Flak woes

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Paranoid66
x3tc

Flak woes

Post by Paranoid66 » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:23

Anybody got any sure solutions to flaks playing up. I would also love to know if this is a proper bug or just somehow fallout from my low spec laptop?

To explain over the weekend the flaks in my thresher just stopped hitting anything and this time everything I have tried to rectify this has failed. For example changing out the weapons reloading the game changing ships and anything else I could think of. When I changed over to my Ody its flaks don't seem to be working either this is downright :evil:

I'm really getting frustrated with this one. Especially since Flaks are so cursed effective when they are working against the fighter menace. Was really enjoying flying that Thresher now it is no fun at all just annoying.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:41

I've read, but not tried it, that reloading the game kicks some life back into them.

Not a fan of the Thresher (my only M7). It's a pig to fly, CIGs are horrible, and if all of your flaks are working there's no laser energy for anything else.......
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

BillSheil
x3

Post by BillSheil » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:46

It's an old problem from X3R and it's quite vexing that it hasn't been fixed during the course of many patches... but I digress.

I've heard some people say that reloading works as well recently, I don't know if this has changed in TC but in Reunion this problem was actually caused by reloading the game in space, and the solution then was to make a jump (even to a gate in the sector) which would fix it.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:50

Tried reloading on Sunday also jumping in and out of sector without success. Very annoying as the flaks were working great for ages before they starting getting iffy. Admit I also used salvage insurance maybe I should dock at a station save then restart but this is getting insane as it negates the whole point of having saves in space.

Maybe I will just have to give up on this weapon until something is done about it - if it is a bug and not my machine throwing a wobbley. Bit worried however as I also noticed some people saying this is an old difficulty stretching back to X3R (in fact I seem to recall some flak difficulties then as well though not this bad). If this is the same bug I wonder does that mean it isn't going to be fixed at all?

Resorted to implementing PSG's in the Ody but I worry that is still a friendly fire nightmare. While I don't think the Thresher has many other decent anti fighter options.
Last edited by Paranoid66 on Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.

98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

BillSheil
x3

Post by BillSheil » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 11:53

Try an in-system jump then if it's possible/practical, it did work in Reunion at least.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 14:35

I haven't played X:TC yet, but in X3:R my turrets be it flak or otherwise couldn't hit the broad side of a barn really. So I use the MARS Fire Control script and now everything works perfectly.

I am not saying it will work for you, but I would try if I was you :) It can be found in the sticky on the X3:TC S&M part of the forum.

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 15:18

xiriod wrote:I haven't played X:TC yet, but in X3:R my turrets be it flak or otherwise couldn't hit the broad side of a barn really. So I use the MARS Fire Control script and now everything works perfectly.

I am not saying it will work for you, but I would try if I was you :) It can be found in the sticky on the X3:TC S&M part of the forum.
There's a MARS FC script for Terran Conflict. The default turret scripts are literally dumb and they wouldn't hit an M1 50 meters away. I didn't use MARS with flaks but with Starbust Shockwave Cannons (which are the Terran equivalent, quite better from what I see so far) and they work really really well. Every fighter that gets too close within range of the SSC get blown up.

And the PPC's pound any capital ship destroying them within 4 or 5 shots. M6's get blown up with one shot as well as any fighter slow enough.

So yeah. Try MARS, if you don't mind a ***modified*** tag (which you really shoudln't)

summon_libre

Post by summon_libre » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 15:23

I was wondering about this. I put nothing but Flaks on the turrets of my Tiger and for a while, it worked great - Nothing could get close. Then for some reason they stopped doing any damage whatsoever. I was watching Flak shells get direct hits on Kha'ak Scouts but they took zero damage. Nothing took any damage. It was like I was firing blanks.

Stopped using them since...

Mikes78
x3

Post by Mikes78 » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 16:06

It is indeed related to saving while using flaks.

Don't save in combat (which is lame anyways ;) ), problem solved.
Never ran into this bug ever again, after i was made aware of this.

BillSheil
x3

Post by BillSheil » Mon, 24. Nov 08, 16:35

Don't save in combat (which is lame anyways ), problem solved.
Well I'm not a sticker myself for "never reloading after death", but quite apart from that there are other reasons for saving in combat specifically if you need to turn off and want to start again later, so it's still a bug and a problem.

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 11:35

Yep it seems to be related to slavage insurance and I often saved in space. Not just due to combat but because I like to fly an M2 and finding a port to dock at in a hurry can be a pain in the rear so yes this bug does need to be fixed.

I payed good credits for that Salvage Insurance and now I have to avoid using it; now that my friend is lame!

plynak
x3tc

Post by plynak » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 15:36

I have encountered this as well. Flying in a Tiger and currently in a Panther I use salvage insurance all the time. Two times now my flaks stopped to hit anything. But it was always solved by either reloading the game or jumpn to another sector. I am however planning to install the MARS script so thi will hopefully be solved.
Intel Core i5 4590, 2 x 8GB DDR3 1600, MSI GTX 1060 Armor, Asus H97 Pro, Asus Xonar DG, Crucial MX100 128GB SSD + 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Seasonic S12G 550W, Corsair 550D, 22'' LG

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Fri, 28. Nov 08, 16:07

Yes. Reload the game or worst case - completely restart X3 and reload the game.

Salvage Instructions do evil things with Flak.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

tomf
x3

Post by tomf » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 13:18

I just had this, attecting my Starburst cannon's as well as my flaks. The solution that worked for me was to dock, save manually, and then load that save.

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 13:37

Got tha tproblem with SSC's in my Osaka, twice. Both times just reloading the preivous game (or also saving at the moment and reloading it) worked fine. In-sector jumps don't fix it, neither do jumping out to another sector and re-jumping in.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 13:46

The only way that seems to fix it 100 % is to save and completely restart X3.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Atkara
x3tc

Post by Atkara » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 13:58

Did you try to reset all your turrets commands to "none" and try re-issue your preferred command configuration again?

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 14:03

It would not work.

The Flak bug has been known and documented since Reunion.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”