Remote guided warhead

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Kapakio
x4

Remote guided warhead

Post by Kapakio » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 14:42

It's just a fancy name or can you actually control it remotely?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 15:18

No, you can't control it remotely--it's just a standard seeker missile.

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 16:40

At first I, too, thought you could manually guide it. The name is misleading for beginners.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 18:00

RedLeader wrote:At first I, too, thought you could manually guide it. The name is misleading for beginners.
Not just the name, the description states you can take control of it--however, I've certainly never found a way to do so!

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 18:12

Maybe remote control via the monitor?

Although personally I've never tried that even with a ship...

Wolf-R1

Post by Wolf-R1 » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 18:19

No...you need to eject, jump into the warhead and drive it to the target. Yeah, that'll work.

:lol:

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 19:10

You mean, almost like Slim Pickens in that over the top funny scene in Dr. Strangelove (sitting on a falling nuke, wawing cowboy hat all the way)? :DD The ride of your life!

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 2. Dec 08, 23:55

Not sure why this is in the Spoilers forum, so unless someone strongly objects, I'll move it to the X-Universe forum.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Necrosexual

Post by Necrosexual » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 00:01

Remote guided warhead 100k damage interesting fact kestrel's (m5) can use them.

An m5 with a 100k dmg missile, scary.

DarthVodka
x3tc

Post by DarthVodka » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 00:43

lol there's a coincidence. I tried the remote flying thing yesterday too :oops:
Was scavenging at the time and picked up a couple of these warheads dropped during a battle a small Argon fleet were having with a Galleon and its entourage. The Galleon was blue to me, and despite the fact I'd actually been picking off Argon all evening (some of their fleet was red to me), I thought I'd lend them a hand and take a pop at the Galleon.

Targeted the Galleon. Fired. Realised there was no way to control the warhead and then noticed that it wasn't even flying towards the Galleon. Seems it completely ignored my blue target and picked a nice red Argon one of its own.

So, not only can you not control the things, but they also pick their own targets. And as I discovered later, wont launch at all unless there are red blips present.
The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom.
William Blake

Andaius

Post by Andaius » Wed, 3. Dec 08, 02:15

Some missiles don't need targets to home, Temptest for one auto target based on your friend foe settings. Also most if not all missiles (that track) home in on a "friendly" target I think.

Commander Zane
x3tc

Post by Commander Zane » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 22:40

Necrosexual wrote:Remote guided warhead 100k damage interesting fact kestrel's (m5) can use them.

An m5 with a 100k dmg missile, scary.
There's M4s that can mount Hammerhead (1,200,000) Missiles, that isn't scary? :roll:

mian_tylmiran
xr

Post by mian_tylmiran » Sat, 6. Dec 08, 08:41

M4's that can mount Hammerheads are usually the ones that explode and take a few of their buddies with them when you open fire on them. I refer to them as Suicide Bombers because they often launch the missile as I'm opening up on them with my Vidar.

The Pirate Kestrels that come out in the station defense missions are the ones that make me giggle, because they often fly right into the station due to awesome speed and poor piloting. Unfortunately, unless you can get a clear shot at them and do 50% hull damage, they usually die at impact.

Commander Zane
x3tc

Post by Commander Zane » Mon, 8. Dec 08, 04:01

mian_tylmiran wrote:M4's that can mount Hammerheads are usually the ones that explode and take a few of their buddies with them when you open fire on them. I refer to them as Suicide Bombers because they often launch the missile as I'm opening up on them with my Vidar.

The Pirate Kestrels that come out in the station defense missions are the ones that make me giggle, because they often fly right into the station due to awesome speed and poor piloting. Unfortunately, unless you can get a clear shot at them and do 50% hull damage, they usually die at impact.
Only if the A.I. or player is stupid enough to launch one when being fired upon. :roll:

Random_Guy
x3tc

Post by Random_Guy » Mon, 8. Dec 08, 04:12

I remember in Reunion you could remotely control ships through the monitors. You could select the monitor, enlarge it somewhat, and then fly the ship awkwardly with no HUD. I'm not sure exactly how you went about doing it as flying ships with no HUD virtually useless.

I haven't tried in TC, but I imagine that you can do the same thing. Perhaps, if you do it to a monitor that has your Remote Guided Warhead targetted, you could fly it like that?

Oh, and the Medusa Prototype can mount Firestorms. That's actually scary because its useful :P. An M8 that kicks *** as a fighter.

Commander Zane
x3tc

Post by Commander Zane » Mon, 8. Dec 08, 10:46

Remote linking to other ships can still be done, but mouse control makes it an annoyance when the ships wig out until you stabilize them, and no, RGWs can't be controlled like this.

Cith
x3tc

Post by Cith » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 21:11

The description clearly states that you can take control of the missile, but someone forgot to implement it. Hopefully it'll be patched in the future.
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day, teach a man how to fish and he'll eat yours.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 17. Apr 09, 21:19

Definitely past its prime. *click*
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”