[TC] Unfocussed Jumpdrive: we seem to be lost, dear

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

CNiall

Unfocussed Jumpdrive: we seem to be lost, dear

Post by CNiall » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 20:23

What exactly does the unfocussed jumpdrive attained during the Goner plot do? I was under the impression that it allowed for gateless jumps, i.e. jumps to any position within a sector in the same manner as the various nasties spawned by patrols, but instead I end up in a reasonably large unknown sector not on the universe map at all, often containing some Xenon or Kha'ak.

What is this sector, why am I there, and what is the purpose of the unfocussed jumpdrive?

(If you're curious, the unfocussed jumpdrive isn't an announced rewards and the option for an unfocussed jump is found under the navigation menu)

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 20:55

The purpose of the unfocused jumpdrive is to make an unfocused jump - i.e. throw you to a random point in space. In practice this means you get an (apparently randomly generated) unknown sector each time. Sometimes it's clear so a good place to rest during a fight, sometimes it has nvidium asteroids to mine and sometimes you get xenon.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

ChairborneRanger
x4

Post by ChairborneRanger » Thu, 25. Dec 08, 21:10

Also about 1 in 50,000 jumps will have a 2% chance to take you to the UFO station sector where you can buy any ship or weapon in the game.

Oh, and if you're interested, I have tickets for the Boron MegaBillions Jackpot lotto for 5000c a pop. Odds this month are great at 1 x 10^4203. :boron:

gillrichard
x3tc

Post by gillrichard » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 10:14

ChairborneRanger wrote:Oh, and if you're interested, I have tickets for the Boron MegaBillions Jackpot lotto for 5000c a pop. Odds this month are great at 1 x 10^4203. :boron:
I'll take 2 please!

P.S. regarding the original question, I was suprised when I first used the UJ as I jumped to a rather random location and then when I hit UJ again, magically I jumped right back to where I was...unfocussed my $£"$
The thing is...there is no thing.

TEA_Cypher
x4

Post by TEA_Cypher » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 14:07

Also another side effect I have found is that some time you will randomly lose equipment, my triplex scanner, docking computer and transprter have all vanished in the past, I use to use it as a cheap way to refuel, now I dont use it at all.

TheElix

Post by TheElix » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 14:21

I think unfocused jump is handy when you have it on a hotkey to jump out of critical situations.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 15:06

Hmm all things considered it's a pretty pathetic reward. When i heard about an unfocused jumpdrive I was also hoping for a true point to point jumpdrive. That would be EXTREMELY useful and definitely worth doing the plot for. The unfocused jumpdrive we got though? It's something of a disappointment, little more then a curiosity.
Something to play with when excessively bored but of little use otherwise.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

devir
x3

Post by devir » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 16:59

Nyax wrote:Hmm all things considered it's a pretty pathetic reward. When i heard about an unfocused jumpdrive I was also hoping for a true point to point jumpdrive. That would be EXTREMELY useful and definitely worth doing the plot for. The unfocused jumpdrive we got though? It's something of a disappointment, little more then a curiosity.
These are the things that make a game more fun and add personality. It may not serve a direct purpose to the advancement of the game itself, but offers a nice distraction and some random fun encounters.

ChairborneRanger
x4

Post by ChairborneRanger » Fri, 26. Dec 08, 22:37

devir wrote:
Nyax wrote:Hmm all things considered it's a pretty pathetic reward. When i heard about an unfocused jumpdrive I was also hoping for a true point to point jumpdrive. That would be EXTREMELY useful and definitely worth doing the plot for. The unfocused jumpdrive we got though? It's something of a disappointment, little more then a curiosity.
These are the things that make a game more fun and add personality. It may not serve a direct purpose to the advancement of the game itself, but offers a nice distraction and some random fun encounters.
Besides, this is the Goners we're talking about here. Did you really expect to get something unbelievably useful out of them? At least the boron usually give you something of great value and usefulness after their missions are finished. Despite the fact that they are a million times longer and make you want to destroy their entire race... stinking squids.

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 11:45

It is Unfocused Jumpdrive.

CNiall

Post by CNiall » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 13:43

Yeah, it's pretty easy to interpret unfocused as not requiring gates, you know.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 16:22

if you are jumping to an exactly position in space instead of to the gates, wouldn't you be focuessing on that position ?

so how can you have an unfocussed just by focusesing on another position ?

basically its not targeting at all, and just jumping randomly, space is so big, that most of the time you will end up somewhere completly unknown.

luckily the goners made the device store the return coordinates so you can actually get back so you dont get completly lost ;)

thinking of it like the old tv show, sliders

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 17:11

Unfocused sounds more like

Code: Select all

Randomize
RandSector% = Int * RndSectors% + 1
If Rand Sector% = 1 Then
UnfocusSectorData = Khaak
Else If...
(Visual Basic 6... I need the .net (10) version, I know)

Anyway.

Unfocused = Random point between Infinity and Infinity
Focused = Specific point between Infinity and Infinity

Or if you want a better version, read Cycrows version ;)

CNiall

Post by CNiall » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 17:27

I thought of it as not being focused on the individual gates.

(I think you mean negative infinity and infinity there, though? :P)

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 18:44

Infinity to <- way and to -> way
Edit: And | and | way. And \ and /.
Ok, 360 degree to every direction infinity.

Edit2: -Infinity? What are you trying to do, break the universe? Next you'll divide and multiply it by ZerOH SHI-
Last edited by supakillaii on Sat, 27. Dec 08, 18:47, edited 3 times in total.

CNiall

Post by CNiall » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 18:45

supakillaii wrote:Infinity to <- way and to -> way
Hence positive and negative infinity: a number infinitely greater than 0 and a number infinitely less than 0.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Sat, 27. Dec 08, 19:14

:lol:

thats what I was going to say!!!!
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

Vinniversym
x3tc

Post by Vinniversym » Sun, 28. Dec 08, 00:32

gillrichard wrote:
ChairborneRanger wrote:Oh, and if you're interested, I have tickets for the Boron MegaBillions Jackpot lotto for 5000c a pop. Odds this month are great at 1 x 10^4203. :boron:
I'll take 2 please!

P.S. regarding the original question, I was suprised when I first used the UJ as I jumped to a rather random location and then when I hit UJ again, magically I jumped right back to where I was...unfocussed my $£"$

Emm... wear i can take these Jackpot lotto? :?

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Sun, 28. Dec 08, 02:02

What happens if...

You make an unfocused jump, and then use your standard jumpdrive to jump back to a known location. After returning to known space, if you engage the unfocused jumpdrive again, will it return you to the spot from which you made the original unfocused jump?

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Sun, 28. Dec 08, 02:03

You can't (atleast shouldn't) be able to use Regular JDrive while in Unfocused JDrive space

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”