[X3TC] Tornado or Typhoon

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Chealec
x3tc

[X3TC] Tornado or Typhoon

Post by Chealec » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:31

Oki, in a ship which can mount both - which missile do you go for:

Tornado (Swarm) Missile
Damage: 50k
Range: 25km (give or take)
Speed: 312km/s
Cooldown: 2s

Typhoon (Swarm) Missile
Damage: 30k
Range: 75km (give or take)
Speed: 195km/s
Cooldown: 2s

Oki - the Tornado is faster and does more damage, but only has 1/3 the range of the Typhoon.

The Typhoon is also a "smart" missile - if any of the swarm remains after it's destroyed its target it'll target another hostile in range and go for that as well... I don't _think_ the tornado does that.

Additionally, I'm not quite sure how many missiles there are in each swarm... if there are more in the Typhoon swarm it has the potential to do more damage.

The question is, which is better or is there so little in it for it to be almost irrelevant? Or is the Tornado better against fighters and the Typhoon better against Corvettes and upwards?
[ external image ]

... old skool

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:34

Typhoon Missile!

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:37

Tornado is dumbfire, so I think it doesnt track its target, its a straight fire in a line swarm thing (even if it has proximity and is fast). At least that was my decision for not using it as a missile of choice.

Though thinking how it might fare against larger cap ships that are slow moving it might work well?

Mental_Atom
x3tc

Post by Mental_Atom » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:41

From those stats i would choose the tornado. Firing at closer range makes them less likely to get blown up and i prefer close range. It does kinda depend what your preffered combat style is though.

ivak
x3tc

Post by ivak » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:47

Typhoon, definitely. You can sink almost everything with it from the other corner of the sector. Buy yourself a Hydra and a couple of typhoon factories and you'll never need a missile frigate (except for boarding).
Your ship Your Python was destroyed in sector Split Fire by Spacefly.

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:51

ivak wrote:Typhoon, definitely. You can sink almost everything with it from the other corner of the sector. Buy yourself a Hydra and a couple of typhoon factories and you'll never need a missile frigate (except for boarding).
I'm so glad you said that ivak, I built a 5 factory complex for Typhoons, funnily I havent had too much of an itchy trigger to use them much so far. Ridicolous really, you'd think "try before you buy"?

NUKLEAR-SLUG
x3tc

Post by NUKLEAR-SLUG » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 22:59

Typhoon for fire-and-forget on moving targets, Tornado for strafing runs on large targets.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Sun, 1. Feb 09, 23:16

Cool, that settles it then, 100 of each :)

Maybe a few Firestorms as well for good measure - one thing the Hyperion has in abundance is cargo space.

I'll stick with Typhoons and Tempests on the rest of my M6s (apart from the Terran ones for obvious reasons) for fire and forget and surgical strike roles.

I've just completed a new missile complex specifically for corvettes and frigates... although I think I got carried away and chucked 5 Thunderbolt factories in there as well. Oh well, at least the Nova Raiders on my Carrier will be well stocked.
[ external image ]

... old skool

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 00:15

According to the spreadsheet I'm looking at the Typhoon does require a hostile target before you can fire it.

The Typhoon takes up 3 cargo space while the Tornado takes up 8 so although it only does 3/5 the damage you can have almost three times as many.

EDIT: Although, the damage is per missile in the swarm and I don't know how many each split up into.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 00:44

I'll take my Hyperion (Harsh Justice) out for a spin tomorrow and find out.

I've just loaded it up with 100 Typhoons, 100 Tornadoes and 30 Firestorm Torpedoes... should be able to do some damage with that.

As an aside - I just completed a patrol mission in my Brigantine (The Black Pearl - yes, not very inventive I know but it _is_ a pirate ship); it was against the Kha'ak. Now whilst a Brigantine is awesome against M1s and M2s because it actually turns a bit (well, for an M2 anyway) I was getting bored trying to keep the fighters, interceptors and scouts in range... particularly the scouts as they can outrun Typhoon missiles.

So I decided to load it up with 500 wasps to compliment the 100 Typhoons I keep on board - should be interesting next time I get a patrol mission :)
[ external image ]

... old skool

dminor
x3tc

Post by dminor » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 02:26

i'd throw a bunch of Dragonfly's in there too.( since they are no longer DF )
" I'm a Sexy Shoeless GOD of WAR " Belkar

JoeVN09
x4

Post by JoeVN09 » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 02:49

Kinda while we're on topic -- would you guys invest in a Wasp factory or a Typhoon Factory?
~ Experienced X3 veteran. Dangerously incompetent X4 novice. ~

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 04:09

Both.

Wasps are great for smaller fast ships and are a good attention seeker when spammed against larger targets even if they won't finish them off.

Necrosexual

Post by Necrosexual » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 10:06

tornado=400k total dmg. typhoon=240k total dmg.

both are very good missiles.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Mon, 2. Feb 09, 20:33

JoeVN09 wrote:Kinda while we're on topic -- would you guys invest in a Wasp factory or a Typhoon Factory?
A single Wasp factory can hold 416 missiles and they only take 1:12 to build - whereas a Typhoon factory holds 32 missiles and takes 10 minutes to build each one.

If you're anything like me, you'll probably want about 10 Typhoon factories to one Wasp :)

I tend to leave Dolphin SFs docked at the complexes as additional storage as well... sometimes, if I've built an equipment dock nearby I'll leave a docked Mammoth there for even more storage space.
[ external image ]

... old skool

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”