[TC] Aldrin - Experimental & Prototype weapon acquisition guide

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Painman
x3tc

Aldrin - Experimental & Prototype weapon acquisition guide

Post by Painman » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 04:00

**Note -- This mini-guide is meant for version 1.2.1 of the game or earlier; future patches may render this information obsolete.**

Experimental Electro-Magnetic Plasma Cannons?

Lots of people want them, but how to get your hands on them? Since Aldrin's factories don't currently make them, the only way to mass produce them is by way of an old exploit known as "Cloning". Many of you already know of this exploit; some of you may not. (Those of you who know how, feel free to skip the next bit.)

Quick Cloning Tutorial

The way this works: In a sector that contains both a shipyard and an equipment dock (there MUST be an equipment dock) -- when you purchase a ship, you are permitted to equip and upgrade your ship from whatever is in stock at the equipment dock at the moment of purchase. The key here is that if you bought, say, a 10 pack of a given ship, you're asked to equip them all at once, and the inventory at the equipment dock will be "cloned" across all 10 of those ships.

In other words, if the equipment dock has eg. 2 Photon Pulse Cannons in stock, then you can buy 10 cheap TS class ships, buy the 2 PPCs at the equip screen, and voila... you now have 20 PPCs. Note that you don't save any money -- you still had to pay for all 20 -- but you created 18 of them out of thin air!

Ok, then.

Back to Aldrin. The sector has 2 shipyards and 3 equipment docks (aka Unknown aldrin Bases), but the only equipment dock that is linked with the shipyards for equipping is the one in the lower left quadrant (location: -266km, 3.04km, -63.6km).

If you already have one or two EEMPC that you can drop off at this dock, or it happens to have some, then just make sure they're stocked (dock and drop your EEMPCs off) and then purchase a bulk quantity of ships at either shipyard (#deca.fade S is the cheapest option). Purchase the EEMPCs for them at the equip screen, and you're set. Lather, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Just make sure you meet a couple of prerequisites: First, Terran rank Warrior of Io or better, and Second, some cash. 10 #deca.fade S and 20 EEMPCs will cost you about 7 million credits in total -- around 40K for each #deca.fade, and 323,712 for each EEMPC.

And that's pretty much the basics. Here are my suggestions for securing at least one EEMPC as soon as possible -- if you want them, then you really do want to secure one as soon as you can, before whatever quantity that exists in the game gets "recycled" at the equipment docks.

Before you first jump to Aldrin in the Terran storyline:

(1) Make sure you are Warrior of Io or better. This is fairly easy. Take 3 of those free ships you've received and park one each at the Mars, Moon and Saturn shipyards (make sure you have the proper ATF sector access first). Alternatively, plant Satellites in those sectors. Hop into a fast M5 with Cargo Lifesupport, a Docking Computer and Trading system Extension, then scout around Terran space looking for taxi and ship delivery missions. Do a handful of these missions for a quick and easy rep boost.

(2) Make sure you have adequate funds, as stated earlier.

(3) Make sure you have a fast scout ship (such as the ship you used in (1) above) fueled up and ready to jump to Aldrin, or docked onto a ship such as a TM that can take it there.

(4) As soon as the Aldrin battle is finished and all hostile forces are eliminated, bring in your scout. Don't pick up the dignitaries yet. Xfer yourself to the scout ship, and do a bit of exploring.

First target should be the nearest Aldrin shipyard, which is at (-86.6km, -112km,-92.3km).

Next target is the Unknown Aldrin Base mentioned earlier (location: -266km, 3.04km, -63.6km).

If they have any EEMPC there, great. Buy some #deca at the shipyard, and do some cloning.

If not, then scout around Aldrin to the following bases until you find some:

Aldrin Weapon Production Base M Beta (location: -307 km, -22.5km, 44.7km)

Aldrin Weapon Production Base M Alpha (location: -274km, 0km, 106km)

Unknown Aldrin Base (location: -299km, 3.04km, 150km)

Unknown Aldrin Base (location: 55.1km, 5.51km, 157km)

Scouting them in that order will take you clockwise around the big rock -- hopefully you'll find one or two before making it all the way around. In my current game I didn't see any until I got to the second Unknown Base, and I was beginning to get nervous. Good luck!

