Should TL or Carriers be able to transport TS/TP class ships

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Should TLs be able to carry TS and TP ships?

Poll ended at Mon, 24. Nov 08, 21:16

Yes
86%
No
10%
Don't Care
4%

Total votes: 99

Ares23
x3tc

Should TL or Carriers be able to transport TS/TP class ships

Post by Ares23 » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:16

Topic says it all.

What do you guys think?

I find it extremely annoying that TLs can no longer carry them. I want to be using a Caiman to transport stuff for my factory and the nearest Split Ship yard is 10 sectors away and that's going through a few pirate sectors. The nearest facility with a jumpdrive is not a whole lot closer.

So each time I want to do something like that I have to go through a whole dance of using a carrier to ferry a fighter to nearest jumpdrive selling facility, install it in the fighter, jump the carrier/TL/TM to where my TS is, transfer the jumpdrive to the TS, and only then I can jump it to my factory.

Why this has to be such a difficult process I don't know, simply allowing a TS to dock with a huge carrier or TL sounds like a reasonable solution.

I can't understand why it was removed in the first place.

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:28

Yes.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:29

Most definitely. In point of fact i think ALL TLs, M1s, M2s and M7s should be able to dock at least one TS. I was not at all pleased when Egosoft removed all the docking bays from M2s. A stupid, stupid decision that removed a useful feature that made the players life easier.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:34

Nah. I don't think that would be fair. Plus it would be easily exploitable (dock 5 Mistral SFs on board of any TL to get infinite supply of ecells for example).

I think it's more logical the way it is, even if it's harder logistically for the player.

So sorry guys, this time my vote goes to Egosoft's point of view. :-)

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:56

I believe ALL ships larger than M3+ should be able to dock at least a single M5.

As for TLs/TS, i think they should be able to dock them, and make them take up as much space as the cargo hold of the TS plus a fixed amount.

I cant understand why i can cram an XL SPP in my cargo bay, but not a tiny ship :)

juanitierno
xrvr

Post by juanitierno » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 21:59

I would also accept a race that REQUIRED you to dock a M5 in the larger ships to use them. It would be like a Mobile bridge, and you could equip the M5, and all upgrades would be available in the main ship.

You could leave the ship, and it would come to a halt and just stand there firing with the turrets (mini orbital stations! wheeee).

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 22:04

I dont think they should be able to carry them in their hanger... but TL's should be able to as cargo

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 22:08

some type of tanker software (installed as stock on the "tanker" variants) that lets them dock externally (with speed penalties?)?
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

johntarmac
x3tc

Post by johntarmac » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 22:15

I want to be able to buy freighters and load them onto my TL prior to going building.

Failing that there should be a TS transporter that can hold a reasonable number of freighters.

It's ridiculas that we have to shepherd freighters across the galaxy with the technology available in the X universe.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 22:31

They should be able to carry one TS ship. That would hardly be unbalancing and it would allow people who want a slightly easy way to ferry a factory transport around the freedom to do so.

The ability to carry as many TS ships as they had docking bays (as was possible in X2) was too much, though.

Bergkamp
x3tc

Post by Bergkamp » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 22:54

Yes, one TS or TP per TL would suffice since refuelling remotely is easy enough, you shouldn't need to keep one aboard for the purpose but can if you want.

Choublanc
x3tc

Post by Choublanc » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 23:02

It was possible in X2 to dock TS in TL/M1. Very useful. I remember I had all kind of TS/TP inside a Raptor, ready to start working for my loops.
Realistic? Not realistic? No clue. But part of the problem is that we are obliged to buy the jumpdrives one by one. As it’s possible to transfer them, say, from a M3 to a M4 inside a TL, it means that no super qualified Goner technician is needed for the installation and that jumpdrive should be at disposal in bulk. In this case, the need for docking would be less crucial.

