[IDEA] Bigger gates for massive ships

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

Krewzur
x4

[IDEA] Bigger gates for massive ships

Post by Krewzur » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 20:32

Is it possible to increase the size of jumpgates so you can fit a ship the size of the valhalla or bigger through, or even a mine being towed??

Is it also possible to change the location on the gate where the ships appear. If so would it be possible to edit a gate to allow multiple capital ships to jump in at once while in sector???
Corsair 400c // Intel i7 8700k // H100i v2 // ASUS Maximus X Code // ASUS 1080ti Strix OC // 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz // Samsung 960 Evo 250GB // 960GB SanDisk Ultra II // Corsair RM850i

Sir Squallus
x4

Post by Sir Squallus » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 20:41

yer there is an mod in the german forum
ill add you a link if i find it

fud
x3

Post by fud » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 21:05

I did this quite a while ago (for my own useage).

I made gates 25% bigger than normal.

Oddly enough, ships still crash into them... :roll:

Makita
x4

Re: [IDEA] Bigger gates for massive ships

Post by Makita » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 21:10

amurph0 wrote:Is it possible to increase the size of jumpgates so you can fit a ship the size of the valhalla or bigger through, or even a mine being towed??

Is it also possible to change the location on the gate where the ships appear. If so would it be possible to edit a gate to allow multiple capital ships to jump in at once while in sector???

I would also want use of it for the same reasons

Saetan
x4

Post by Saetan » Wed, 28. Jan 09, 21:32

Sir Squallus wrote:yer there is an mod in the german forum
ill add you a link if i find it
I found it, but it just links to another site to download.

Here you find the download: http://www.katashi-network.de/infusions ... .php?did=3
And there is the description: http://www.katashi.de/forum/viewthread.php?thread_id=4

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 00:25

just tested the gate with the Valhala and so far so good

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 00:51

So this mod makes all the gates bigger, or it just makes orb-accelerator, and gates which in argon sector bigger? I'm a little confused by that description.

Krewzur
x4

Post by Krewzur » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 00:55

Spectre01 wrote:So this mod makes all the gates bigger, or it just makes orb-accelerator, and gates which in argon sector bigger? I'm a little confused by that description.
description?? this isn't my mod at all, i didn't even post a mod, in the thread name you can see "idea" not "mod". But one of the other lads have posted a link to a mod like what i described, and it looks like it does change all the different types of gates.
Corsair 400c // Intel i7 8700k // H100i v2 // ASUS Maximus X Code // ASUS 1080ti Strix OC // 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHz // Samsung 960 Evo 250GB // 960GB SanDisk Ultra II // Corsair RM850i

Sir Squallus
x4

Post by Sir Squallus » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 01:27

the mod whitch link is posted makes ther gates 300 prozent (3 times )
bigger so EVERY ship in the X univers must fit on is cause EVERY gare terran and usual gates are bigger

TERRAN-CONFLICTOR

Post by TERRAN-CONFLICTOR » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 01:39

Do we know what files are edited as i'm in work at the mo and have no access to TC?

EDIT* Further investigation has uncovered this.

GatesTC\XX.cat::objects\others\argon_gate.pbd
GatesTC\XX.cat::objects\others\argon_gate_effect.pbd
GatesTC\XX.cat::objects\others\argon_gate_destroyed.bod
GatesTC\XX.cat::objects\others\terran_catapult_gate.bob
GatesTC\XX.cat::objects\others\terraformer_gate.bob

So the actual models have been increased.
Last edited by TERRAN-CONFLICTOR on Thu, 29. Jan 09, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 01:41

amurph0 wrote: description?? this isn't my mod at all, i didn't even post a mod, in the thread name you can see "idea" not "mod". But one of the other lads have posted a link to a mod like what i described, and it looks like it does change all the different types of gates.
I was referring to Saetan's link, and was asking Makita. Because in that mod's description, it says "I have resized the Argon,Terran and Terraformer Gates..."

Anyway, I'm gonna try it out myself.

apricotslice
x4

Post by apricotslice » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 02:43

As well as making the gate bigger, you would need to change the collision detection footprint. No idea how they do that.