Other possible sources: You can occasionally cause a hostile #deca fighter to bail out during the storyline, and if you're incredibly lucky, the ship might have EEMPC left onboard. That, or you might try harassing the Aldrin locals to see if you can get a Spitfyre to bail (or attempt to board a Springblossom). I haven't had a #deca bail out with guns onboard, and I haven't engaged in any piracy in Aldrin, so this is just speculation.

(Update: GCU Grey Area reports below that he has successfully boarded an Aldran Springblossom trader ship in order to obtain some EEMPC.)

Hopefully this will all get sorted out in an upcoming patch.

As for the M/AM launchers and SSCs -- I've had absolutely no trouble getting these; it's just a matter of rep. Servant of Terra for the former, Planetary Senator for the latter. In fact, buying them at the western equipment docks, oftentimes the inventory replenishes soon after I buy them out -- is this due to parked Aldrin weapons dealers cleaning out their cargo holds, or is it another glitch? I sent a freighter to the southwest equipment dock and tested this out -- I bought no fewer than 50 each M/AM and SSC from this dock, 1 or 2 at a time, and they kept on replenishing. Very odd.

In any case, the factories produce the M/AM and SSC as long as they have resources, so obtaining them isn't problematic.

Alrighty, that's it. Happy gun-hunting ;)
Last edited by Painman on Sun, 30. Nov 08, 06:40, edited 6 times in total.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 04:35

Done Terran plot, explored Aldrin soon after. No EEMPC were present, none at all, nowhere.

EEMPC, something I will never see in my life. :-(

EGOSOFT where's the patch? :-(

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 04:51

If it's any consolation, EEMPCs are really for the Spitfyre. Springblossom is way better off with the M/AM launchers in front and Starbursts in the turrets. That, and you can fit a few M/AM launchers into Spitfyre if it comes down to it -- though EEMPCs are much more practical for it.

I hope this gets fixed soon as well. I personally would rather maintain the Aldrin economy to get what I need, but if it's this broken...

Teladidrone
x3tc

Post by Teladidrone » Thu, 13. Nov 08, 07:28

Cool, ty for that guide.
I didn't know about that only linked EQ dock and I am 100% sure if I'd had any EEMP I would have sold it to the wrong dock for sure... :headbang:

But I am in the same situation as delray... plot done, no EEMP anywhere.
Ah, screw that... unzip and copy this into your scripts folder for a box with 2 free EEMP in Argon Prime:
EEMP cheat

The Happy Trucker
x3tc

Post by The Happy Trucker » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 09:54

Thanks for the guide

Has anyone successfully got the Aldrin economy going by building stations, or managed to get the weapon station to produce EEMPC's by shipping in the required resources?
I dont have any EEMPC's available in this sector either and though I would rather not script/clone, if this is the only way to get these weapons until a patch then I guess I will.

Many Thanks

The Happy Trucker

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 11:27

The Happy Trucker wrote:Has anyone successfully got the Aldrin economy going by building stations, or managed to get the weapon station to produce EEMPC's by shipping in the required resources?
Building a few food processing factories & importing a few proper freighters (Aldrin uses M3s & M6s for the job) can get the weapon factories producing all the weapons except EEMPCs at full capacity.

Incidentally, these days when I'm running low I send in a freighter to bulk buy Poltergeists & M/AM ammo - due to the factories & freighters I imported they're both now available there in MUCH higher quantities than getting them from the Terran sectors. EEMPC production in Aldrin though seem to be bugged.

When I wanted some (IMO SSCs are too energy hungry to put in all the turrets for missile defence & I hate leaving empty weapon slots) I had to use marines to hijack an Aldrin M6 Mineral Transporter. Not exactly an easy thing to do (took literally hours & numerous reloads to get it right), but it is possible.

Mouseco
x3tc

Post by Mouseco » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 11:31

On the side note of setting up some factories and food production ...

