[TC] The REAL maximum range of PSP's.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Lord of Nothing
x3tc

The REAL maximum range of PSP's.

Post by Lord of Nothing » Sun, 8. Feb 09, 21:07

8.3km.
This is because:
The computer calculates it like this:
"If both ships suddenly stopped dead right now, would the weapon hit?"

However, with an over charged PSP, and an Osaka at 54 m/s, and say... a K at 51m/s, factoring in the time for full overcharge, it's actually a fair bit further than the computer would like you to believe. (And if the enemy is closing ever faster, it's further still.)

A slight disadvantage is that auto-aim will not function if it does not believe that the target is in range- see above, but that's not to much of a problem if you're aiming at a hulking great capital ship.

I realise this is a factor in all weapons, but with the overcharge, plus the advantage gained by firing that bit earlier, I just felt it was worth posting.
Skirnir. No counter-argument possible.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 8. Feb 09, 21:28

Why are you still closing at 50+ m/s when you're within 8km of another capital ship? Far too much risk that you'll get close enough for him to return fire. Hit max reverse as soon as you get close and you can probably take him down without losing any shields at all!

Lord of Nothing
x3tc

Post by Lord of Nothing » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 08:04

I do, but the forward motion adds to the magnitude of the difference that i'm pointing out.
Skirnir. No counter-argument possible.

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 08:45

And the Springblossom's M/AM launchers have a range of 11,7km against a pirate Kestrel if both are flying head-on at max speed.

/useless information :P

perpiotrredman
x3tc

Post by perpiotrredman » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 09:09

Wait, are you right now measuring the distance between the ships when the weapon is fired rather than between the point of fire and the point of impact?

If the vehicle you aim at is moving toward the object approaching it (the laser burst) it will be closer to the point of fire when it is hit by the shot than it was when the shot was fired.

What interests me is whether the forward velocity of the ship that fired will add to the velocity of the projectile. I.e. does a "laser blast" from a stationary ship move slower than shots from a ship in motion? I know missiles aren't affected (which is strange, when you think about it).
/ Per
(Core i7 920 2.67GHz, 6GB 3chan DDR3 1066MHz, HD4870 512MB, Vista Enterprise 64)

1muvwndr
xr

Post by 1muvwndr » Mon, 9. Feb 09, 09:29

Yes, the ship's speed will add to the bullet's.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”