PBE range is further than the computer thinks.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

kreep69
x3tc

PBE range is further than the computer thinks.

Post by kreep69 » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 02:59

Was playing around with PBE's yesterday and noticed that their range is more than the 1km the targeting computer thinks it is.

I did some tests and it seems you can hit things up until about 1.34km. Anything over that is unreliable. 1.25km is a good distance that lands most of the shots on your target.

Anyway, something to keep in mind if your being chased by someone with a PBG and you have a PBE equipped rear turret or are fighting in general (chasing m5's or charging m4/m3's comes to mine) where this would give you an edge. :)

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 03:33

I think thats generally the case for any weapon as a persuing or closing ship will be advancing on the position where you fired from at the time. So considering the speed of the weapon and rate/relative vector of the target ship effectively changes the range.

kreep69
x3tc

Post by kreep69 » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 04:14

Its not that, the range truly is longer than the targeting computer thinks it is. To measure I took a PBE equipped Xenon LX and Springblossom out and measured the distance (and hit success) of the PBE's standing completely still.

Another example chasing a fast M5 while its running away from you. You can still hit him with the PBE's even after the crosshair goes to an X at about 1km. Give it a try, that extra 250 meters can make a difference.

Allan F
x3ap

Post by Allan F » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 04:44

The distance between the ships are measured between the center of the ships - the shooting distance is measured from the guns to the target point. So depending on the ships you use, these distances will be different.
Maverick: Requesting permission for flyby.
Air Boss Johnson: That's a negative ghostrider, the pattern is full.
Goose: No. No, Mav, this is not a good idea.
Maverick: Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz a Split.
Split: Split now give you .... Aaaarrriiiigh.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 04:59

Also, I think the lifetime of weapon projectiles is randomized to a degree, so there may be some rounds that travel farther than average.
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”