X2 - I just discovered the wonderous PSG!

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mystikmind2005
x2

X2 - I just discovered the wonderous PSG!

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 00:40

Hi

I have been running through a new game of X2 after not playing it for quite some time.... and also because i cannot play X3 anymore since i got it through steam (stupid me).

Anyway, just yesterday i decided to try and use PSG's for the first time even though i have always considered them of no use because of colateral damage.

I decided to use them for pirate base raids because pirate bases are not usually near any trade runs so then i don't have to worry about dumbasses getting in the way.

First off i tried a Gamma PSG in a Paranid nemesis but i discovered the nemesis has no weapons energy so i got rid of that useless peice of junk and got a Teladi Osprey with two Beta PSG's instead.

I absolutely massacred the pirate base fleet with that ship and even got a good number of captures out of it as well.

I made a descovery in that attack about the PSG that i never knew before... i saw how quickly it reduced the shields on the pirate base!! At that moment i realised i have the ultimate weapon here, i have the power to destroy the entire universe with 1 little Teladi Osprey if i so desired!!

So i headed off to the nearest Xenon sector and preceeded to decimate everything in sight, something i couldn't do before even with 20 Titans at my disposal!!!

Surely this has got to be cheating i'm thinking??

Anyway, after that, i headed off to Omicron Lyrae to intercept all the Xenon reinforcements i knew would be comming through, and i was having loads of fun until i ran out of salvage insurance!!! Yea um, i didn't know i was even using it up because i was always docking before saving - seems that docking for an m6 is broken or something?

anyway it was a sun of a bitch to continue after that because it is very difficult to use PSG's in trade routes without being able to save!! (my Argon Rep dropped from Argon Trusted freind 66% to Argon trusted freind 28% before i realised i had no choice but to stop having fun and run away from this wonderful battle
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 00:54

Well if you have just found out the power of the PSG then go get yourself an M2 oddy from your nearst friendly paronid shipyard and max it out with PSG's.

Now you can really call yourself GOD! :twisted:

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 01:18

Spaceweed Adict wrote:Well if you have just found out the power of the PSG then go get yourself an M2 oddy from your nearst friendly paronid shipyard and max it out with PSG's.

Now you can really call yourself GOD! :twisted:
hehehe, thanks, yes this is my plan but i have quite a ways to go before i can afford an M2.

But i definately won't be using that thing in any trade routes!! I will use it to clear out the Xenon sector and then i will stick with the Osprey to catch the reinforcemnents.

It is strange that i have never seen people raving about how awesome the Osprey is? It seems to be by far the best personal ship option for anyone who cannot afford an M2??

I do have a question about the Osprey tho.... why is it that the mouse cannot turn it properly? I find i have to use the arrow keys? Is there any way to fix this?
What intriguing weapons and shields will you use to protect your trade ships and sectors from the Khaak when your not home? unless you can afford capital ships *and luck* its all for nothing, NOTHING! Mwaahhhhahaha
*(amendment for TC since all the good strategy and planning is no longer enough, you also need luck)*

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 02:13

All the improved mouse controls came in with X3... so there's no way to improve things really... as for the best player ship in X2... that would be the Xenon K!!

Capt_Newbie
x3tc

Re: X2 - I just discovered the wonderous PSG!

Post by Capt_Newbie » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 02:30

mystikmind2005 wrote: First off i tried a Gamma PSG in a Paranid nemesis but i discovered the nemesis has no weapons energy so i got rid of that useless peice of junk and got a Teladi Osprey with two Beta PSG's instead.
It's interesting that Roguey's stats say the Osprey doesn't take PSGs. Mind you, they also say the Python won't take Beta Flaks when I'm pretty sure mine does. It says to flag up errors, but I just don't have the time to use two X sites.

I happened to pick up 3 GPSGs at a Paranid forge, thinking they'd be useful at some point, but the only ships I see that fit them (again, according to Roguey's) are the Zeus and Odysseus.
"Once you figure out what a a joke everything is, being the Comedian's the only thing that makes sense."

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 02:32

silentWitness wrote:All the improved mouse controls came in with X3... so there's no way to improve things really... as for the best player ship in X2... that would be the Xenon K!!
Ic, o well, thats ok, i'm getting quite used to using the arrow keys anyway, and being able to change my speed isn't all that important in an Osprey. (i cannot change my speed because fingers are not used to accessing A and Z during combat while firing with left CNTRL).

