Typhoon or Tornado Missile ?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Woundweaver
x3

Typhoon or Tornado Missile ?

Post by Woundweaver » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 13:38

I`m about to set up my own missile complex and was going to put Tornado missiles amongst it. Thing is i`ve never used them and can`t buy them anywhere to try them out. I`m kinda comparing them to Typhoons. Basicaly because there a SWARM class. Thing is i`m not to sure if they auto target like the Typhoons do ? If they do then i`ll build them instead of Typhoons. So, i was wondering if anyones tried the Tonado missiles and the Typhoons and could tell me which out of the 2 are the best. Thanks for any tips in advance :)
There is no such thing as Black & White.
Everything is in various shades of Grey.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 13:46

Typhoons, definitely. Tornadoes inflict more damage, but are dumbfire and has shorter range (~15 km vs well over 50 for the typhoons). IMO tornadoes are usable only against large and slow targets, Ks for example.
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 13:46

Tornado missiles do not have target-tracking capabilities (dumb-fire), unlike Typhoons. Tornado's do a comparable amount of damage, however, and are slightly more effective against large, slow moving targets at close range.

Typhoons are probably more widely used amongst X-players, but I think both are very powerful missiles.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

delray
x3tc

Post by delray » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 13:50

Buy some and test them out.

Tornados are faster, do more damage and cost less cash but their range sucks and they are dumb-fire... I'd go with them nevertheless since I mostly use missiles against corvettes and other clumsy enemies.

Woundweaver
x3

Post by Woundweaver » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 13:52

Nice one, i`ll build Typhoons then :wink:
There is no such thing as Black & White.
Everything is in various shades of Grey.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”