EGOSOFT: d tThis is a CRITICAL Issue through all Versions!!!

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Konky
x2

EGOSOFT: d tThis is a CRITICAL Issue through all Versions!!!

Post by Konky » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 09:32

Hello,
First of all, i played 3 hours yesterday evening´with a new joystick and 1.2
It actually was fun, but it's really much too hard to learn the game, all those command upgrades are rarely if at all explained and sometimes don't work cause something is missing where you have no clue what and how to obtain. And sometimes my ship just explodes during flight or when leaving a station. puff. maybe it´was this ramming issue but i did not see or here a crash, i just exploded. (and no i do not have any cheats/cracks)
--
Well but the real main issue, which also got written in the forums for a few times is the dramatic framedrop when sound is played!!!
To verfy this fly 500m to some asteroid or ship, then unload your gun on it. after a few hits the framerate drops very badly. i'd say down to 1 or 2 fps if you hit enough.
I think it is a bug in your sound engine maybe some blending effects but nothing that can't be fixed! I expected that for 1.1 then for 1.2 now i write to get it fixed in 1.3 (hopefully soon).

And my specs are top:
XP2800+
1gig ddr400 ram
Radeon 9800XT with 256mb ddr

I really expect an official response on that, cause it is really a bad issue!
btw, joystick steering is allright now.

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 11:31

Your mysterious death on leaving the station may be the station door closing on you if you have no forward velocity.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 12:01

Silly question: why are you posting a problem which is ostensibly about sound, then not saying what sort of sound card you have in your PC? That will make a difference, believe me--I get no noticeable slowdowns when blasting things, but I'm using a SoundBlaster Live!.

Andergum
x3

Post by Andergum » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 12:50

No slowdowns here using the SB Audigy.

One thing to check is to make sure your sound and video card are not sharing any IRQ's or DMA's.

In Win XP you can use System Information to check for conflicts.

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 13:01

Andergum wrote:No slowdowns here using the SB Audigy.

One thing to check is to make sure your sound and video card are not sharing any IRQ's or DMA's.

In Win XP you can use System Information to check for conflicts.
Same here... Audigy Gamer.
Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed... lest the ground come up and smite thee.
www.javafoundry.com/flashfire

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 13:46

SB Live! and no slowdowns.

I suspect he is using on-board sound.

REAPER1812
x3

Post by REAPER1812 » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 14:38

I've got an extigy and all the USBs share the same IRQ as the video card, should I move the video card to a new IRQ??

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 14:53

REAPER1812 wrote:I've got an extigy and all the USBs share the same IRQ as the video card, should I move the video card to a new IRQ??
You won't be able to. Part of the way the ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) system in modern PCs works is that it shares out all your cards on a single IRQ, so unless you reinstall your copy of Windows to use a NON-ACPI compliant HAL you can't change the IRQ.

Thing is, modern sound cards should be designed to work this way, so it SHOULDN'T be a problem.

Nestan
x3tc

Post by Nestan » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 15:02

unless you have an old computer your video card is AGP even if its onboard and AGP doesnt share IRQ's with anything.

White Tiger
x2

Post by White Tiger » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 15:22

Nestan, you are correct.
A AGP video card does not share IRQ's.

KiwiNZ,
His problem is not his onboard sound card. I have a onboard AC97 sound and do not get the slow down when firing.

I think he needs to try two things. One for the ship exploding is to make sure he accelerates at once when he comes out of a station. Ether use the rudder on the JS or hit the "tab" key. For the sound, he should try setting his sound acceleration tab down in the Dxdiag program, the Direct Sound settings.. This has been reported with others to help with sound problems.

Andergum
x3

Post by Andergum » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 15:55

Try going into the bios and changing the port for the printer or disabling things like serial ports that you aren't using. When windows reboots it will re-assign the DMA's and often times to a more favorable configuration.

USB's can share with the sound card and sometimes even with the video card but the best config is to have the video card all alone on its own sharing nothing.

It may take a bit of playing around but a re-install of the OS is not necessary.

vrman
x2

Post by vrman » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 16:37

Hercules Game Theater XP here and no problems.

Spacerogue
x2

Post by Spacerogue » Thu, 22. Jan 04, 19:51

Try turning down the volume a little...

:P

CT3
x2

Post by CT3 » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 00:58

pjknibbs wrote:Silly question: why are you posting a problem which is ostensibly about sound, then not saying what sort of sound card you have in your PC? That will make a difference, believe me--I get no noticeable slowdowns when blasting things, but I'm using a SoundBlaster Live!.
same here

||
\/

MikeStalker

Post by MikeStalker » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 01:24

Many slowdowns while playing sound are caused by shared IRQ's you may wish to make sure your sound card is not sharing with anything ESPECIALY the video card..
Nova captures: 15

REAPER1812
x3

Post by REAPER1812 » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 04:52

If you really want to try and move IRQs around in Win2000 (maybe winxp?), turn off ACPI in your bios and then in device manager under computer, "update driver" for the ACPI compliant computer and change it to a standard PC (you'll have to unselect compatable devices only). You'll need to reboot many times to get all of your drivers reinstalled. Now, I still can't move my IRQs around, but before my network card, geforce 5200 fx, and 4 usb controllers (one with my extigy) were on 7. Now the video is on 10, network and one USB controller on 11, and three usb controllers on 12. Don't know if this will help anyone, plus now my computer will no longer turn off automtaically (brings back memories of win95 :doh: ) since ACPI takes care of that, but it might be worth a shot, and I'm assuming you can always turn acpi back on and update the driver back to ACPI compliant computer.

Ok this works like crap for an extigy, stutters when just playing MP3s, maybe internal cards can benefit though.

Weedy
x3

Post by Weedy » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 06:19

No slowdowns here audigy 2 Platium. The Only SlowDown I have Is When I Smoke A Joint :lol:

Andergum
x3

Post by Andergum » Fri, 23. Jan 04, 08:13

When I want to change my IRQ's around I go into my mobo bios and change the IRQ of the printer port and reboot. The system re-assigns the IRQ's and often this fixes any conflicts. If that doesn't work then I move the sound card to another slot and try again until I get a good set-up with as few things sharing IRQ's as possible.

Konky
x2

Post by Konky » Sun, 25. Jan 04, 22:30

Hi.
Yes i got an onboard soundblaster on all my computers. (ac97)
and i can play any 3d game at very good performance on them (ut2k3 as ultimate example).
One of my computers is a XP2800 the other one a XP2000.
3d cards are one radeon 9800xt256mb and a nv4600 256mb.
and memory is at 512 and 1 gig ddr400 .
I got better hardware than 90% here and i can NOT play this game because the framerate drops to a bad slideshow if i hit a ship.LOL!
I do not have shared irqs for my ac97/3d card, and as i said i got very good benchmarking results everywhere, and ONLY X2 performs so bad.
Even Deus Ex2 was better and it is well known for it's bad performance!

(If the technical support thread had been readable for guests i had NEVER bought a that buggy game!:(

I read threads that the game is not ati optimized, no problem it is also not nvidia optimized..

This bug is so serious that it stops me from playing the game at all, slideshow..

Konky
x2

Post by Konky » Wed, 28. Jan 04, 13:39

i will keep writing about this until i got some official response.
My computer is definitly not buggy, as i can play ANY game at top performance, any but X2.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”