[TC] Docking at earth torus...

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Gaharay

Docking at earth torus...

Post by Gaharay » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 11:55

Right, so i completed the terran plot, and im in my hauler (my smaller/faster ships wouldnt accept the dudes to come in, even though i had cargo life support thingy...) trying to do at earth torus...

So i fire up the AP and it goes AWOL. getting warning that ill get my butt shot if i continue to fly on.

trying to dock manually ended up in even more frustration... i fly towards the green thingy, between the lights, and nothing happends... i can just fly on...

How am i supposed to dock at this thing!?

(im in a mercury btw, which shouldnt matter that much ofc...)

i made a screeny as well: http://i44.tinypic.com/91dt11.jpg
the left arrow is where the icon is at, and where the manual docking thingy is pointing me to go.
the other arrow kinda looks like a docking port found on most argon stations. (the 3 docks in-a-row thingy inside of the station) tried docking there as well with tapping the Autopilot, but nothing happends...

thanks in advance for any help...

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 12:07

You defenitely have to fly manually. Autopillow gets messy in Earth sector.

As for docking, it should work well. Are you sure you are approaching the green circle at the end of the path of litle lights? I can't see them in the picture.

Anyways, you can instadock safely with the docking computer. Have you tried it yet?

Gaharay

Post by Gaharay » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 12:15

tried making screenshots of me docking, was almost hugging the green circle thingy and it docked me :S

only been trying for an hour...

i should get my hands on a docking computer... the things make docking even more easy right?

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 12:21

Gaharay wrote:tried making screenshots of me docking, was almost hugging the green circle thingy and it docked me :S

only been trying for an hour...

i should get my hands on a docking computer... the things make docking even more easy right?
Happened to me too. ;) I think the intention is to encourage you not to use autopilot. Looks like most of the main plot missions are trying you to teach something to new players. That's why all of them are fairly easy I guess.

About the docking computer... I have one, but I didn't see any advantages yet. Maybe I am missing something. It is supposed to make docking easier, but I can't see the difference with or without one. ;)

Edit: Grammar.
Last edited by MadGizmo on Thu, 19. Feb 09, 13:33, edited 1 time in total.

Kapakio
x4

Post by Kapakio » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 13:28

If you press Shift D when you are closer than around 5Km form the station you instanteniously dock

supakillaii
xr

Post by supakillaii » Thu, 19. Feb 09, 17:02

It's 4k and yah, Auto-Pillok hates Aldrin and Earth :(

Wildride
x3tc

Post by Wildride » Mon, 2. Mar 09, 14:23

Actually for the distance from station its dependant on the station size, for example a SPP-M is around 4km, the one at earth I got it at about 20km.

Ezuku
x2

Post by Ezuku » Mon, 2. Mar 09, 17:51

I think it's not dependant on station size, but instead based on the distance from the docking clamps, which isn't necessarily the distance to the station (I think that's the distance to the centre of the station).

GW!

Post by GW! » Mon, 2. Mar 09, 19:05

I had the same problem (was actually gonna start a topic about it :p)

I got myself a docking computer somewhere at "the moon", then flew manually to one of the docking hatches and pressed SHIFT+D and i instadocked

getting out of the earth sector proved to be just as hard tough (better have some energy cells)

Wildride
x3tc

Post by Wildride » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 00:52

just undock and fly manually through the gate, although if flying a large ship I could see it as being a problem, I wouldnt know Ive stuck with m3 as my max size because I want to dock everywhere.

THough as people are using m6's for trading Im wondering if m6's can now dock everywhere aswell?

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 02:11

Wildride wrote:Though as people are using m6's for trading Im wondering if m6's can now dock everywhere aswell?
Yeah, M6s can dock everywhere in X3R and X3TC.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

BigVern
x3tc

Post by BigVern » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 02:51

Re the Torus, I think once you are close enough the AP will take you straight in, even without a docking computer fitted. Undocking, just do a 90 degree turn then head straight for the gate, or jumpdrive out of there.

IMHO the Earth sector is a bit wasted, should have been the crowning prize of the game. The Torus is quite useful to remote equip ships with JD's etc to avoid the long trek to Terracorp but now I've finished the Terran campaign I don't tend to venture much further than Asteroid Belt.

As I said, a bit of a waste.
Three Time Beagle Point Veteran

Wildride
x3tc

Post by Wildride » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 17:31

Thanks Neversnake, I was assuming that they had the same limits as in X2, does make sense though as they arent bigger than a freighter.. Im going to start using them more now :D

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 21:56

Wildride wrote:Thanks Neversnake, I was assuming that they had the same limits as in X2, does make sense though as they arent bigger than a freighter.. Im going to start using them more now :D
Well the X2 M6s are equivalent to an M7, the new M6s are more super-heavy fighters.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:17

I wouldn't say that...M6s in X2 were far closer to "super-heavy fighters" than any M6 in either X3 game. The main reason you couldn't dock everywhere in an M6 in X2 was because the internal docking on stations and the minor fact they wouldn't fit through the docking ports! With the external docking clamps in X3 much larger ships can dock at stations, so M6s are now capable of doing so.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 02:12

pjknibbs wrote:I wouldn't say that...M6s in X2 were far closer to "super-heavy fighters" than any M6 in either X3 game.
A quarter to a half of the shielding and a quarter to a half the weapons of an M2 but with better maneuverability. That description fits the M6s in X2 and the M7s in TC.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 08:42

Manoeuvrability of the M6s in X2 was generally better than even M7s in X3m, though--you could actually dogfight in an Osprey or a Centaur. Dragon, not so much because of its weird firepower arrangement.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”