Smoke while flying SETA

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

[Snipe] Bando
x3tc

Smoke while flying SETA

Post by [Snipe] Bando » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 04:58

Anyone else seen this? When flying at SETAx10 I see smoke in front of my ship (M3 mamba). Reducing to 8xSETA occasianally brings the smoke up, reducing the SETA further, the smoke dissapears.

Another observation: I sometimes see "refuse" ships flying by. What are those ships? Should they be refugees ships or is refuse the right word to use? If so, what does a refuse ship do?

Obviously, English is not my native language.

Bando

Eandir
x3tc

Post by Eandir » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 05:11

refuse

1 : the worthless or useless part of something : leavings 2 : trash , garbage

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 05:16

Im not entirely sure what the smoke is, but its annoying.. I think it is your engine trail.

As per the refuse ships...

"refuse" is 'to turn down'...
Or,
'garbage'

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, sorry :\
Perhaps try in your native language? someone here may be able to help...

[Snipe] Bando
x3tc

Post by [Snipe] Bando » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 05:21

No no. If refuse is a good word, it's OK. I just did not know what it ment, or if the word was misspelled.

As for the smoke, it's very annoying indeed. I was afraid it was a problem only for me, but I see more people experience this phenomena. If anyone found a solution, that'll be great (other than slowing SETA down)

Lancefighter
x4

Post by Lancefighter » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 05:25

ive found flying bigger ships seems to lessen the effect of the smoke... you cant really see it when you are flying a m1 :wink:

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 05:41

I get the same thing in my game; I think it's a performance issue.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

ChairborneRanger
x4

Post by ChairborneRanger » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 06:52

I also have seen this. It is most present when flying at least 150 m/s or greater, and with SETA above 8ish. I'm willing to bet that when SETA is on that the game engine is not updating the pilot's view and the engine trail in proper synchronization, and thus the disconnected smoke trail graphic is actually being rendered in front of the pilot's view...

... but I could be wrong. That just seems logical. :gruebel:

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 07:35

It's caused by engine trails. This is a Terran Conflict "bug" not present in Reunion. We've stopped putting trails in our upcoming mod because of it.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 10:07

I get that when I'm at max SETA - just turn SETA down a bit..

..I run mine mostly at 300% - and the blurring vanishes :wink:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 14:58

ChairborneRanger wrote:I also have seen this. It is most present when flying at least 150 m/s or greater, and with SETA above 8ish. I'm willing to bet that when SETA is on that the game engine is not updating the pilot's view and the engine trail in proper synchronization, and thus the disconnected smoke trail graphic is actually being rendered in front of the pilot's view...

... but I could be wrong. That just seems logical. :gruebel:
I think it's because higher seta does calculations less often to enable you to run at that speed which leads to all sorts of wierd effects like more wobble when towing stations, autopilot crashes and engine trails out in front of you. Just use SETA 6x for normal travel and you'll be fine.
Observe wrote:It's caused by engine trails. This is a Terran Conflict "bug" not present in Reunion. We've stopped putting trails in our upcoming mod because of it.
This was definitely in previous games, but maybe they fixed it there?
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

[Snipe] Bando
x3tc

Post by [Snipe] Bando » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 17:44

I've never ever seen smoke effect in SETA in reunion or x2 or xbtf.

Just like going through a gate in TC while in SETA. Sometimes you fly through the gate and the jump will not be initiated while driving a fast ship. Some of the devs said it was in Reunion as well. I never ever saw this happen in any previous X game. Even the much faster ships from previous X games did not have this effect on my rig.
Now it does. Same engine, more or less, same game.....

Here's to hoping it will be fixed :thumb_up:

Dantrithor
x3tc

Post by Dantrithor » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 17:46

[Snipe] Bando wrote:Even the much faster ships from previous X games did not have this effect on my rig.
In X-Tension, with a fully upgraded pegasus (~1250m/s), i had to slow down prior reaching gates. Sometimes you would just happily go through the singularity without jumping.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 18:18

They should call them "rubbish" ships.

Gilesey
x3tc

Post by Gilesey » Mon, 22. Dec 08, 23:21

Do you mean the derelict ships lying around in remote sectors?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”