X2 - wingman 'flag' and patrols, ship defence etc..

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

richandtan
x3

X2 - wingman 'flag' and patrols, ship defence etc..

Post by richandtan » Mon, 6. Oct 08, 23:54

*Edit - Dohh sorry this was supposed to be in the X2 forum - Sooooorrryyyy !! Can a mod pls move for me :D

Got a few questions regarding wingmen if anyone would mind clearing up for me:...

I am a little unclear as to when the actual winman flag set on the command screen for each fighter etc.. actually needs to be set.

Is this a flag that is purly needed if I want to use the wingman shortcuts Shift6+7 OR is it needed for other situations / scripts.

I.e. :

1. With the bonus package and the patrol sector command, it says to add additional ships as wingmen to a patrol group you need to set them to protect or follow the lead ship. Do they have to have their winman flag set or not? IF so and no set them will they 'just' protect the lead ship etc..

2. I have 4 novas in my titan, with their homebase set as the ship but they dont seem to launch to protect it when it is attacked like they do with stations. Should they? Do they need to have the winman flag set? Anything else I am missing?

3. I am right in thinking that any (fighter) ship docked at a station will lauch and protect it if it is attacked ONLY if it's homebase is set to the station, NOT just docked craft ? Any use of wingman flag here?

4. If I have wingmen - with the flag set - and I use the shortcuts like attack my target or protect me.... will ALL wingmen everywhere launch and/or come to my aid ? I mean EVERYWHERE in the galaxy??

I think that's about it. Ta v much people.

Rich

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 01:51

No need to move this, since there is no general X2 forum. This forum is for all X-Universe games, as long as you're not discussing mods or scripts (bonus pack issues are ok, generally).

1. As for the wingman commands, those are specifically for ships you want to follow you. They aren't for following AI-controlled ships. In your patrol example, 'wingmen' refer to ships set to either 'follow' or 'protect' the lead ship. You don't want to set them as 'wingmen' in their command console.

2. Those novas should undock and protect your Titan, but only if they're in the same sector as you. OOS (Out of Sector) they won't undock.

3. Yes, that is correct. Wingman flag - see 1.

4. In X2, I can't remember, but they might, or it might be only those currently flying in the sector with you. However, in X3, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes, they will come from all over.

Any incorrect statements I made above will soon be corrected, I'm sure. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 05:07

Nanook wrote:No need to move this, since there is no general X2 forum. ...
I moved this from the X3S&M forum.

The Wingman flag allows the ships to respond to the 2 wingman hotkeys (Shift+5 and Shift+6 iirc) which can be used to tell them to attack your current target or protect you.

richandtan
x3

Post by richandtan » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 10:32

ok, thanks for that gents.
appreciate the help.

Just wondering why my novas dont launch to protect my titan then?
Is there maybe a % damage trigger before it launches? I've sat in the same sector (Presidents end is MINE) for ages and my titan is attacking all enemies so continually engaging pirates, etc... which dont ever get the titans shields below 50% (that i've seen) but I've never seen its novas launch to protect it!? wierd & annoying.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 11:38

richandtan wrote:Just wondering why my novas dont launch to protect my titan then?
You are not in the Titan, but you are in the same sector? If so, that leaves the possibility that M2 behave differently to TL, M1, and stations.

richandtan
x3

Post by richandtan » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 12:28

You asume correct. I am sitting in my M5 scout watching what's going on visually or on the sector map. I control most of my fleet remotely, especially the large ships.
My titan is set to attack all enemies in Presidents end which I have taken over and has most of my stations and idle ships.

Maybe you're right. Maybe they dont behave the same as stations. Can anyone else confirm eitherway? But I guess if the certainly wont launch if not in sector then it's all kinda a waste of time anyway.

Just thought it would be a good way to take extra support into battle withtout having loads of fighters flying around ALL the time. A bit more tidy !! :)

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 14:32

Been a while since I had an M2 - however the docking on an M2 is a little different to stations, TLs etc. the ships seem to be held by some sort of tractor beam rather than in internal storage and thinking on the Oddy (Paranid M2) I would prefer if my docked fighters did not deploy if it is attacked.... they never seem to be able to avoid those long extensions on the bottom of the ship.

Unless you are using a script (Marks / Tinkers Garison / Figh Command MK3) docked ships will not launch when you are out of sector.
I am at the stage when I get a lot of money via XIs and I keep the bit I want and then buy lots of L sized M3s and distribute them to my factories and use the Garison commands. I tend to loose a few - however I do like to see my ships launch and take on the clusters.
Link to topic Marks Script

korcan
x2

Post by korcan » Tue, 7. Oct 08, 20:36

As far as I remember in X2 homebased ships undock much faster in OOS to protect the carrier. This is automatic if they have weapons and fight softwares I and II installed (IIRC). In system deployment of fighters from a moving ship results lots of collisions and not recommended.

Spaceweed Adict
x3tc

Post by Spaceweed Adict » Wed, 8. Oct 08, 01:56

Maybe you're right. Maybe they dont behave the same as stations. Can anyone else confirm eitherway? But I guess if the certainly wont launch if not in sector then it's all kinda a waste of time anyway.
No M2's won't launch fighters for good reason.

:o Well concidering your talking about your Distroyers here (M2's).
Why you would even want them to launch deffence fighters I can't imagine :gruebel:

Concidering most if not all M2's can only carry 4 ships and the shear firepower of a fully fitted M2 would probably distroy its own fighters anyway before they could even be of any use.

A classic example would be the paronid Oddessious loaded up with PSG's any fighter trying to launch when them things were going off would be immediatly distroyed.

I know from past experiance never to get to close to my oddy's when in battle :oops:

No thats were The M1's come into play after all they are Carriers :P
Also TL's can make decent carriers too especially the Elephant with its 30 ship hanger bay.

Actually I prefer to use TL's over Carriers for my light fighter squadrons and the Elephant fits the bill perfectly for this job.
1. Its the fastest TL in X2, much faster than any M1.
2. Has the largest hanger bay of all the TL's 30 ships,
3. has a hell of a big cargo bay compared to M1's & M2's.
4. Last but not least, you can buy and fit 2 TL's for the price of 1 M1.

Well richandtan now as you've reached the capital ships owners club you will find that stategy's change a little now, you'll soon become to realize what an important part the TL plays in the X universe.
Theres a lot more to a TL than just dropping stations you know. :wink:

Oh and finally another point to bare in mind no capital ship will launch deffence fighters if you are aboard it.

richandtan
x3

Post by richandtan » Tue, 14. Oct 08, 20:52

wise words. thanks for that.

rich

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”