Aldrin has an AMAZING stock of roids both silicon and Ore.
I clocked in about 3-4 50+ silicon and ore roids ... so its basically a handy home for a MEGA complex ... All I need to do is actually buy a factory and stop following in GCU's ideals of trying to borrow things :D

PD
x3tc

Re: Aldrin - Experimental & Prototype weapon acquisition guide

Post by PD » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 11:42

Painman wrote: First target should be the nearest Aldrin shipyard, which is at (-86.6km, -112km,-92.3km).

Next target is the Unknown Aldrin Base mentioned earlier (location: -266km, 3.04km, -63.6km).

If they have any EEMPC there, great. Buy some #deca at the shipyard, and do some cloning.
Thank you for this guide, I hope I'll get to Aldrin this evening.

Wouldn't it be better to buy some #deca right after you find the shipyard? During the purchase you'll see if you can equip the ships with the EEMPC. If not, you can load a save game to save the money which you invested into the #decas and then search for the other stations.

PD

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 03:16

Thanks painman. I was wondering how Terran special weapon acquisition could be done without piracy or using the cheat script...
Hopefully the 1.3 patch will sort things out.

Painman
x3tc

Re: Aldrin - Experimental & Prototype weapon acquisition guide

Post by Painman » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 06:34

PD wrote:Thank you for this guide, I hope I'll get to Aldrin this evening.

Wouldn't it be better to buy some #deca right after you find the shipyard? During the purchase you'll see if you can equip the ships with the EEMPC. If not, you can load a save game to save the money which you invested into the #decas and then search for the other stations.

PD
Good idea, if you have the spare cash. Yes, if you buy/equip some #deca as soon as you find the shipyard, it may save you further exploration time -- but *only* if the Southwest Equipment Dock has any EEMPC. If it does, then you're golden. If not, you'll still need to scope out the weapon fabs and the other EQ docks.

lips of a moose
x3tc

Post by lips of a moose » Sun, 30. Nov 08, 13:30

wont work for me at all, I drop the lasers off and then buy the ships (10 of) come to equip them and buy the lasers and only 2 get them and the other 8 dont, they have then also gone from the unknown base as well :S

ignore me I was looking at the wrong ship lol, it does work

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 03:05

I just capped 2 Deca M4's in Black Hole Sun; 5-6 EEMPC's each! Couldn't frickin' believe it.

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 03:54

:o Nice...

That's enough to equip a Spityre, and then put some in storage to clone later if you want another!

LTerSlash
x4

Post by LTerSlash » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 04:36

I can assure you, the Aldrin Factorys started to do EEMPCs in my old game after a LONG time. After finish both hub and HQ plots. (i just cheated the hub in the crystals and microchips stage).

Anyway, at begining both Aldrin weapon factorys are empy or atmost empy... after some game days those factorys will be atmost 100% filled...

I remember in one of my last days before i restarted, i see about 12 startbursts/M/A-M Launchers and a about 5 EEMPCs in each weapon facory...

But, is bugged anyway...

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 05:52

My longest running game got to around day 12, and I was making lots of deliveries to Aldrin's weapon fabs but no EEMPC got made.

Weird. I wonder what caused that delay and whether it's a bug or a "feature".

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 21:21

Almighty GOD works in mysterious ways.

Laden Swallow
x3tc

Advanced Cloning - some number crunching involved behind the scenes:

Post by Laden Swallow » Thu, 4. Dec 08, 00:55

The following (worked) example relates to EEMPC in the aldrin colony sector and getting the most value for money.

Assumptions:
1) Guns cost the same (valid).
2) You sell all the equipment that comes with the ship (this includes the shield that you get even on the S variant).
3) You are only interested in the guns and so sell the ship once you have finished cloning and freight exchanging (circumstantial).
4) Ship extensions (i.e. cargo bay extensions) increase the ships sale value by the same amount as you spent on the extensions in the first place (tested with 0,1 and 160 cargo bay extensions bought for the #deca.cefa and verified).

Improvements to the algorithm posted in the first post:

Determine how many guns you want to buy (most cost effective in multiples of 12 starting from 24: 24, 36, 48,...), and divide that number by 12 and then take the smallest integer greater or equal to this number. If buying fewer than 24 guns you will still need 2 ships otherwise you cannot clone.

