[TC] Panther vs. Tiger and M7's in general

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

junj.chan
x3tc

Panther vs. Tiger and M7's in general

Post by junj.chan » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 08:19

I've noticed nobody has started talking about M7's yet, anybody got any experience with them. I'm at the stage of buying and test driving a shrike (TM7) at the moment, havnt been able to take it into any heavy combat yet but I'm loving the gauss cannons atm. They're pretty powerful and one crate of ammo alone gives you 200 rounds so its not like you have to clog up your cargo hold with hundreds of boxes of ammo.

Now for my main question, is there any reason at all to buy a Tiger? The Panther has the same speed, shields, agility, cargo, and weapon generator, they also cost the same BUT the Panther has a 32 bay hanger. Yes, it may have 2 less front guns but it has an extra (front) turret. The only reason I can think of for a Tiger is that it has very very good firing arcs, but I havn't flown either yet...

And last thing I've noticed, is the AM7 useless? Only 3GJ of shields, even the split ones have 4GJ, its not fast, its not agile, it doesn't carry any especially good weapons, average cargo hold, and as far as I can tell nothing decent. Anybody care to prove me wrong on this one?

Prownilo

Post by Prownilo » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 08:24

have you *seen* the panther? The tiger isn't exactly a looker by any means (texture's are screwy) but the panther makes it look like a work of art.

Psi Diver X
x3

Post by Psi Diver X » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 10:31

I've been flying a Paranid Deimos that pretty much eats through anything thrown at it.

M7's are the bastard child between your "agile" M3 and the big bad M2. They are now what the "M6" use to be, in that they are the best all rounder ships that can do everything, even clear sectors. M6's just don't pack as much punch as they use to nor can they really take it.

Most important thing to look at on a M7 is its shielding and weapon types. M7's with the Flak Artillery Array will save you much headache taking down smaller fighters, as they will literally be zapped the moment they get near you.

Overall you can't dodge fire from small fighters, and you can barely escape with fighting other larger vessels. You have to rely on the old "Kill them before they kill you" philosophy, as you're pretty much a giant tank.

They're hard to fly at first, but you'll get use to them.

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 17:29

Can you even buy the Panther? I thought it was like the Agammemnon or the Hyperion, not at any shipyard.

If so, it's kind of unfair to compare the Cerberus to the Panther... and if you compare the Cerberus to the Tiger, you get a ship with a hangar vs a ship with no hangar.

akaifire
x3tc

Post by akaifire » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 18:33

The Panther is sold at the shipyard at
Spoiler
Show
Patriarch's Collusion, in the southeast of the universe map

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 18:33

Sandalpocalypse wrote:Can you even buy the Panther?
Yes, it's sold at a couple of the new Split shipyards. Bought one & took a look out of the bridge, thought 'ugh, now that's truly ugly' & went looking for another M7 to buy. Eventually settled on the Deimos.

junj.chan
x3tc

Post by junj.chan » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 19:22

I'll have to look into the Deimos. How do you find the cargo hold though? I havn't flown a paranid cap ship since X2, and back then the PM2's cargo hold was so small you couldn't even carry enough ecells to jump back out of the khaak sectors if you had a full PPC loadout (or some such anyway, it was a long time ago...)

Panther also available at
Spoiler
Show
Zyarth's Dominion

WarpedcowOwnzU

Post by WarpedcowOwnzU » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 19:23

GCU Grey Area wrote:
Sandalpocalypse wrote:Can you even buy the Panther?
Yes, it's sold at a couple of the new Split shipyards. Bought one & took a look out of the bridge, thought 'ugh, now that's truly ugly' & went looking for another M7 to buy. Eventually settled on the Deimos.
I don't care how the ship looks, I care only about how good it is at killing enemies. I just bought a Panther and I can't wait to fill it with guns and shields and fighters!

As an aside, do any of the M7s dock TS or TP ships? I'm having a heck of a time keeping my Panther topped with Energy Cells just ferrying them over in M3s :evil: Is there any better way to do this?
www.trackpedia.com
ASUS P5Q Pro - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4GHZ - ATI Radeon 4870 - 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 - Windows Server 2008 64bit - 2x500GB in RAID1
#1 in X3TC Ships Destroyed

junj.chan
x3tc

Post by junj.chan » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 19:44

There is indeed! Get a TS equip it with a jumpdrive, and equip your Panther with a transporter device. Panther or Deimos for me.... The paranid still don't like me much though, so might just get the panther

p.s. You cant dock the TS on the M7 though. But how many ecells do you need? I'm guessing you should have enough space for a few thousand.

