[TC] Ion Shard Railguns work as advertised

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

plawolf
x3tc

Ion Shard Railguns work as advertised

Post by plawolf » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 18:03

I recently capped a ship with a load of ISRs in the hold, so decided to try them out. I noticed that with 8 ISRs firing on a target, I tend to get next to no return fire. So ISRs really do disrupt a target's weapons systems.1

This is only really noticeable on M6s as anything smaller dies before you notice.

Have not tried it on anything bigger yet, but I have a feeling you may need more then 8 ISR to have a noticeable difference. Just a million hours of gameplay left before I complete the hub mission and can get a PHQ to clone that single P I capped so I can spam ISR at capitals. :roll:
Orange wing misfit Meep Meep

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 18:21

I doubt you'll find it'll work so well on capitals--the energy drain of the ISR on the target ship is not that high, whereas its drain on your OWN generator is massive! M2s and M1s have much greater laser generators than M6s do...

pelador
x3tc

Post by pelador » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 18:37

pjknibbs wrote:I doubt you'll find it'll work so well on capitals--the energy drain of the ISR on the target ship is not that high, whereas its drain on your OWN generator is massive! M2s and M1s have much greater laser generators than M6s do...
QFT, you'll come off the worst if you rely on them for the "big guns".

NeverSnake
x3tc

Re: Ion Shard Railguns work as advertised

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 19:36

plawolf wrote:This is only really noticeable on M6s as anything smaller dies before you notice.
Unfortunately the only thing that can sensibly power 8 ISRs is an M7 and they can happily swat M6s like flies anyway.
Last edited by NeverSnake on Sat, 7. Feb 09, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 20:06

I like ISR a lot simply because that is the most accurate laser in it's range class.
Pretty hower hungry but not as much as Flak.
Using it just for the special effect is just not cost effective, so to speak. =)

It's a toss up between that and EBC until energy becomes a primary consideration.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 7. Feb 09, 22:07

Best weapon around imho but Paul has a point, this baby sucks a lot of energy.

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Sun, 8. Feb 09, 21:01

I find ISRs to be far better against M6s then IBLs. The rounds are far faster, the turrets can track faster = higher hit rate, and once you have an M6 bracketed, there is almost no return fire until the thing is dead. It is also far more effective against fighters.

ISRs are the default weapons for my tiger, and I only switch to IBLs when going against other capitals.

Against capital ships, IRS would not work very well unless you have a swarm of Ps spraying ISR rounds at the target, that was the point I was trying to make.

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Sun, 8. Feb 09, 23:18

Sadly as my universe has a dead economy courtesy of all my traders being stuck on stanby so no ISR's are being made.

no problem i though, il just set-up a factory!

its about 11 hours just to make one.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

plawolf
x3tc

Post by plawolf » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 01:28

Try capping, most NPC ships in my game seem to carry them. If you are desperate, you can always clone them at EQ docks.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 02:41

dalin80 wrote:its about 11 hours just to make one.
Actually I seem to remember from a discussion on here a while ago that ISRs are made in batches of 5 and the batch takes 11 hours.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 04:17

You don't even need to cap. If you have a ship which can take out Q's no problem, they quite regularly drop them I find. As well as PPC's. I almost have enough PPC's to equip every capital ship I've boarded (why buy what you can steal? :roll: ). And plenty of other weapons too.

dalin80
x3tc

Post by dalin80 » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 08:58

NeverSnake wrote:
Actually I seem to remember from a discussion on here a while ago that ISRs are made in batches of 5 and the batch takes 11 hours.
I hope so, but i could have sworn it said one, playing while tired is never a good thing.
Pilot of the Purple Elephant

Turbo12
x3tc

Post by Turbo12 » Mon, 22. Jul 13, 08:20

dalin80 wrote:
NeverSnake wrote:
I hope so, but i could have sworn it said one, playing while tired is never a good thing.
Yep. It makes a batch of 5 ISRs every 11:14 hs

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 22. Jul 13, 13:11

Please don't resurrect old threads.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”