[X3TC]Weapons and their effects

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Perseus1986

[X3TC]Weapons and their effects

Post by Perseus1986 » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 17:53

Now, TC has an impressive array of weapons. The trouble is , i'm not sure what all of them do. Some of them are area effect weapons, others are just standard lasers.

Is there a list which describes what each weapon does? (Besides the Encyclopaedia in the game)

DevilDog_016
x3

Post by DevilDog_016 » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 17:56

To generalize, all weapons blst the [censored] out of your enemies :rofl:

{This is a family-friendly forum. Do not attempt to bypass the profanity filter. - Nanook}
Yo dawg, I heard you like plasma, so we put HEPTs in yo HEPTs so you can blast foos while you blast foos!

Proud owner of an original copy of Tachyon The Fringe.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 18:57

All the old weapons (IRE, PAC, HEPT, PPC, MD, IonD, PSG, PBE, FAA, KE) pretty much do what they used to. For the ones that used to have Alpha/Beta/Gamma calibers, they've basically been evened our to their Beta calibers.

The new ones I'm still sort of working out, but what I've gathered so far:

Plasma Burst Generator- giant flamethrower of death. The idea is like a more focused PSG, you still use it to target a single foe but it takes skill to miss. They hurt like balls, too, and en masse they can even worry frigates and larger. They're also fairly efficient. The only downside is their pretty midgety range (~1 km.)

Cluster Flak Array- same idea as the FAA mostly, but heads out to a predetermined distance and then bursts into a bunch of little razors. It horribly, nastily kills anything fighter size or smaller, as long as it's at this predetermined distance. Get inside this range and it needs to hit you on the nose, which seems to be a taller order than with the FAA. A good combination, then, is a few Cluster Flaks mounted with a few normal flaks. The clusters nail everything at a pretty long range, and anything they miss gets finished off by the regular flaks.

Energy Bolt Chaingun- like the HEPT but requries ammo. It uses very little/no energy so it has a few uses- they can go in your turrets so they don't interfere with your main cannons, or they can go in your main cannons so they don't interfere with your turrets.

Ion Shard Railgun- not really sure, haven't actually used one yet. I'm pretty sure they slow you down if they hit you, though, and might have more-than-normal destructive effects against extensions and systems. Kinda cool, but not an IonD replacement because A-- it's kinda a slow projectile, and B-- it damages hull. Decent pursuit weapon, though, to nail fleeing fast ships.

Gauss Cannon- an ammunition-based replacement for the PPC, basically. Has bit of a stunted range, but it's ammo based so it can keep on flailing until you've driven your last mass. Therefore good for the Phoenix, which can keep swinging long after its foe has drained his last ounce of PPC juice into its monster shields.

Ion Cannon- kinda like a PPC but with a negligibly shorter range. The big difference is that is murders shields but is relatively tame once it gets to the hull. Which isn't so bad, once the shields are down it's generally game over anyway.

Fragmentation Bomb Launcher- pretty useless. It's supposed to be like a proximity bomb that goes off next to your ship and then rips you a new one with little flak rounds, but a-- the flak rounds almost never hit you no matter how close you are, b-- if it hits you on the nose you only get docked for a single flak round hitting you, c-- it doesn't go off by proximity. Don't use them, just sell them. Apparently someone's paying a decent price for them.

Incendiary Bomb Launcher- haven't actually seen them used, I think. But supposedly they are the shiznit and kill things hard. Heard them used as a PPC on ships that can't mount a PPC. So basically they're capital ship slayers for use on frigates. Hard to get your hands on them, though.

Phased Repeater Gun- here's a handy weapon. First of all it has an amazingly good fire rate and a very fast projectile speed- it doesn't punch particularly hard (PAC's hurt more, I think) but they almost always hit. They are pretty strictly anti-fighter but they're useful on everything smaller than an M7- and on an M7 they're still decent as a temporary solution while you go find flak guns. In your own ship's main guns (preferably in a fighter), they're really, really nasty because they have approximately one bajillion times their normal fire rate, so while they will have betty warning you about low energy pretty quickly, they can eat anything fighter sized in just a few seconds. Conversely, it really, really sucks if they're being shot at you. It's almost like being shot at with a PBE, but not quite that panicky (you can at least strafe-dodge a PRG a little bit).

TERRAN WEAPONS!!