As far as the Xenon K being the best ship, well if you include 'availability' as a factor in the evaluation (in an unmodded game) then your conclusion looks pretty bizzare!!

silentWitness
x3tc

Post by silentWitness » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 02:40

You can capture Xenon K really quickly... Just arm the Ion D's and you'll have them dropping into your lap!!!!

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 02:46

Capt_Newbie wrote:It's interesting that Roguey's stats say the Osprey doesn't take PSGs. Mind you, they also say the Python won't take Beta Flaks when I'm pretty sure mine does. It says to flag up errors, but I just don't have the time to use two X sites.

I happened to pick up 3 GPSGs at a Paranid forge, thinking they'd be useful at some point, but the only ships I see that fit them (again, according to Roguey's) are the Zeus and Odysseus.
X2 dousn't have flak weapons.

As far as X3 is concearned, i do not know if PSG's are as potent as they are in X2? I have never used PSG's in X3 yet, but going by the basic attitude of changes from X2 to X3 that i have noticed so far, i would make a pretty safe bet that PSG's are not as potent in X3 as they are in X2.

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 03:11

Used to use an Osprey with really fast M5 docked as my main ships in X2. And a full complement of gunner crew.
With the change to M6's in X3, havn't cared to get another :cry:

Anyway, iirc the faster your fps the more damage they can do. A fully PSG'd anything is very scary indeed.

X3 PSG's seem a bit neutered, still very good though. I'm just wondering about a couple of the weapons shown in the TC vids out there. One looked sorta like a flamethrower of sorts... :twisted:
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 04:57

Aro wrote:Used to use an Osprey with really fast M5 docked as my main ships in X2. And a full complement of gunner crew.
With the change to M6's in X3, havn't cared to get another :cry:

Anyway, iirc the faster your fps the more damage they can do. A fully PSG'd anything is very scary indeed.

X3 PSG's seem a bit neutered, still very good though. I'm just wondering about a couple of the weapons shown in the TC vids out there. One looked sorta like a flamethrower of sorts... :twisted:
Am m5 docked with my Osprey? Brilliant, that would solve the saving game issue!

Yes anything with PSG's is deadly in X2 - So naturally when encountering any pirate ship that has such a weapon my next move will always be to reach for the escape key because i know i'm already dead!!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 08:07

mystikmind2005 wrote:Yea um, i didn't know i was even using it up because i was always docking before saving - seems that docking for an m6 is broken or something?
Not broken...it's just that an M6 docks externally at those stations it can dock at, so the game considers you to still be in space. Use the M5 tender, as already pointed out.

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 11:36

20 titans and you could not be bothered to clear xenon sectors?

Saying that the losses are really not worth it but saying that I cleared a sector with 1 M1 and 2 M2's +88 M3's. No loses but other times I can be slaughtered it just depends how many Xenon K's manage to group as your fleet travels through the gate.

As long as the M2's have got through with no issues and you do not get 4 K's attacking at the same time then you will be fine.

I got to recommend using M1's, the M3's add much needed anti fighter support and they act like wasps against the Xenon cap ships. 1 M3 will do nothing to an K but 30 will destroy it.

vr01
x4

Post by vr01 » Mon, 25. Aug 08, 11:48

mystikmind2005 wrote:Hi

and also because i cannot play X3 anymore since i got it through steam (stupid me).
Slightly OT but... why??? You should be able to download it again?

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Tue, 26. Aug 08, 07:58

Pirate hater wrote:20 titans and you could not be bothered to clear xenon sectors?

Well actually what happened was, when i got my new pc, i went back to X2 for the big fleet rematch that my old pc couldn't handle. I went in with about 15 Titans precisely and some other stuff. I cleared the gate and managed to get a nice tight formation going and swept across the sector with orders 'attack nearest enemy'. I did very well at first but then there was this 1 invincible xenon ship i noticed taking out all my Titans. For some reason the shields were very resiliant, even against several Titans. I rushed over and engaged it initially with 2 more Titans and then pounced in with my own Titan expecting it to be occupied by the other Titans but within seconds my fleet and myself went boom!

I wondered if i must have forgotten to add extra sheilds to those particular Titans or something so i reloaded and checked it out, no problem, so i just gave up the idea at that point.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Tue, 26. Aug 08, 07:59

vr01 wrote:
mystikmind2005 wrote:Hi

and also because i cannot play X3 anymore since i got it through steam (stupid me).
Slightly OT but... why??? You should be able to download it again?
No i do not have internet coverage at my new unit.

