Capping with Mass Drivers?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000
x3tc

Capping with Mass Drivers?

Post by KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000 » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 14:25

Hi all,

Having obtained a Blastclaw Prototype which bailed exactly as I had wished, I now have a desire to make other expensive ships do the same so that I can own them.

I stuck 4 mass drivers on the blastclaw in the hope that all the millions of hull hits would increase the chances of pilots bailing.

However I have not had 1 pilot bail yet. Are they useless for capping? Is it back to the old Ion Disruptors for capping this time around, or is the technique much different in TC?

Tips much appreciated.
It's "Missile", not "Missle".

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 14:32

IMO the capping mechanics aren't changed in X3TC, so MDs and IDs aren't the weapons of choice if you are aiming for better capping rate. I still prefer the good old PBEs for that purpose. Some ships can sustain 4 of them almost indefinitely.
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Re: Capping with Mass Drivers?

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 15:10

KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000 wrote:Hi all,

Having obtained a Blastclaw Prototype which bailed exactly as I had wished, I now have a desire to make other expensive ships do the same so that I can own them.

I stuck 4 mass drivers on the blastclaw in the hope that all the millions of hull hits would increase the chances of pilots bailing.

However I have not had 1 pilot bail yet. Are they useless for capping? Is it back to the old Ion Disruptors for capping this time around, or is the technique much different in TC?

Tips much appreciated.
Well in Reunion you need to have the shields down for a pilot to bail so MDs alone will never cause anyone to bail. IonDs aren't a great choice either since they destroy equipment.

I don't know if this has changed in TC though.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000
x3tc

Post by KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000 » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 15:23

That's a shame as I have found that MDs are great for nailing M3s and especially good for flying in ridiculously close to M6s and strafing around too close for its turrets while taking the hull directly. Also, nothing makes me laugh more than that annoying M5 that can't go more than 50 after a lucky MD hit.

However, if I can't cap anything, I have to stop using them. What's the most commonly agreed on armament for the Blastclaw then? Those chainguns? Where do I find those for sale?

Thanks again

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 15:41

KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000 wrote:Those chainguns? Where do I find those for sale?
Check the nearest Teladi weapon shop.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 19:58

Energy Bolt Chainguns are ammo-based HEPTs--not good for capping. You need something like Phased Repeater Guns--heavy shield damage, comparatively light hull damage.

Ares23
x3tc

Post by Ares23 » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 20:00

PBE's are a pretty good choice for capping. High shield damage, very low hull damage.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 20:05

But a range of about 3 feet if you're lucky. :-)

Arcturas
x4

Post by Arcturas » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 20:14

I don't like PBE's :P

For capping I just use Alpha or Beta HEPT's , they work great for me and my bail rate is about 80% ( I also have a nice combat rating though, that is taken into account from what I've understood )
The Gobs of Bog will consume you all.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 20:31

Arcturas wrote:...my bail rate is about 80%...
Jeez, lower that figure a bit. There's no such possibility in an unmodified game.

KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000
x3tc

Post by KissMyPlasmaVentsx100000 » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 21:53

I have phased repeaters on at the moment. Just capped a couple of ships in a row by just hammering away at them. Got a mistral, that looks like it might make a good pirate ship.

Do M6s and bombers need to be boarded to capture them? I have had no luck with those so far.

Ares23
x3tc

Post by Ares23 » Tue, 25. Nov 08, 22:34

Bombers deffinetely don't need to be boarded, I've had them bail numerous times. M6 I'm not sure. I've heard people say that the Xenon P can bail sometimes, but I have not heard this about any of the other M6 ships, so I think that they may need to be boarded.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 26. Nov 08, 12:54

You can certainly capture M8s during the protect this station kind of missions, no idea abotu during normal play though.
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”