mobile drilling system as weapon?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

GW!

mobile drilling system as weapon?

Post by GW! » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 11:17

Is it possible to arm a freighter with the mobile drilling system and will it defend itself with it ? (being the weapon doing the most shield/hull damage Mercury super freighters can equip)

edit: actually now i'm thinking about it (and noticing the speed of the mds) wich weapon is really the best for the Mercury super freighter :d?
http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_weapons/laser- ... MTcwNTA1OQ

thx in advance!
Grtz
Last edited by GW! on Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:05, edited 1 time in total.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 11:42

I'm not sure if they work with combat commands, though I see no reason why they shouldn't.

They do make reasonable emergancy weapons though, as I found out in X².
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

GW!

Post by GW! » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:29

thx, tough i just noticed their speed (editted main post)
is that te reloading speed or the speed at wich the beam travels?

or just to make it short, wich would be the best weapon for the freighter?

seperaGG
x3tc

Post by seperaGG » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 13:05

Best weapon for freighter is JUMPDRIVE.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 14:30

Speed of the bullet. IS you will not hit anything smaller than a TL with one of them! Plus you get few shots with it.

The PAC is probably the best all round freighter weapon IMO. Fast firing, low energy drain and enough hitting power to keep M5s away and slow down M4s.

M

NeverSnake
x3tc

Re: mobile drilling system as weapon?

Post by NeverSnake » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 18:34

GW! wrote:edit: actually now i'm thinking about it (and noticing the speed of the mds) wich weapon is really the best for the Mercury super freighter :d?
http://eng.x3tc.ru/x3_tc_weapons/laser- ... MTcwNTA1OQ
That's not a very good site for comparing weapons because it only gives you the damage each shot does and not the rate of fire so you have no real idea of the damage.

Something like this spreadsheet or even the in-game encyclopedia is much better.

As it is the mobile drilling system is rubbish as a weapon, it does 118 damage shield damage per second compared to 1,400 for the IRE and 6,000 for the PAC. The PRG is the best weapon a mercury super-freighter can mount as it does slightly more damage than PACs and is slightly more efficient.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”