SETA not working?

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

TheLure
x4

SETA not working?

Post by TheLure » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 19:55

Hi,

I'm new to the game and it's not exactly easy to learn the interface so it's possible I'm doing something wrong... but: If I understand things correctly, SETA = Time acceleration. My problem is that activating SETA does nothing at all. I press the "j" key and there is some kind of sound... but I can't notice time going any faster. Also I see there is this small gray "clock" left of the "my ship"-panel. The tool-tip there says "Singularity Engine Time Accelerator". It's always gray whatever I do.

How do I activate time acceleration?

EDIT: Might add that I'm running version 1.2.1.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 21:15

Sounds like the game is starting SETA and then immediately disengaging it because of some sort of control input. If you can activate SETA fine while the ship is on autopilot that would confirm this. Do you have a joystick or other game controller plugged in?

Oh, and we could do with a DxDiag, as it asks in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

TheLure
x4

Post by TheLure » Fri, 21. Nov 08, 21:53

pjknibbs wrote:Sounds like the game is starting SETA and then immediately disengaging it because of some sort of control input. If you can activate SETA fine while the ship is on autopilot that would confirm this. Do you have a joystick or other game controller plugged in?

Oh, and we could do with a DxDiag, as it asks in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.
Ah, that's it.

It seems the game does not like my Saitek X45 for some reason. When I have my X45 plugged in there are lots of control problems in general. I noticed I had problems getting autopilot to "stick" and sometimes it required several tries to bring up the sector map. When I disconnected my X45 everything works much better.

Seems like a game bug to me but I was not planning to use the joystick for this game so I'll get over it. Gonna be a bit annoying though having to pull out the X45 USB plug each time I want to play X3.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 22. Nov 08, 01:05

See this FAQ entry for the solution.

TheLure
x4

Post by TheLure » Sat, 22. Nov 08, 15:47

CBJ wrote:See this FAQ entry for the solution.
Looking for the button (or combination of buttons) that's causing the problem on a joystick with more then 30 buttons is not a option. What if more then one button is the problem? Do the math... That's a lot of combinations to test.

I found a different way to fool X3 not to detect the joystick. In the game luncher window i press "Input device", uncheck all 4 checkboxes there and finally clear the joystick name from the "joystick setting" box. Then I hit OK.

Now it seems X3 is fooled into not detecting my joystick and I do not need to unplug it.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 22. Nov 08, 18:56

TheLure wrote: Looking for the button (or combination of buttons) that's causing the problem on a joystick with more then 30 buttons is not a option. What if more then one button is the problem? Do the math... That's a lot of combinations to test.
On an X45 or X52 there is only one button that causes the issue--the MODE switch. This usually maps to joystick buttons 9 to 14.

habeebafett
x3ap

Post by habeebafett » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:31

Yes, exactly the same problem I had - heres how i fixed

start game with controller plugged in

customise controls, pick something like missile select, and select "add new key command" when you get the "press key" window, rotate your joysticks mode switch, the one that selects between three setups. when Idid this I found that somehow mode A resulted in a constant POVhat up depress, mode B was POVdown and mode C was a random joystick button (#24) i think.

Once figured out what the mode switch positions equal to in-game, leave the mode in a Joystick button position, exit game and modify X3TC short cut with -ignorejoy X (i think thats the right command at work and cant member exactly) where x is the number of the joystick button at current mode switch position.

start the game and as long as the game is ignoring the button that the mode switch position reflects my game works fine, performance improved, SETA works and the laggy keystroke issues cleaned up immensly

hope this helps. only other suggestion is to play without X45 (not happening eh>?) or get a diff Jstick *shrug.....

TheLure
x4

Post by TheLure » Sat, 29. Nov 08, 14:33

For the record, the button on my X45 that was causing my problem was the 3-position AUX switch. Once that was ignored using above command problems are gone. The MODE switch don't seem to be detected at all by X3.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”