Make Earth worthwhile

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Would you like an option to buy AGI taskforce ships?

No, only AGI commander and his mother can be trusted
6%
No, I think piracy and ship capture makes it easy enough
19%
Let us buy all AGI fighters, but that's it
12%
Let us buy all M6s and lower
4%
Let us buy all M7s and lower
4%
Let us buy even the AGI fleet's finest (they still cost a lot...)
54%

Total votes: 98

RedLeader

Make Earth worthwhile

Post by RedLeader » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 16:37

With Earth being so buggy and of dubious revisit value (not counting jumpdrive and several other minor items), I propose to make it a bit more valuable.

How about being able to buy AGI taskforce ships there? Would make Earth a special place for sure as the only reliable supplier :)

Was thinking about ability to buy Terran stations, but figured they are too big and unwieldy, and could mess up sector traffic, besides only the Ice mine could really come in handy (unless someone wants to set up a whole terran supply chain).

I know this could be modded, but why not let vanil.. eer, official version do justice to Earth. If only pathfinding were a bit better there...

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 16:43

Nah, part of the fun is capturing what you can't buy.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 16:50

Nar. Until you get sent there on a mission, you're not even ALLOWED to go to Earth. You won't be buying a Valhalla any time soon.

I still think, though, that there should be more traffic. It's probably the busiest place in the system but there's hardly any freetrader traffic. And it has strange, lonely music.

The Torus should be a place where you can buy pretty much anything Terran, ships, weapons, shields, goods, whatever.

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 17:26

If you are allowed to visit Earth, you are deemed trustworthy enough. Why not let us buy AGI fighters? For the bigger ships, I agree, it would probably take away challenge.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 17:32

Well i for one think this is a good idea.

I also think the buying stations thing shouldn't be too much of an issue either. The really gigantic Terran stations are the Docks. So basically Terran equivalents of shipyards, military bases, Trading stations and equipment docks. In other words places that sell stuff but don't actually make anything. It's not much of a loss if you don't put these up for sale.

The Terran FACTORY stations on the other hand (the ones most players actually are going to want to own) are much more sensible sizes, similar in fact to regular stations. Size shouldn't be a problem for these. The only exception i can think of are Terran solar power plants. They are also a touch on the huge side :)
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 18:41

Nyax wrote:Well i for one think this is a good idea.

I also think the buying stations thing shouldn't be too much of an issue either. The really gigantic Terran stations are the Docks. So basically Terran equivalents of shipyards, military bases, Trading stations and equipment docks. In other words places that sell stuff but don't actually make anything. It's not much of a loss if you don't put these up for sale.

The Terran FACTORY stations on the other hand (the ones most players actually are going to want to own) are much more sensible sizes, similar in fact to regular stations. Size shouldn't be a problem for these. The only exception i can think of are Terran solar power plants. They are also a touch on the huge side :)
The factories are still much bigger than Commonwealth factories.

If you ask me they should be XL size - they're massive constructions with tiny production.

And as for buying fighters, considering how overpowered ATF ships are, they must have some rather nice technology. We don't want any Commonwealthers getting their hands on that tech, now do we.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 18:54

I'm not a commonwealther. I'm Terran.

And if a ship is 'overpowered' then just make it very expensive to buy.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

BeidAmmikon
x3tc

Post by BeidAmmikon » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 21:28

Fighters only, at most M6's. Anything upper class destroys the little realism this section of the game gives it. I mean, let the destroyers and the rest belong to earthlings only, to protect the homeworld, because in wrong hands who knows what might happen :D Or, do we know? :o

amtie
x3tc

Post by amtie » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 22:40

Terrans would regret selling me their finest ships, especially when they find a dozen lovely Xenon Qs banging on their doors, lured by a fishy.

Thelic
x4

Post by Thelic » Thu, 1. Jan 09, 23:06

Nyax wrote:I'm not a commonwealther. I'm Terran.

At the rate TC prints money, I don't think it's possible to offset any ship's power with price.

RedLeader

Post by RedLeader » Fri, 2. Jan 09, 22:33

Well, yes, AGI capitals are a bit controversial, but then again, we are able to buy the big boys of other 'secretive' races, no problem, aren't we?

These ships could - and probably should - be up to 1.5-2x more expensive than others of their class. Station stock - max 1, slower replenishment, but guess we're talking about the idea of buying or not buying even the first here. Outfitting Terran ships is a pain, as always, so it's a mini campaign itself, but nicely accumulable over time for a careful planner.

So this actually leaves the whole matter to devs because that is good old 'makes no sense that we cannot...' vs 'but that is the tradition and it would be worse without...' standoff.

Still, do we agree that at least buyable fighters would do not much harm to the glory of big ship hunters, while seriously improving our fighter selection - and doing justice to logic?

-Villain-
x2

Post by -Villain- » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 01:14

you guys know about the shipyards, right? here....http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=228890

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 04:03

I'd have thought if they're going to make ATF ships availible then the Saturn shipyard would be a better choice as ATF seems largely based in the outer system.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 05:06

Nyax wrote:I'm not a commonwealther. I'm Terran.

No, it really does make sense. I always thought of it like buying weapons in America. You can own weapons for personal protection and hunting and the like, but the US government isn't going to let you buy advanced military weapons, no matter how much money you have.

That's what I always thought the ATF was. The 'military' hardware, reserved for the actual military arm of Terra, while the Terran equipment (TEC or whatever it is) is the civilian and peacekeeping arm of Terra. Suitable for personal defense and civilian peacekeeping efforts.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 07:57

NeverSnake wrote:I'd have thought if they're going to make ATF ships availible then the Saturn shipyard would be a better choice as ATF seems largely based in the outer system.
But it's the ATF who control access to Earth and the rest of the inner system, which kind of contradicts that!

Gothsheep
x3tc

Post by Gothsheep » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 09:53

Can someone please explain to me what the ATF actually is?

They're the AGI Taskforce, I know. But that would sort of define their role as a specialized branch of the greater USC forces. However, it seems that, not only is the ATF completely separate from the USC, but they are above it. They control security of Earth, possess far better technology, exc. So looking at how it actually functions, my idea of them being the military to the USC's civilian police seems more accurate.

So just how does the military of Sol work?

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 12:30

Gothsheep wrote:So just how does the military of Sol work?
Basically the Terrans just stand one sector back from the player's current location and yell,

"STAY THE [censored] OUT OF OUR BORDERS, YER INBRED [censored]"

And if you should travel to Earth, they kill you.

Krogort
x4

Post by Krogort » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 13:12

Being able to buy all their ship but the Valhalla (it need to stay unique) would be cool, but the price tag need to be something like 250mil for a Tyr.

It make more sense to me than capturing an Odin in Heretic End and still being able to dock at Taurus...

Frostynso

Post by Frostynso » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 16:45

Krogort wrote:Being able to buy all their ship but the Valhalla (it need to stay unique) would be cool, but the price tag need to be something like 250mil for a Tyr.

It make more sense to me than capturing an Odin in Heretic End and still being able to dock at Taurus...
Where is the Valhalla? I've never even seen this ship.

Abaws
x4

Post by Abaws » Sat, 3. Jan 09, 18:23

I think that would simply ruined game balance...those ships are overpowered.

And buying them in mass along with weapons and stuff would simply make that game boring...

I have a Tyr...fully geared. I had to board 7 terran M1-M2 to fit it out and lost 2 marines while doing it...

it now clears any xenon sector in 5 minutes, I wouldn't want to know what 5 of them would do

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”