Now buy that number (x) of #deca.fades simultaneously at the shipyard (still the most cost effective ship by far), simultaneously sell the 1MJ shields that come installed and simultaneously extend the cargo bay of the ships until it can hold the appropriate amount of weapons (up to a total cargo bay of 60 for the fades (which is where the 12 comes from previously)).

Whilst simultaneously buying the EEMPCs (i.e. cloning) you can also simultaneously sell one of the EEMPCs and all of the ships will sell one gun and raise the stock of the equipment dock by x (actually 2 since that is all the equipment dock can hold in this case). If you then buy these guns again and repeat selling one gun back you can ultimately fill up the cargo holds of the ships with EEMPCs.

In practice this still involves having an EEMPC in stock/hand to get two on the ship/bird (haha my wit), and by keypresses (from the trade screen of the shipyard) to buy 24 (or 2 ships worth by the preciding few paragraphs) EEMPCs:

1) down arrow to highlight #deca.fade.
2) right arrow until the number under 'ship' matches the number of ships you wanted to simultaneously buy, in this case 2 ships.
3) enter to buy.
4) enter to ok and take you to the equip screen.
5) down to highlight the EEMPCs.
6) end 'pre-buy' all the stock.
7) enter to confirm buying all the stock (no stock moves until you actually hit enter).
8) left to 'pre-sell' one of the EEMPCs.
9) enter to confirm selling one of the EEMPCs (no stock moves until you actually hit enter).
10) repeat from 6 until all the required EEMPCs are bought. Then escape to get rid of the purchase equipment screen.
11) Now find 2 #deca.fades with 12 EEMPCs on each docked at the shipyard.

By doing the above, you waste less money on 'empty' cargo space on all the ships. You still have to pay for all the guns, just not as many ships.

Some numbers for those among you who want to see more guts (cost per gun has been rounded to nearest 100 credits):

Code: Select all

#deca.fade S
Ship Cost     41034
Sell shield   -5192
Sell ship    -23655
Net ship      12187

Cargo      12    15    20    25    30    35    40    45    50    55    60
Cost      12187 12241 12340 12438 12537 12635 12733 12832 12930 13029 13127
Max Guns    2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10    11    12
Cost/Gun  ~6100 ~4100 ~3100 ~2500 ~2100 ~1800 ~1600 ~1400 ~1300 ~1200 ~1100
From the above you can see that it is cheaper to buy as few a ships as can hold the amount of guns you wish to buy, if you buy upto the full 12 per ship and sell the extras at equipments docks (not necessarily in aldrin) then you can still take advantage of the reduced cost per gun, albeit possibly having to pay extra jump drive fuel to jump to a sector with an equipment dock and sell the guns two at a time.

#deca.deaf and #deca.cefa can be calculated similarly, but the cheapest value for the #deca.deaf and #deca.cefa (max guns in an almost max hold) works out as ~6000 credits per gun and ~8000 credits per gun respectively.

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Thu, 4. Dec 08, 01:35

Good suggestions there for bulk buyers :)

I usually just get enough for a single Spitfyre loadout, plus an extra pair for any future needs... I had to go back and make another set in this game after I carelessly let my Spitfyre get blown up OOS by a Kha'ak Corvette. :oops:

DEADBEEF.
x3tc

Post by DEADBEEF. » Thu, 4. Dec 08, 14:24

There are plenty of food/ore/energy producing factories in Aldrin, all that's needed is a sector trader in there shifting the goods around to keep the economy running.
I've had one there training to be a UT for a while now.

He's been there from level 1 and is now level 12. Since UT's are currently a waste of time I left him as a ST and there's always weapons in stock at the factories/equip docks. I have a carrier re-supply ship who when he's not fetching E Cells for the carrier is collecting weapons from there all the time.

DEADBEEF.
x3tc

Post by DEADBEEF. » Thu, 4. Dec 08, 18:20

Also, with 300% sun and four 50 Yield silicon roids, Aldrin is an ideal place to set up a perfect free energy loop....

Free energy, zero excess products.

You start off with half the factories then double everything up for the full loop.

So far I have half of the above, creating 93600 EC/h.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”