i just would have to try, but i guess this damage value is still enough balanced)

greetz :x2:
tai
Commander of the Perpetua Nox Mercenary Unit, now under the banner of N.O.V.A.
N.O.V.A. Fleet Captain
-
oderint dum metuant
-
[ external image ]

Momaw
x3tc

Post by Momaw » Wed, 21. Jan 04, 22:38

Anybody who says that mass drivers are pointless weapons just isn't using them correctly. I mopped up a Khaak cluster in record time with them; get the M3 with B-HEPT's, then chase down all the irritating little M5's with the mass drivers. Excellent rate of fire and projectile speed means that even though they don't do a lot of damage, you're guaranteed to score a lot of hits on your target. Don't use them against heavy fighters or capital ships, use them against M5's and missiles. If you can hit the target with a bigger (slower) gun then use it, the mass driver is all about precision, not power.

Tai Gordon
x2

Post by Tai Gordon » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 06:50

but a slight increase of the damage value would be great at all :D

because i want to use them against M3's and other crafts

greetz :x2:
tai
Commander of the Perpetua Nox Mercenary Unit, now under the banner of N.O.V.A.
N.O.V.A. Fleet Captain
-
oderint dum metuant
-
[ external image ]

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 09:18

Trouble is, ships are destroyed once you knock their hull out, so having more powerful mass drivers would make it really easy to destroy enemy ships; after all, even ion disruptors and PSGs take a while to whittle down the shields on a cap ship!

SunFire
x3tc

Post by SunFire » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 09:59

I like the mass dirver how it is, good for taking down m4's and m5's in a flash. Besides its my favourite capture weapon for m3's.

Why would you make a weapon more deadly that can be mounted on a crappy m4 buster? you would have a unbalanced weapon.

If it only could be mounted on m3's id say ok then maybe they should be alittle more powerfull.

If you did beef it up whats the point of having shields then? :roll:

abaddon
x3tc

Post by abaddon » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 18:06

mass drivers are perfect - in combination with ion canons, they make capturing fairly intact ships easy in a nova.

Just blast away a little with dual mass drivers (take the hull down maybe 10%), then strip off the shields with the ion canons - a lot of pilots will bail out immediatly.

Tanall
x4

Post by Tanall » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 18:56

As mentioned earlier, Mass Drivers are fine the way they are. Good for dogfights against enemies you just cant hit...that and the sight of a Dragon 'Flak Nest' is something to be feared and respected...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”