Electromagnetic Plasma Cannon- it's sort of the in-between of the PAC and the HEPT. Can be used against small, fast targets or medium targets, but doesn't excel in either role. It's mountable on the Sabre and the Rapier though, which makes for interesting options- a wing of Rapiers armed with EMPCs could horribly, horribly murder an M6 or even an M7 (barring a large amount of flak).

Matter/AntiMatter Launcher- for one thing, I love how it abbreviates to M/A-ML. MAMMAL! :D lawls. Anyway, it's an ammo weapon that's sort of the analog of the Concussion Impulse Generator, without the concussion part. Long reach and pretty healthy amounts of ammo for the space it requires.

Starburst Shockwave Cannon- someone fill me in on this one cuz I haven't actually used it... to my knowledge it's sort of the analog of the flak cannon? But sort of punchier so as to be good against big ships too? Dunno. :(

Point Singularity Projector- haven't used it either but I'm pretty sure it's essentially the analog of the PPC, except with even more horrible nasty death involved. Also inordinately hard to get your hands on.

Am I missing anything?

EDIT

yup, I missed the Phased Repeater Gun. :roll: Funny, I use that one all the time...
Last edited by Tenlar Scarflame on Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:14, edited 2 times in total.
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:08

Well I'll see what I can do

Impulse Ray Emitter IRE - yellow peashooter laser, bugger all damage but fast firing and uses virtually no energy. Good against light fighters and missiles.

Particle Accelerator Cannon PAC - blue laser commonly found on medium/heavy fighters, does reasonable damage but slower bullet speed and uses more energy. Good against most fighters.

High Energy Plasma Thrower HEPT - green laser that mashes up heavy fighrters and does good damage against corvettes. Don't expect it to hit a light fighter though. Good against medium fighters to corvettes.

Concussion Impulse Generator CIG - purply-blue laser (?) commonly found on destroyers and in the main batteries of corvettes. On impact it pushes the ship around and can send fighters reeling.

Photon Pulse Cannon PPC - blue-white laser, found on capital ships to kill other capital ships. Hopeless against anything smaller than a frigate since you won't hit the target. Ever.

Plasma Burst Generator PBG - massively overpowered flamethrower weapon with area damage.

Fragmentation Bomb Launcher FBL - largely pointless weapon that makes overly loud explosions upon reaching maximum range - but doesn't do the splash damage when impacting an enemy, making it pretty much useless.

Phased Repeater Gun PRG - The minigun of the X-Universe. Very high bullet speed with good damage rating and huge fire rate. Excellent against small fighters and as a missile defense turret but like the PAC lacks the raw power to deal with things bigger than fighters.

Flak Artillery Array FAA/FLAK - Generic flak weapon found on frigates and bigger. Short range, mashes fighters. What more do you need to know?

Ion Disruptor ID - does no hull damage and fires in a beam that sometimes jumps light a lightning flash to other objects, leading to friendly fire if you're unlucky or careless. If you focus the beam on a ship you can eventually strip all the weapons off it by frying them.

Mass Driver MD - bypasses shields but has low damage. Never used it personally.

Pulsed Beam Emitter PBE - virtually undodgeable, ludicrous shield damage but very little hull damage. Popular for capping with. Main armament in Xenon fighters. Very short range.

Electro Magnetic Plasma Cannon EMPC - Terran fighter weapon compatible with some Xenon ships. Somewhere between a PAC and a HEPT, with unusually high hull damage.

Matter/AntiMatter Launcher M/AM - never used it but apparently is an ammo-based version of the EMPC, bugger all energy usage and almost twice the damage.

Starburst Shockwave Cannon SSC - Terran version of flak. Nothing more need be said.

Point Singularity Projector PSP - Terran version of the PPC.

Incendiary Bomb Launcher IBL - never used it, but I think it's like a PPC but generally lighter. Notoriously difficult to acquire any at all, with the only factories situated in Yaki space.

That's all the ones I can think of at the moment.
Last edited by MegaJohnny on Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:34, edited 1 time in total.

Tenlar Scarflame
xr

Post by Tenlar Scarflame » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:16

Hmmm... now we have what's approaching a comprehensive, sensible weapons list.