WarpedcowOwnzU

Post by WarpedcowOwnzU » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 22:05

junj.chan wrote:There is indeed! Get a TS equip it with a jumpdrive, and equip your Panther with a transporter device. Panther or Deimos for me.... The paranid still don't like me much though, so might just get the panther

p.s. You cant dock the TS on the M7 though. But how many ecells do you need? I'm guessing you should have enough space for a few thousand.
Darn. I was hoping the TS could dock so I wouldn't have to bring my TS to wherever my M7 happens to be, it's always there... oh well... so which TS holds the most these days, is it still the Argon?

Do TLs still allow TSs to dock in X3:TC? Do any other ships allow TSs to dock? How about M6s, can they dock in TLs or anything else?
www.trackpedia.com
ASUS P5Q Pro - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4GHZ - ATI Radeon 4870 - 4GB OCZ Reaper DDR2 1066 - Windows Server 2008 64bit - 2x500GB in RAID1

Embody
x3tc

Post by Embody » Wed, 22. Oct 08, 22:13

You can dock at military outposts and they usually have Ecells. :P

S_Ha
x4

Post by S_Ha » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 01:48

How many guns can the Deimos and Panther have in each turret slot?
Im leaning towrds the Panther because i think the Deimos looks ugly. :(

Psi Diver X
x3

Post by Psi Diver X » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 02:14

The Deimos has two guns on each turret slot. You can equip FAA on every turret except the very rear turret. It has excellent arcs, since your side turrets can fire on your front bore sight, and if you tip up or down slightly the top and bottom turrets can fire as well.

6GJ of shielding make it a beast. If you want to clear sectors with it, get 10 PSG and equip 8 on front, 2 on back, with your FAA on defend ship.

It does look like a giant Horseshoe Crab though.

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 02:39

Psi Diver X wrote:The Deimos has two guns on each turret slot. You can equip FAA on every turret except the very rear turret. It has excellent arcs, since your side turrets can fire on your front bore sight, and if you tip up or down slightly the top and bottom turrets can fire as well.
It can also be equipped with Incendiary Bomb Launchers in the side turrets - roughly equivalent firepower to PPCs... :)

WarpedcowOwnzU

Post by WarpedcowOwnzU » Thu, 23. Oct 08, 18:16

S_Ha wrote:How many guns can the Deimos and Panther have in each turret slot?
Im leaning towrds the Panther because i think the Deimos looks ugly. :(
Get the Panther. It has 6 front turrets, 2 on each side, four up, four down, four rear. It's a beast. Now where the heck can I buy FAA? :evil:

32 docking bays is a great feature IMHO, room for just about every M3/M4/M5 you could ever want!
www.trackpedia.com

nilshansson9
x3tc

Post by nilshansson9 » Fri, 24. Oct 08, 14:35

Ok whats the verdit for best M7 im ready to buy one, i have 50m to spend and was wondering M7M or just M7? then which one to buy?

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Fri, 24. Oct 08, 15:29

Your first m7 should probably be a Panther, Deimos or Cerberus, as they also function as base-ships.

You don't want to invest in an m7m without also investing in Hammer and Flail missile factories.

withar
x3tc

Post by withar » Fri, 24. Oct 08, 15:55

For my own personal use i went for the tiger. You may say Urg but all I wanted was something fast and packing heat. the turning is good at around about 6 rotations per min, about the same as your average M6, though that’s a change for me as My M6 Vidar has a turning rate of about 12 rotations per min while the Centaur only has about 6. The speed is good at 128 mps so I can keep up with most of those M3's. On the whole I’m looking to start a smaller fleet than I have had in the past but this time it's got to be fast. I haven't looked at M2 or M1's yet but I feel that I’m mostly going to shun them in favour of smaller, faster M7's
When The Law Breaks The Law
In The Name Of The Law- There Is No Law

Belfast Graffiti

Mordegar
x4

Post by Mordegar » Fri, 24. Oct 08, 19:13

Some M7's like the Tiger need a rebalancing, because their shielding compared to the others is too high.
Especially the Split are supposed to have the least shielding and most firepower, but with 4 gj they are even better than the Argon M7 and as good as the Teladi one without its flaws.

xalien
x4

Post by xalien » Fri, 24. Oct 08, 20:47

I'm flying a Panther and I'm loving it. Large turrets filled with flak arrays leave no chance for those PBE and PBG stuffed pirates and xenon. It's large laser generator is nice when all those guns go off. Large hangar means a very large cargo capacity, I have a bunch of falcon haulers docked just to store typhoon missiles - very helphul when patrol missions start throwing M2's at you. And together with Tiger it's the fastest M7 too.

I guess it's a little oversight by a devs to give Split M7's 4 GJ shields, they should probably have 2-3 GJ.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”