[TC] Just starting out again, Advanced Satellites?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Deathwish
x3

Just starting out again, Advanced Satellites?

Post by Deathwish » Sat, 24. Jan 09, 11:09

I've just started to play the new game, and wanted to know if the Advanced Satellite automatically locates & Identifies all the objects in the Sector?

I've just placed one in Ore Belt, and there used to be a Pirate base there, but the Satellite is not showing anything in the sector map, any clues please?

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Sat, 24. Jan 09, 11:12

They are limited to their gravidar scanner ranges.

It's likley some local force removed the pirate base. As a result a certain time later a new one may pop up somewhere else either in the same sector or elsewhere. You may wish to re-scout or place more Satalites to have peace of mind.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 24. Jan 09, 14:22

No it won't locate anything, it just acts like a ship but with a slighty longer sensor range (40km instead of 30km).
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Seathal
x4

Post by Seathal » Sat, 24. Jan 09, 17:22

NeverSnake wrote:No it won't locate anything, it just acts like a ship but with a slighty longer sensor range (40km instead of 30km).
And way cheaper than having a ship there just for scan range.

Also they attract less attention than anyother ship, so they'll probably not blow it up unless there's not any other target to go against first.

And Deathwish, if you're playing X3TC keep in mind that Pirate Bases in Terran Conflict are located in totally random spots (for example, I have one in Company Pride, Heretic's End and a few more places, whilst in my previous saves I had one in ELyisum of Light and Two Grand). If you destroy a Pirate Station another will respawn after a while in a random sector.

Deathwish
x3

Post by Deathwish » Sat, 24. Jan 09, 18:33

thanks people, so the best way to map a sector now is to set a ship on map sector, and a setting from centre of about 100km's ? - or build stations on the borders?

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 25. Jan 09, 03:07

Deathwish wrote:thanks people, so the best way to map a sector now is to set a ship on map sector, and a setting from centre of about 100km's ? - or build stations on the borders?
Stations only have a 10km scanner range, so you'd need an awful lot of them to map a sector.

using the map sector command is a good way to get a general idea of what's in a sector but if you want completely bang up to date information on new factories added and old ones removed then your only option is to blanket the sector in advanced satellites (or ships with Triplex scanners if you want something tougher.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”