Wingman Woes and Mighty Missiles

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

eltanan
x3tc

Wingman Woes and Mighty Missiles

Post by eltanan » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 01:47

A couple questions...

Shift-6 and Shift-7 are supposed to give wingmen commands, right? After setting my rapiers to a wing (red wing, of course), hitting shift-6 or 7 tells me 'no wingmen found' or something. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, I seem to be doing okay in combat against Xenon N's, but it only takes a single missile to kill me. Strafe-dodging doesn't seem to help. I'll be fighting, and winning, and all of a sudden there's a missile coming, and I'm insta-killed. Help!

One other little thing... autopilot-docking at the military base in Heretic's End.. instead of docking, my ship goes on this wild ride all over the place, flying way out to 40+ km away from the station! I do not understand why.

In all other respects, I'm -loving- this game. Just please tell me how to avoid those 1-hit-kill missiles, and I'll be happier than Zaphod Beeblebrox in a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster distillery.

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Re: Wingman Woes and Mighty Missiles

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 04:08

eltanan wrote:Just please tell me how to avoid those 1-hit-kill missiles, and I'll be happier than Zaphod Beeblebrox in a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster distillery.
Simple answer, don't get hit by them.

As soon as you get a lock-warning start looking for the missile. They have pretty distinctive trails so not too hard to spot. The other way to do it would be to carry mosquito anti-missiles on board and let your ship shoot down any incoming missiles itself.

PhobosMoon

Post by PhobosMoon » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 04:12

You go int heir commands lists and below the trade/nav/ etc buttons there is a yes no setter for wingmen.. turn them on..
Your lucky I CAN'T even get my wingmen safely away from the equipment dock, I lose 2 out of 3 of them.. Because the retards keep running into the station when I tell them to follow/protect me.

Kitch
x3tc

Post by Kitch » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 04:25

Yeah, slight confusion there.

Wings and Wingmen are different.

Wingmen are essentially another "wing" you can set up that will follow your personal ship and obey wingman commands.

They don't have to be a proper colour assigned wing or anything.

As said - you set it in their ship command console > Wingman Yes/No

Some docking proceedures run into trouble if there's an object on the flght path - the Autopilot will go on that wild ride while it figures out how to get round it. This causes issues where you have an object near where the landing lights are. Better off manually docking when it does that.

Missile wise - get yourself anything with a rear turret (most M3, M3+ and M4+) or grab some Mosquito missiles for Missile Defence. Practice evasive flying techniques (super tight strafe turns etc) or fight very close to stations.

Prownilo

Post by Prownilo » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 06:14

Biggest problem i have with missiles is the M3 ships tend to fire them whilst taking fire from myself, result is they pretty much kill themselves instantly...

It gets annoying when every single M3 you shoot at manages to blow themselves up, meaning you don't get any credit (and credits!) for the kill >.<

I must of lost 10 million in rewards from this so far...

Incubi
xr

Post by Incubi » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 06:36

So is this the return of suicidal aitopilot? Or is like where X3R left off, it plagued some more than others? 67% done downloading game from steam, so I can't answer this myself yet.

eltanan
x3tc

Post by eltanan » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 06:40

Thanks for the replies! And thanks for clarifying the difference between wings and wingmen. As for the missiles, I'll look for a ship with a turret, that seems the best option.

I was semi-AFK SETA'ing through Harron's Nebula, heard a boom and my ship was blowed up (a Mercury)... I thought I must've hit an asteroid, but when I reloaded and made the same run, I realized it was actually a Kha'ak attack... one of the big spiky-hat-symbol ships (as opposed to triangles).. Fun! Was NOT expecting to see something like that in the Argon Core!

I have to admit I'm a bit confused by the ship classes. Why don't they just go from M0 to M8 in order of size? My understanding is, there's the 3's, 4's, and 5's, fighters, then the 2's, then 6's? then 1's? it's not very intuitive, is it?

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 07:23

M5 Scout from X:BTF
M4 Interceptor X:BTF
M3 Fighter X:BTF

M3+ Advanced Fighter X3:R - BALA GI
M4++ ? X3:TC
M8 Bomber X£:TC
M6 Corvette - X2

M7 Pocket Battleship? X3:R - BALA GI

M7M Missile Frigate? X3:R(X-Tended Mod and now X3:TC

M2 Battleship/Destroyer X:BTF
M1 Carrier X:BTF
M0 originally the Xenon Super ship in X:BTF reappeared in X3:R(X-Tended mod)

I may have misnamed one or two classes here no doubt ill be informed when someone notices lol.

From looking at that as the series has progressed each version has added additional ship classes which is why it may not make sense at first glance, but to long time players it all makes perfect sense... and i have to admit to being one of those lol.

Legionnaire

eltanan
x3tc

Post by eltanan » Sun, 19. Oct 08, 07:47

Thank you, I now have a concrete goal! That Xenon supership... I must have it!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”