Anyway in X3R my only script is BeamDock, simply perfect. Problem solved at the price of a ***modified*** tag.
Storm666 wrote:I dont think they should be able to carry them in their hanger... but TL's should be able to as cargo
Maybe a perfect solution to content everybody :)

GreasyBaz
x3tc

Post by GreasyBaz » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 23:25

At least one. Possibly more for a TL, within reason. The mobile mining base ship really needs at least two. Any self respecting teledi would surely mod their TL to carry a freighter or two so they could have two aswell. The others I'm not so sure about. They should be able to dock at least one. Except the split who would forget that a TL is supposed to be a trade ship and put a few extra guns on instead.

A mobile mining base ship that can't dock its miners? Thats crazy.

jahulath
x2

Post by jahulath » Mon, 10. Nov 08, 23:53

juanitierno wrote:I would also accept a race that REQUIRED you to dock a M5 in the larger ships to use them. It would be like a Mobile bridge, and you could equip the M5, and all upgrades would be available in the main ship.

You could leave the ship, and it would come to a halt and just stand there firing with the turrets (mini orbital stations! wheeee).
That would be frigging awesome for an M8... or M7...

But on subject - I have been wondering for a long time why it is that a ship that is designed for trade would rely on fighters to transport stuff? Either we should have TLs dock TS or alternatively we should have a smaller TS! say 2000 cargo and max 5mj shields and looking like a brick! Cargo pods with engines maybe? Like in Edge of chaos! My vote is definitely "are they insane? what taledi would miss such an oppertunity?"
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion {Arthur C Clark}

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 00:21

TP's - definitely, TSs - yes, but with some limitations
e.g. either only 1, perhaps externally docked & maybe the TL is unable to move while it is docked, or a new class of smaller TSs specifically designed for a capital ship support role, with XL cargo bays in the 1,000-2,000 cargo unit range, which can be carried in the hanger.

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 01:20

Carriers should be able to dock TM/TP/M6s externally, not TS, just because using TS will make the role of having a TL in the fleet as a supply ship useless, but using the same external points for all of them, varing from 1 to 4 depending of wich carrier. Most importantly... Carriers SHOULD be able to carry M8!

All TLs should be able to dock TS/TP, and some of them TM too. All externally. Ill say reduce the hangar if nesesarry and add some external points, for the sake of mobile mining and as supply ship.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 08:49

GCU Grey Area wrote:TP's - definitely, TSs - yes, but with some limitations
e.g. either only 1, perhaps externally docked & maybe the TL is unable to move while it is docked, or a new class of smaller TSs specifically designed for a capital ship support role, with XL cargo bays in the 1,000-2,000 cargo unit range, which can be carried in the hanger.
TPs are the same size as TS ships, so the same arguments should apply to both. As far as the second point goes, isn't that what freight drones are for? 800 cargo capacity that just sits in the cargo bay like a fighter drone, then can be deployed to fetch and carry as you need.

Kitch
x3tc

Post by Kitch » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 09:13

Is it a balance issue?

I forget what the furore was when it was dropped from X2 for X3

Honestly, what difference does it make if I can double my TLs carrying space? Except to make me have to jumpdrive them in and transporter stuff.

I really miss having a Centaur with my little M5 slung underneath :( ahh.. X2... I miss player corporate logos on my ships too :(

Actually... remembering something (uh oh)

Was it not a graphic issue in that redesigned ships from X3 onwards dont physically fit any more?

Texas
x3

Post by Texas » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 13:07

I say yes.

TL's shouuld be able to transport three TS's and/or TP's.

However carriers should not be able to dock them but should have external 'clamps' for transferring goods.
This is so new/replacement guns can be transported aboard.
The carrier would not be able to move during this time though due to potntial strain on the aforementioned clamps.
Professionals are predictable.
It's the amateurs that are dangerous!

Storm666
x3tc

Post by Storm666 » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 13:09

A Carrier is a Military vehicle... they should never have the ability to dock TS or TP... only fighters

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”