[FAKE PATCH] 500km Comm Range Mod

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

argon_emperor
x4

[FAKE PATCH] 500km Comm Range Mod

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 14. Feb 09, 05:34

Hi all

Ever got sick of being just out of comm range of a station, looking longingly at the missions symbol above it, and just as you get in range and hit the comm button, it goes away?

Now you don't have to worry about that anymore, with improvements in sub-space communication, you can talk in real time to anyone, or anything for that matter (if it deigns to respond), within 500km of your ship. No more bothersome 25km range, now you have true freedom to talk.

Download available at:

500km Comm Range v2.1

Courtesy of RapidShare

500km Comm Range AP Compatible

Courtesy of MediaFire

Installation:

Extract files into your X3:TC directory for the first one, or to the addon directory for the AP one, then rename both the .cat and .dat files to the next highest number in the directory.

i.e. Your files go up to 11.cat/.dat, rename these two to 12.cat/.dat

Note: You do NOT need to start a new game for this to take effect, it will happily work with any existing game.

Further note: If you have changed anything in the Globals.txt file (which is what this changes) either through a fake patch or otherwise, this will overwrite those changes, as only the comm range has been changed.

Tested with TC 2.7, no issues found.[/url]
Last edited by argon_emperor on Sat, 7. Jan 12, 21:39, edited 5 times in total.

diddltoutmimi
x4

Post by diddltoutmimi » Sat, 14. Feb 09, 09:33

Thank you very much for this !

:)

Arraamis
x3tc

Post by Arraamis » Sat, 14. Feb 09, 17:55

Nice idea ..... Thanks.

-Villain-
x2

Post by -Villain- » Mon, 16. Feb 09, 04:22

excellant! Just a question though from a guy who knows nothing about scripting....can this be made into a .SPK format?

tatakau
x3tc

Post by tatakau » Mon, 16. Feb 09, 04:47

deleted
Last edited by tatakau on Wed, 12. Jun 19, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.

Arraamis
x3tc

Post by Arraamis » Mon, 16. Feb 09, 04:52

-Villain- wrote:excellant! Just a question though from a guy who knows nothing about scripting....can this be made into a .SPK format?
This is only a modification of the variable included in the Globals file.

What I've done is create a custom patch {i.e. arraamis.cat\.dat} in which I merge all the items {500km comm range mod & others} along with the newly created ships I've added into the game. That way I'm not adding another patch to the default X3 directory every time something new comes out.

Of course this only applies to items that don't require the mod manager.

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 16. Feb 09, 04:54

-Villain- wrote:excellant! Just a question though from a guy who knows nothing about scripting....can this be made into a .SPK format?
No sorry, it specifically changes the Globals.txt file, which (to my knowledge) can't be done with scripts. So a fake patch is the only way it can be done. Or you could do it with the mod path, add both files to your 'mods' folder in the X3:TC directory, then at startup activate the mod. But in either case, it can't be done with a .spk file.

-Villain-
x2

Post by -Villain- » Mon, 16. Feb 09, 05:22

argon_emperor wrote:
-Villain- wrote:it can't be done with a .spk file.
My brain bled a little until i read this. Coolness, thanks.

ThomasAH
x4

Post by ThomasAH » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:04

I installed this yesterday with X3-TC 2.0a and it seems to work fine.
Many thanks for this!

The download library has marked it as "Released before X3TC 2.0, so may not be compatible". As I wrote, the 500km comm range works fine, but are there other values included in the cat/dat files that could be reset to their pre-2.0 values?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:11

argon_emperor wrote:
No sorry, it specifically changes the Globals.txt file, which (to my knowledge) can't be done with scripts. So a fake patch is the only way it can be done. Or you could do it with the mod path, add both files to your 'mods' folder in the X3:TC directory, then at startup activate the mod. But in either case, it can't be done with a .spk file.
thats not actually true, spk files can handle mods perfectly fine, infact, it can auto rename fake patchs that are added in spk files to fit correctly into the game dir.

ie, say you have 2 fake patchs, installing them manually, they will most likly both be the same number, and you will have to rename them. But if both were in spk files, the plugin manager would rename and adjust them automatically to work

spk files are not just for scripts, they can handle everything

Jashashunter
x4

Post by Jashashunter » Wed, 13. May 09, 16:34

Cycrow is the man. I am surprise so many modders dont use the .spk format. There seems to be some confusion about what it does. I think this is at least the 10th thread I read recently where Cycrow had to correct some one on the usage of the plugin manager. :(

Anyway sorry for going off topic. I just wish everyone used the plugin manager.

Spikend
x3tc

Post by Spikend » Sat, 20. Jun 09, 16:09

I tested it with the 2.1 version (on Windows 7 x64-bit), and it works perfectly :)

Schabernack

Post by Schabernack » Mon, 10. Aug 09, 15:56

thx for this mod :)

would it be possible to extend it further so communication with stations in other sectors where an advanced satelite is?
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future
tc-ap minimax

Fragile Ego

Post by Fragile Ego » Sun, 16. Aug 09, 18:41

Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! This is the kind of mod I will never be able to live without now that I've used it!

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Sun, 14. Mar 10, 13:09

Thanks, I always thought it was silly that the super advance space ships that we all fly only have a com range of 25km.

Locksley
x3tc

Post by Locksley » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 13:19

FYI payment of missions is not received if you are out of "normal" comm range.

At least that is what I remember from checking out a bug that I didn't get paid for scanning asteroids; it was a long time ago - prob v1.5 of the game or some such.

Cheers!
Projects:
Onhold..... time time....

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Mon, 12. Apr 10, 13:30

Locksley wrote:FYI payment of missions is not received if you are out of "normal" comm range.

At least that is what I remember from checking out a bug that I didn't get paid for scanning asteroids; it was a long time ago - prob v1.5 of the game or some such.

Cheers!
Can't say I've ever had any problem like that... and I've been using this for *ages*, so not sure if that was just a specific bug to your game or whatnot. There shouldn't be any problem with payment...
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 01:48

Updated to work with 2.7 now. Check OP for download link.

(Globals was changed in 2.6... forgot to update this till now :oops: )
[ external image ]
***modified***
"You can get more of what you want with kind words and a gun, than you can with just kind words" - Al Capone

Yacek
x3tc

Post by Yacek » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 12:37

Somehow I have not noticed problems with patch 2.6 and 2.7.
A new version of the mod, not working, lack of communication (c).
X3:AP 3.1+XRM 1.30d+MSP 1.7+LoCo 2.01+IR 2.0
Zapraszamy wszystkich chętnych na forum XUDB, gdzie znajdziesz FAQ, opisy skryptów, modów i fabuł, oraz Mamut HQ.
[ external image ]

argon_emperor
x4

Post by argon_emperor » Sat, 5. Jun 10, 15:05

Yacek wrote:Somehow I have not noticed problems with patch 2.6 and 2.7.
A new version of the mod, not working, lack of communication (c).
There should have been problems as patch 2.6 added in several more global variables at the end of the file... so while you *could* have used the old one, certain variables which were added and I'd assume used somewhere were no longer in existence.

Reason why there would have been problems is that I realized I changed the original Globals and readded it to the archive, rather than changing the newer one... fixed shortly, once Filefront uploads the new version which uses the correct version of Globals file.

Thanks for spotting that.
[ external image ]
***modified***

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”