550 million in the bank - save up for Avarice or build factories / complexes?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

EpicArmour

550 million in the bank - save up for Avarice or build factories / complexes?

Post by EpicArmour » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 03:05

I have a little dilemma. With this amount of cash in the bank and growing (i have about 25 UT's running round at the mo). Do you think that holding out to bid and eventually buy Avarice is worth it or should the money be better spent building up a factory / complexes and forget the Avarice thing altogether. As i know that Avarice won't stay around forever, would i be missing out on a once in a X3 lifetime opportunity or is it just a waste of money. I'd like to hear from people who have bought it as well as those who let the offer slip them by. Just what is a guy to do!!!

captaind
x3tc

Post by captaind » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 03:18

Avarice is the proverbial 'waste of space'. Why buy it when you can already build there?!? All you gain is the chance to name it from a pre defined selection. Take my advice. Spend your money on anything else. let Burnit win the bidding war!
OMG the thargons are coming to tea. Quick get the best china out!

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 10:31

Well I payed 650MCr for mine and haven't touched it yet, so I quess you can say it aint worth it. though I now have 850 MCr in bank so it doesn't really matter.

You can always get more money, naming a sector is one time thing.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 10:33

Avarice is a once in a game opportunity, but it's also a waste of money :).

Unless you really want to buy it, don't bother.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 11:32

Geggo wrote:You can always get more money, naming a sector is one time thing.
Carlo wrote:Unless you really want to buy it, don't bother.
Agreed. If getting credits is fun, then you eventually have to throw some away in order to be able to gather some more. It does not really matter where you throw them, does it? So choose the trashcan freely.

JMCorp
x4

Post by JMCorp » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 15:07

agreed. if you have the cash to do it, buy the sector. if not, dont. avarice is no longer the status symbol it once was, ever since the patch that made it much easier to get.

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 15:12

In XTM avarice is actually semi-useful as it has some decent 'roids.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 15:29

Best reason IMO for buying Avarice is to get rid of the BBS spam asking if you want to buy it. Not saying that's a particularly good reason for spending such a vast amount of money, but if you do a lot of BBS missions it gets very tedious seeing exactly the same messages at every station.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 16:08

Averice makes pretty good supply depot for ship in the universe.
And with the supper tractor from gazz i am placing all my big weapon shields ships fab's there.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 20. Aug 08, 19:57

mufassa wrote:In XTM avarice is actually semi-useful as it has some decent 'roids.
xeon_1 wrote:Averice makes pretty good supply depot for ship in the universe.
And neither of those uses requires ownership. Besides, as long as the Trading Station is NPC-owned, it does sell tunings for ships. Neat, should you happen to build a PHQ there (not to mention that Bartering requires NPC Trade Dock, and that Bartering while PHQ is in same sector can be interesting).

Bothersome
x3tc

Post by Bothersome » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 00:35

My current game has my HQ there. I'm testing new strategies to building spread-out complexes. Instead of tugging roids, I just put L mines on them where they are and make use of them through CLS1. Not sure the profits are as much as open complexes because of excess jump fuel used, but it's fun none the less experimenting.

Oh yea, beyond the "sell nividium for max price" process, I found a way to make mucho dinero in relatively short playing time. At my current rate, I can have a billion bux by the time they even discover there is a sector to name Avarice.

I'll not disclose this information though, it would ruin the fun for most people. In fact, it's ruined my challenge too. But I'm playing just to experiment now. Testing alternative factory and complex strategies.

Have a nice day. :)
"The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy

ganjanoof
x4

Post by ganjanoof » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 00:45

Everyone plays as he/she feels ok... but you know... you collected 500k +. That's alot of money and effort.

Sector ownership just brings nothing imho (I don't even own a sector but I read alot about X3).

In the worst case, there is a script that gives you the opportunity to claim a sector (many sectors) for free, except it defines a new "tax" system for stations settled in sectors owned by other factions (and it assumes you impersonate your own faction).

But so what ??? there is no *economical nor military* point to be the owner of a sector. That is like you would ask : is it better to be the president of a country, or either, the richest man in that country or the most powerful man in that country. Well, as a virtual full-stop dictator, I'd say, if you're not both, there is no way you could be the president. And pretending to be would just be useless...

:wink:

Poobah
x3tc

Post by Poobah » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 00:58

Why buy Avarice?

Because you can.
Lead me not into temptation,
For I can find the way myself!

ganjanoof
x4

Post by ganjanoof » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 01:03

You also can buy and equip say maybe 6 M2's.

:P

EpicArmour

Post by EpicArmour » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 02:17

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm kinda leaning towards fleet and station investment instead of Avarice. I guess it's different horses for different courses so i'm probably gonna go with my gut instinct and get myself some stations and maybe treat myself to my first M2. Besides, the bidding has gone up to 780 million now anyway and i thought 615 million was taking the mickey.

dAkshEN3
x3tc

Post by dAkshEN3 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 18:18

For some reason there isnt a trading station in avarice, or does it only appear once it becomes avarice (its still unknown sector on mine, but nearly there).

anyway, i think avarice is probly the perfect place to put a huge complex of drug factories due to no customs patrols.

also, ive got ships and stuff in ther, wondering if they will get destroyed when Unknown sector becomes avarice?
Andon-Grey Corporation, Spires of Elusion
"Investors in gratuitous amounts of profit!"

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 18:27

dAkshEN6 wrote:.... or does it only appear once it becomes avarice ....
Yup.
also, ive got ships and stuff in ther, wondering if they will get destroyed when Unknown sector becomes avarice?
Nope.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”