CIG HEPT or ISR (aka another loadout question)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JFJohnny5
x4

CIG HEPT or ISR (aka another loadout question)

Post by JFJohnny5 » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 08:01

Trying to figure out how I want my shiny new Deimos loaded out. I'm mostly concerned with the main guns. I use PSG and Flak for fighter defense in the turrets for the most part. Still playing with that though... After crunching some numbers here's what I found:

Between HEPT and CIG, the HEPT has a much higher rate of fire which results in more dps and also uses 60% as much energy per second making it a lot more efficient. Someone will have to tell me why they like CIGs so much... The extra 1k range is nice, but since on a Deimos it would all be front mounted anyway... well that 1k range disappears in a hurry.

Now the ISR... Better dps than the HEPT. Nearly the same rate of fire AND 3.3k range. But it uses a good deal more energy making it only about 40% as efficient as HEPTs. And just "how" does the ISR "disrupt weapons"? Do some guns stop working? And for how long?

So far I seem to like a full HEPT loadout. Am I missing something?

Now maybe my problems come from play style. I tend to throttle up and fly in guns blazing against other corvettes/frigs (love the Deimos shields). Should I be trying to stay at max range with CIGs or the ISR? It seems like most all the combat is strafing runs until you get an M2/M1. Or perhaps I should consider less anti-fighter on the turrets? I'm open to comments, suggestions, experiences, whatever.

Sorry if this seems a bit scattered. It's late. Think I'll stop there and go to bed!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 08:40

Rate of fire isn't relevant. The numbers for shield and hull damage given in the Encyclopaedia are ALREADY "per second", so CIGs do more damage than HEPTs. This makes them an excellent choice for main guns--if you can't get IBLs for the turrets CIGs will kill cap ships faster than HEPTs will.

I wouldn't touch ISRs with a very long bargepole if I were you. Damage is OK, but they absolutely drink your energy reserves--it does you no good to be doing slightly more damage if you have to stop firing every 5 seconds for your generator to recharge!

strikor
x3tc

Post by strikor » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 08:46

I concur - avoid ISRs on the Deimos main guns. The weapon drain on the target is rather small, and they can't fire their guns when they're dead.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 14:59

CIGs also send smaller ships spinning, although the effect probably isn't going to be significant on anything you're going to turn your main guns on.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

JFJohnny5
x4

Post by JFJohnny5 » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 15:55

pjknibbs wrote:The numbers for shield and hull damage given in the Encyclopaedia are ALREADY "per second"
:o

Now THAT'S a revelation!! lol Seriously, thanks for the info. Time to go re-review my options. :)

JFJohnny5
x4

Post by JFJohnny5 » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 16:26

Crap. Just thought of something else. What about mixing weapons on turrets? I seem to remember that being a bad idea in X3R. Any change in TC?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 17. Dec 08, 18:22

It's about the same situation. Mixing weapons on turrets isn't intrinsically bad--where you get problems is when you mix two weapons with widely differing range, because the turret will fire all its installed weapons as soon as the longest range one comes into range, and that's wasting energy and/or ammunition depending what the shorter range weapons are. However, mixing weapons with the same sort of range (e.g. HEPT and PAC) works fine.

arazar
x2

Post by arazar » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 12:39

Concerning the mixing of weapons in turrets.
If i fire 2 different weps at the same time from my main guns, none hit since the telemetry for the weapons is different but Im aiming at the same spot.

Could I consider each wep slot in a turret as an individual turret then?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 13:17

Are you using mouse fire? If you were using Boresight fire and had auto-aim active then using two different types of weapons in your main guns WOULD both hit--it's quite freaky, actually, since you get two streams of gunfire going in different directions! A turret under AI control will use auto-aim anyway (provided you have it switched on) so it's not an issue.

Ralon
x3tc

Post by Ralon » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 14:08

pjknibbs wrote:Are you using mouse fire? If you were using Boresight fire and had auto-aim active then using two different types of weapons in your main guns WOULD both hit--it's quite freaky, actually, since you get two streams of gunfire going in different directions! A turret under AI control will use auto-aim anyway (provided you have it switched on) so it's not an issue.
What's the diff between Boresight and Mouse Fire? lol
Knowledge is Power and in a universe where knowledge is everything, power is the result!

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 14:15

Ralon wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:Are you using mouse fire? If you were using Boresight fire and had auto-aim active then using two different types of weapons in your main guns WOULD both hit--it's quite freaky, actually, since you get two streams of gunfire going in different directions! A turret under AI control will use auto-aim anyway (provided you have it switched on) so it's not an issue.
What's the diff between Boresight and Mouse Fire? lol
Boresight fire is the same as when using classical flight mode, and auto-aim is active, as pjknibbs said. Mouse fire, on the other hand, everything in your guns that you are controlling fires at the same point. So if you're using mouse fire, then I'd suggest using only 1 weapon type at a time, or at least weapons with similar speeds.

arazar
x2

Post by arazar » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 15:17

Thanks, now I need to go and buy some more weps when I get home :=)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”