bombers and missile frigates

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

954flyer
x3

bombers and missile frigates

Post by 954flyer » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 07:04

Ok, I read the encyclopedia, looked at some stats and I even captured a perigrine(by accident). But I've never flown a bomber or missile frigate. Can someone explain the differences and some tactics for using them successfully? Are they a good compliment to a fleet?

My usuall experience with missiles is that they get shot down often, usually too close to your own ship. I just can't imagine a ship that fires nothing but missiles being any good.

If they are good to have and there's a good tactic for using them, what complement of M8 bombers versus M7 missile frigates is good to have in a fleet?

While I'm at it, I'm not sure I fully understand the role of the M7M.

Thanks.

strikor
x3tc

Post by strikor » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 07:15

I've not messed with bombers but M7Ms can be very useful. Not only can they launch boarding pods, but flail barrage missiles are very difficult to shoot down. The downside is you pretty much need a few factories dedicated to producing them.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 07:18

Bombers are great at takeing out stations, M6 blobs and capital ships. Only usefull in player hands as the AI is downright retarded with this ship. NPC market was able to provide me with enough Tomohawks to use it here and there.

The M7M missile frigate is basicly a "I Win" button when faced with a insane ammount of enemies. I was able to do several patrol missions in the same sector, at the same time, while flying one in v1.2.1. I had a 13x flail and 7x hammer complex running non-stop the feed the silly thing. Again I've never seen the AI do anything of note with one, outside dry humping a pirate base.

I wonder if the Hammer torp was boosted in V1.3? It wasn't exactly a winner from what I could tell.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 07:25

The M7M, IMO, is much more practical than the M8. With the specialized Missile Barrage command, you can easily command your ships to ripple off Flail Barrage and Hammer Torpedoes at whatever threats you have. The Flail in particular is a fantastic missile.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 10:02

Thelic wrote:The M7M, IMO, is much more practical than the M8. With the specialized Missile Barrage command, you can easily command your ships to ripple off Flail Barrage and Hammer Torpedoes at whatever threats you have. The Flail in particular is a fantastic missile.
M8s have that command too.
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

Mikes78
x3

Post by Mikes78 » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 10:33

Kor'ah wrote: I wonder if the Hammer torp was boosted in V1.3? It wasn't exactly a winner from what I could tell.
Combat Rank: Legend
Mission: Xenon Patrol
Game Version.: 1.21
Ammunition Expended: 2500-3000 Hammer Torpedos at 10.000 credits each (produced in dedicated complex)
Credits earned: 1.112.000.000

Having a perfect framerate without slowdown or AI problems throughout the whole mission: Priceless.

Nuff said.

P.S.: I understand 1.3 changed the spawnrate in Patrol Missions, so maybe you can actually do them in an M2 now without constant freezes and total AI shutdown. Still doesn't change the fact that Hammers are the most effective weapon vs. pretty much any capital ship except Khaak. As far as "killspeed" goes, an M2 is a total slowpoke in comparison, because it a) is slow and b) has "only" 6km range whereas Hammers can pretty much take out any capital in the sector and travel at about 200 m/s. If that isn't a "winner", then what is ?;)
Last edited by Mikes78 on Fri, 5. Dec 08, 10:40, edited 2 times in total.

Stealth17
x3tc

Post by Stealth17 » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 10:36

hey.

I've writte an extensive piece on the use of M7M bombers in the topic M7M missile frigate.

have a look. I hope it explains things for you.
would advise you an M7M!

Stealth17
Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn...

Forsaker
x3tc

Post by Forsaker » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 10:52

Stealth17 wrote:hey.

I've writte an extensive piece on the use of M7M bombers in the topic M7M missile frigate.

would advise you an M7M!

Stealth17
link to this please?

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 11:56

I was going to moan that 30 million credits worth of munitions was a lot of money, until I saw what the mission reward was :D
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

954flyer
x3

Post by 954flyer » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 14:52

Stealth17 wrote:
hey.

would advise you an M7M!

Stealth17

link to this please?
Second that! Do you have a 'lazy button' link to this?

I didn't realize there was a 'barrage' command on these ships. That might make a huge difference.

Stealth17
x3tc

Post by Stealth17 » Fri, 5. Dec 08, 18:49

Here's the link:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php? ... le+frigate

The topic started of with me being happy with my new M7M and testing it out but steadily went to a discussion about the missile-capability and overall tactics to be used with this ship.
Like a thousand other commanders on a thousand other battlefields, I wait for the dawn...

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”