X3:TC - Paranid Agamemnon. Any good?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xiriod
x3tc

X3:TC - Paranid Agamemnon. Any good?

Post by xiriod » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 01:10

This ship can't normally be bought. But it looks so good. It does not have a top or bottom turret however. But it has 4 on each side. Anyone have any experience with it? :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 02:43

Agamemnon is, without a doubt, my favourite M7 - plenty of guns & good, strong shielding. It is an excellent capital ship killer if you can get hold of a few IBLs for its turrets. Does a decent job against fighters - 4 Flaks in each of its side turrets & it'll single-shot most fighters as soon as the come within range - M6s don't last long either. Alternatively you can use PSGs if you don't care about friendly fire issues (I do & stick to Flaks). Only major weaknesses are a couple of rather large blindspots you need to be aware of (no upper or lower turret) & no docking facilities, but can't have everything & aside from those issues it's an absolutely wonderful ship to fly.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 02:55

Yeah, it looks like it can go toe to toe with a M1 any day and even an M2. The Deimos is a tough bugger too though. And their speed isn't that bad either :)

cezarip
x3tc

Post by cezarip » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 12:39

GCU Grey Area wrote:Agamemnon is, without a doubt, my favourite M7 - plenty of guns & good, strong shielding. It is an excellent capital ship killer if you can get hold of a few IBLs for its turrets. Does a decent job against fighters - 4 Flaks in each of its side turrets & it'll single-shot most fighters as soon as the come within range - M6s don't last long either. Alternatively you can use PSGs if you don't care about friendly fire issues (I do & stick to Flaks). Only major weaknesses are a couple of rather large blindspots you need to be aware of (no upper or lower turret) & no docking facilities, but can't have everything & aside from those issues it's an absolutely wonderful ship to fly.
I got one yesterday evening. :D I was surprised that it cannot mount IBLs in the main slots. I will have to go with ISRs and PBEs. Also from 4 turrets only 3 (same turrets) can mount IBLs or FLAKs.

GCU Grey, what's your weapon setup?
Provided that the laws of mathematics are
related to reality, they are not reliable. And if
they are reliable, they aren’t related to
reality.

Albert Einstein

Paranoid66
x3tc

Post by Paranoid66 » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 12:49

Do you have to capture these or can they be bought? I must admit I would be tempted to get one just from the look of this machine.
Beyond 'X' Far future (Fanfic): BkI BkII BkIII

Never more than 98.8 percent sure about anything.
98.8 percent sure that anyone who is 100 percent certain needs re-educating for the sake of humanity.

cezarip
x3tc

Post by cezarip » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 12:56

Paranoid66 wrote:Do you have to capture these or can they be bought? I must admit I would be tempted to get one just from the look of this machine.
You cannot buy it, you have to board it.
Provided that the laws of mathematics are
related to reality, they are not reliable. And if
they are reliable, they aren’t related to
reality.

Albert Einstein

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 13:28

cezarip wrote:I got one yesterday evening. :D I was surprised that it cannot mount IBLs in the main slots. I will have to go with ISRs and PBEs. Also from 4 turrets only 3 (same turrets) can mount IBLs or FLAKs.

GCU Grey, what's your weapon setup?
Default setup is:
Main guns: 8 ISRs
Front turret: 4 IBLs
Left/right turret: 4 Flaks
Rear turret: 2 EBCs

Also carry a spare set of 4 IBLs to install in the right turret to deal with capitals - particularly KM2s where the extra firepower is necessary to kill them before the Agamennon's shields fail.

Against fighters only (i.e. when all capitals, M6s, etc have already been eliminated) I remove the IBLs from the front turret & 1 Flak from each of the side turrets & move those 2 Flaks into the front turret.

Necrosexual

Post by Necrosexual » Tue, 9. Dec 08, 18:39

My default Agamemnon setup is as follows

Front turrets 4x Incendiary bomb launchers
Right left back turrets 12x Phased shock wave generators(WHERE DID MY REPUTATION GO?).

Main guns... I forgot how many it can hold i think its 6? 4 CIGs 2 PSG.

If it only has 4 then PSG.

bent1ck
x3

Post by bent1ck » Wed, 10. Dec 08, 20:50

Main guns are 8 slots.