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Tue, 26. Aug 08, 09:50

mystikmind2005 wrote:
Pirate hater wrote:20 titans and you could not be bothered to clear xenon sectors?

Well actually what happened was, when i got my new pc, i went back to X2 for the big fleet rematch that my old pc couldn't handle. I went in with about 15 Titans precisely and some other stuff. I cleared the gate and managed to get a nice tight formation going and swept across the sector with orders 'attack nearest enemy'. I did very well at first but then there was this 1 invincible xenon ship i noticed taking out all my Titans. For some reason the shields were very resiliant, even against several Titans. I rushed over and engaged it initially with 2 more Titans and then pounced in with my own Titan expecting it to be occupied by the other Titans but within seconds my fleet and myself went boom!

I wondered if i must have forgotten to add extra sheilds to those particular Titans or something so i reloaded and checked it out, no problem, so i just gave up the idea at that point.
Its quite possible you had a lucky K or a bugged K.

I am building my fleet of 5 M1's, 10 M2's, 30 M6's and 440 M3's.

So far I have 2 M1, 2 M2, 8 M6 and 128 M3's.

Its taken so long to build due to all the fighters but in combat they do so much damage they are worth the cash.

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Wed, 27. Aug 08, 07:56

Pirate hater wrote: Its quite possible you had a lucky K or a bugged K.

Its taken so long to build due to all the fighters but in combat they do so much damage they are worth the cash.
Gosh, so many m3's!

Personally, i wouldn't know what to do with all those m3's while i'm waiting?? I mean you cannot use them for sector patrolls because your going to take losses that will work against your efforts?

What i am doing, is working on building up a fleet of Ospreys which i can immediately use for sector patrolls which will indirectly improve my trade income - and you never loose Ospreys so long as you keep them away from hungry Nebulas and 'in sector combat'.

Only when i stop seeing messages with trade ships getting killed will i bother to start building m3's.

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Wed, 27. Aug 08, 09:45

mystikmind2005 wrote:
Pirate hater wrote: Its quite possible you had a lucky K or a bugged K.

Gosh, so many m3's!

Personally, i wouldn't know what to do with all those m3's while i'm waiting?? I mean you cannot use them for sector patrolls because your going to take losses that will work against your efforts?

What i am doing, is working on building up a fleet of Ospreys which i can immediately use for sector patrolls which will indirectly improve my trade income - and you never loose Ospreys so long as you keep them away from hungry Nebulas and 'in sector combat'.

Only when i stop seeing messages with trade ships getting killed will i bother to start building m3's.
Error I have 168.

All the M3's are on my M1's safely docked, when OOS they will all launch if the M1 is attacked. So the M3's are safe as long as they do not launch in a busy pirate sector and feel the need to destroy the pirate base which may give me a loss but its rare.

I use the Argon M6 as sector defense over 27 sectors now, with Split Dragons being used as patrol ships which has cut down my loses. I now only lose a trade ship on a rare occasion which is replaced with a fully upgraded which has also dropped my loses. (Full cargo hold and shields)

mystikmind2005
x2

Post by mystikmind2005 » Thu, 28. Aug 08, 01:17

Pirate hater wrote:Error I have 168.

All the M3's are on my M1's safely docked, when OOS they will all launch if the M1 is attacked. So the M3's are safe as long as they do not launch in a busy pirate sector and feel the need to destroy the pirate base which may give me a loss but its rare.

I use the Argon M6 as sector defense over 27 sectors now, with Split Dragons being used as patrol ships which has cut down my loses. I now only lose a trade ship on a rare occasion which is replaced with a fully upgraded which has also dropped my loses. (Full cargo hold and shields)
I find that a Centau or a Dragon by itself can sometimes get killed in OOS combat with Khaak so i do not use them.

But since you already have them - I would recommend that you put 1 Dragon as a wingman for each Centau. Since the Dragon is faster, it won't fall behind so easily and let the Centau get killed. A Centau with a Dragon wingman is a very solid OOS defence, you should not see any losses at all.

Oh and dont use capital ships for multi sector patrolls!! I did that once and i experienced the feeling of a bug on a windscreen on more than one occasion near gates - not good at all!!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”