Recommended control scheme for X-BTF and X-Tension?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

JDR13

Recommended control scheme for X-BTF and X-Tension?

Post by JDR13 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 10:14

Well I finally got my hands on a copy of X-Gold, but I'm having a bit of difficulty getting used to the controls. I'm accustomed to using keyboard and mouse in all my games. That seems to be impossible with X-Gold due to the fact that steering with the mouse is incredibly sluggish, and doesn't appear to be adjustable.

So should I learn to play this game with keyboard only, or should I purchase a joystick?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 11:28

Personally I played both X-BTF and X-T with keyboard only. They were actually slightly better tuned for keyboard control than any of the subsequent games, IMO at least, and eminently playable if you got the number of rudder optimisations right on each ship. Certainly no reason to go out and buy a joystick if you prefer the keyboard.

JDR13

Post by JDR13 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 11:48

Well I've actually spent the last few hours playing with a Logitech dual-action game pad believe it or not. It's actually not that bad, I might stick with it.

Stupid question - how the hell do you save your game in X-BTF? I see no option to do so.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 11:52

You need Salvage Insurance to save at all in X-BTF, and even then you can only save while docked at a station.

JDR13

Post by JDR13 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 14:48

Ah....thank you. Sorry for the newb questions.

Here's another one. When I scan a space station, it tells me what kind of products are there, but not how much they cost, even if it's a station I've already docked at. Is there a way to see that information without docking?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 15:25

You need a Trading System Extension.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 18:40

CBJ wrote:You need Salvage Insurance to save at all in X-BTF, and even then you can only save while docked at a station.
Technically, you buy the salvage insurance at each station when you save. You can't actually purchase some and carry it with you. That didn't start until X-Tension, as I remember, when they changed it to the current system.

And a joystick is by far the best, and most immersive, way to play an X game, IMO. If you don't have a phobia against them, as some claim to, then I'd highly recommend getting a good one. You won't be sorry. :)
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

JDR13

Post by JDR13 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 22:59

Thanks, I think I definitely want to at least try a joystick. What do you think of the Saitek ST290 Pro?

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 23:17

I personally have no experience with that joystick. I've pretty much exclusively used CH Products gear since the 90's. There are a lot of Saitek users on here, though, so I'm sure someone can help you.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

JDR13

Post by JDR13 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 23:31

Thank you, I will look into those as well.

My only problem now is figuring out where to place a joystick to get maximum use\comfort from it. I don't really have room on my keyboard-mouse platform, and even if I did, it would be uncomfortably high due to the size of most flightsticks. I guess I'll have to try just holding it in my lap, although that might seem awkward as well.

gamer993
xr

Post by gamer993 » Sat, 17. Jan 09, 00:58

JDR13 wrote:Thanks, I think I definitely want to at least try a joystick. What do you think of the Saitek ST290 Pro?
It is a good joystick for the money. I have one. It could use a few more buttons though. Other than that it is a really good joystick.
A person is smart, people are dumb, stupid panicky animals, and you know it.

X2 and TC the best of the X games!
My X2 M6 Uses guide

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 17. Jan 09, 07:53

JDR13 wrote:Thank you, I will look into those as well.

My only problem now is figuring out where to place a joystick to get maximum use\comfort from it. I don't really have room on my keyboard-mouse platform, and even if I did, it would be uncomfortably high due to the size of most flightsticks. I guess I'll have to try just holding it in my lap, although that might seem awkward as well.
I just move my joystick to where the mouse is and shuffle the mouse out of the way--there's no mouse control to speak of in XBTF so you won't be using it!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”