Makita
x4

Post by Makita » Thu, 29. Jan 09, 04:56

Makita wrote:just tested the gate with the Valhala and so far so good

BAD description of your testing :) I tested it on many gates from different races and a few T-O A's with no problem, the Valhala goes threw all of them so far, they are bigger that's for sure but it seems to cause lag in the Earth sector

Hieronymos
x3

Post by Hieronymos » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 02:24

Reducing collisions at or with gates won't be solved just by excellent ideas, like modding 300% larger gates.

Reworking bigship gate approach vectoring/pathing is needed. And/or someother tactic, like having all ships enter on the rim (as smaller ships already do), but exit in different zones in the center [bigships dead center, smaller ships 400m from center] to avoid pileup collissions at destination.

As Apricotslice said, the collision detection footprint would also have to be extended in a wider area around the gate rim (of an expanded gate).

Reducing or eliminating civilians is also a very good idea.

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 04:13

One time I was in my adv. disco, going through a TOA. I usually follow AI`s patch to approach gate (ie. going in from the lower part of the gate). Just as I about to be shoot away, a GAINT terran ice mining ship (but turely it`s a tokeyo) comes out. about 5 M6 length away from me...

Now I know why AI doing that when they go through a gate... :lol:

Vulkanus

Post by Vulkanus » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 22:55

Double style gates would work: One gate below for entries, another gate above it for exits, though this is probably hard coded into the game.

WildAce
x4

Post by WildAce » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 23:11

while were on the subject of Gates, i think alot of the collisions with the gates themselves are related to the 4 Arms that stick out from the ring part of the gate, i cant count how many times ive jumped into a sectoed auto piloted to a station and the auto pilot would turn and head strait into one of those arms.

so could someone modify the Model for the Gates and remove those arms would reduce the AI running into them needlessly

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 23:41

That mod is kind buggy. When a big ship is near Terran's TOA, it lags baddly. I know this is the source of the problem because as soon as I remove that ship from the gate (cheat package), framerate is back to normal.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 3. Feb 09, 00:21

Vulkanus wrote:Double style gates would work: One gate below for entries, another gate above it for exits, though this is probably hard coded into the game.

Ideally, one-way gates would rock. But, as you said, I'd imagine a bunch of re-coding would be involved, within the game engine.

Rheinlander
x4

Post by Rheinlander » Tue, 3. Feb 09, 02:26

I have a suggestion.

Perhaps rather than increasing the size of existing gates, how difficult would it be to add in capital ship Gates, a kilometre or so away from the existing, regular traffic Gates?

It would make sense from a logistical standpoint. When you have a multi-million ton giant of heavily shielded metal inexorably cruising through a Gate, you don't want to be using the same narrow bottleneck that dozens of smaller vessels are using simply because there's no way to know what's on the other side and how many other ships are either on final approach or have just emerged themselves. Instead, you would want to lumber your enormous vessel through a dedicated, low-traffic Gate intended solely for the use of capital ships.

Granted, I'm not sure how much sense it would make canonically, but from a standpoint grounded in common sense and utility, it seems to me to be a more sensible solution.

It would likely involve modifying the basic AI of all capital-sized ships intended to use it, which I would suggest be all M1, M2, and M7 class vessels, while the M6 class are small and maneuverable enough that it's easy enough to quickly react to a potential collision using your strafe drive.

Bear with me here, as I'm on a roll with this train of thought.

Potentially, rather than just having this entirely new sub-network of large capship Gates just appear out of nowhere, perhaps make a questline out of it, maybe even a branching sideplot of the Hub, and add in Gate Component Plants that require such esoteric wares as Quantum Tubes, Ore, Silicon, Crystals, Nividium and Microchips to create Jumpgate Parts.

These Jumpgate Parts would be required by yet another facility, a Jumpgate Fabrication Facility, requiring X amount of Jumpgate Parts, Energy Cells and glazed mcguffins to create a pair of ST-sized Jumpgate Assemblies, which is then taken by TL to the final location and deployed as other stations are. The TL would then travel the normal way to the adjacent system and deploy the linked Gate.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”