Demolisher 2
x3tc

Post by Demolisher 2 » Wed, 10. Dec 08, 21:58

My Agammemnon currently:
Main: 4xPSG (for killing everything), 4xCIG (for sniping)
Left: 3xPSG, 1xHEPT (The hept is for extra PSG range)
Right: 3xPSG, 1xHEPT (The hept is for extra PSG range)
Back: 2xPSG (a hept was too much of a sacrifice in damage)
Front: 4xIBL (for capital ship killing)

I generally manage not to run out of energy too quickly. Friendly fire is not an issue - if a Station goes red I destroy it. Simple as that. Ships never survive the PSG wave long enough to go red.
This signature is here because it makes my posts look longer and therefore makes me seem like I know what I am talking about - which I do, honest! :wink: For example, the Ray is the best M2 and a Falcon always beats the other M3s, see!

Hey, now that TC is out the Ray does seem to be one of the best M2's. Maybe I had better change my sig...

devir
x3

Post by devir » Wed, 10. Dec 08, 23:10

"You have to board it"

Yeah that is MUCH easier said than done.

It took me ohhhh about a modest 10 reloads to finally capture it. Wow what a prize it is.

The blind spots are there, it's just difficult to administer the pain medicine while staying in those blind spots.

I tried ION Shard guns first, ran out of juice before the shields were a quarter drained. It blew me up soon after the juice ran out.

I think I finally had captured it when I used a Vidar or Springblossom. Though the 400mj of less shielding the SB has makes a world of difference against this guy. hit and run worked really well and once the marines cut through the Hull I made sure to get myself as far away from this guy as possible all the while being very apologetic to the police.

Boarding is a huge PIA IMHO even with Cycrow's improved boarding script. A lot of the times the Marines sort of launched into space and never flew after the ship. But this rant should be reserved for a proper thread.

xiriod
x3tc

Post by xiriod » Fri, 12. Dec 08, 02:51

I have captured three Agamemnon's now, but I fear using them in case the AI also go for the weak belly. Now that I know that weakness, capturing an Agamemnon is just too easy. Go up beneath, and use strafing thrusters while maintaining same speed as it. Sure, it takes a lot of finger gymnastics but it should be over within 10 minutes depending on what you are flying.

So, does the AI go for the belly when we use it? Because, wow, that was one big weakness for such a lovely ship. Almost wish someone mod in a bottom turret even if it only has placement for 1 gun :)

GCU Grey Area
x4

Post by GCU Grey Area » Fri, 12. Dec 08, 04:54

xiriod wrote:I have captured three Agamemnon's now, but I fear using them in case the AI also go for the weak belly.
Fly it - definitely - it's a really effective killing machine. AI won't target the blindspots specifically - not that bright. If one does end up in the blindspot, the solution is to always have an external view open on one of the monitors & if you see fire coming from directly above or below, roll the ship to bring the attacker into the firing arc of one of the side turrets - with 4 flaks the offending ship won't be a problem for long. Think the blindspots are there for a reason (balance). Also, Agamenon is a prototype version & the blindspots are probably the reason it lost out to the Deimos for the Paranid M7 contract.

El Squid
x3tc

Post by El Squid » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 00:51

Hi, sorry about the retro post but I was looking for info and Googled it. I've recently boarded an Agamemnon using my Cobra and captured it with full shielding and 12 IBL's. Is this a regular thing or have I managed something spectacular? Not the capturing but the loadout. I stuck 8 PBE's in the main and a couple of Hepts in the back to complement this awesome ship. :D
You Have a choice.......Live free or buy into a repressive government. Pay your tax...then more tax....and still more...Baaaa, Baaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaaa, Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 00:58

It's a great ship, yes there are blindspots, but if you have PSGs they don't matter as much- it can mount more IBLs than the Deimos but doesn't have any more cargo space. Well worth having, almost as good as the Hyperion :D

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 01:12

GCU Grey Area wrote: Default setup is:
Main guns: 8 ISRs
Front turret: 4 IBLs
Left/right turret: 4 Flaks
Rear turret: 2 EBCs

Also carry a spare set of 4 IBLs to install in the right turret to deal with capitals - particularly KM2s where the extra firepower is necessary to kill them before the Agamennon's shields fail.

Against fighters only (i.e. when all capitals, M6s, etc have already been eliminated) I remove the IBLs from the front turret & 1 Flak from each of the side turrets & move those 2 Flaks into the front turret.
That setup right there is win. Been useing it myself on my personal Agamemnon forever. Divert as much cargo space as pratical to missiles. Won't be carrying Hyperion numbers, but enough to matter.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Thu, 29. Apr 10, 01:14

Please don't resurrect ancient threads.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”