With a bit of formatting this ought to be linked in the "guides" sticky... :)
My music - Von Neumann's Children - Lasers and Tactics

I'm on Twitch! 21:15 EST Sundays. Come watch me die a lot.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:20

Forgot one: Ion Pulse Generator. It basically does what Tenlar mistakenly claims the Ion Shard Railgun does. I use one or two IPG's to slow and keep shields down on a capture target for my marines. It doesn't have the nasty side effect of frying your marines like an Ion Disruptor does, and it only does minimal hull damage if applied properly. :D
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Thu, 8. Jan 09, 19:34

Nanook wrote:Forgot one: Ion Pulse Generator. It basically does what Tenlar mistakenly claims the Ion Shard Railgun does. I use one or two IPG's to slow and keep shields down on a capture target for my marines. It doesn't have the nasty side effect of frying your marines like an Ion Disruptor does, and it only does minimal hull damage if applied properly. :D
Yeah ISRs are have better damage and more bullet speed than a HEPT but chews through energy reserves so quickly it's not really worth bothering with. I never noticed special effects in the ISR while I used them.

Perseus1986

Post by Perseus1986 » Fri, 9. Jan 09, 03:24

Hey, thanks a lot for the info guys. Really appreciate the time you've put into it. Actually, I wanted a good configuration for my Centaur , so I needed to know how each weapon worked.

With that out of the way, I decided to use PRGs as my turrets, but i'm still confused about the main guns. Should I go all CIGs or something else?

b1rd

Post by b1rd » Fri, 9. Jan 09, 04:18

Perseus1986 wrote:Hey, thanks a lot for the info guys. Really appreciate the time you've put into it. Actually, I wanted a good configuration for my Centaur , so I needed to know how each weapon worked.

With that out of the way, I decided to use PRGs as my turrets, but i'm still confused about the main guns. Should I go all CIGs or something else?
about that particular question... there's a little thread about outfitting the HCP here.

firstmate

Post by firstmate » Fri, 9. Jan 09, 08:48

b1rd wrote:about that particular question... there's a little thread about outfitting the HCP here.
that topic i believe is about the heavy centaur prototype which is a bit different than the vanilla centaur.

vanilla centaur i would load CIG's up front, 6 mayb, and 2 PAC or PRG's as secondary fire. the CIG's are great on front of any corvette. CIG's 6 fired at once at a m3 will almost always INSTANTLY strip it's shields and send it spinning... follow up with your secondary lighter front weapons for a cap, or just fire another blob-o-CIG's to finish the job. CIG's work well for damage against larger ships as well.

turret, i dunno. my Corvettes i usually just slap a HEPT in there, especially if its a corvette with just 1 turret slot like the centaur. PBG's for turrets work very nicely too, but i forget if the centaur can get them into its turret. edit: mayb try mxing HEPT's in 2 of the turrets, and putting something light in the 3rd. centaur can take a PRG in the turrets.

GrastDK
xr

Post by GrastDK » Thu, 3. Jun 10, 01:27

how about the PALC - phased array laser cannon? any info about that?
/Grast out

garv222

Post by garv222 » Thu, 3. Jun 10, 01:43

Ion shard railguns drain weapons energy. Not so useful against ships when you use it, but when they start using it on you, you will definitely notice the effect.

Point singularity Projectors are the terran anti-capital ship weapons. The difference in them will be apparent if you look at the firing and damage per second between a PSP and a PPC. The PSP crams all the damage into a single projectile where as the PPC fires more rapidly. The capital ships weapons( ion cannons, photon pulse cannons, incendiary bomb launchers), but not the guass cannons, can over charge a shot. If you hold down the trigger the shot will charge for several seconds and then fire for greatly increased damage. This charge effect is particularly noticeable on a PSP due to the high damage per shot.
Duke's Buccaneers... I hate you so much... I am sooo demolishing your HQ when our business is finished....

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Thu, 3. Jun 10, 01:44

GrastDK wrote:how about the PALC - phased array laser cannon? any info about that?
Kinda mix of beam weapon (insta hit, no ammo) with mass driver (bypass shields, hit armor). Only mountable on Split Tiger and Panther. In vanilla you can only obtain them in Final Fury plot. If you have "The Marauder script" you can buy PALC forge. If you can produce them, then they are must have for Split M7. They nail i mean NAIL fighters very good. If you give them some time (or biggger number of ships with them) they can nail even a M2 easily coz they bypass shields and kill hull.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 3. Jun 10, 01:56

Please don't dredge up old threads.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”