[IDEA]Landing on planets?!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

amtct
x3ap

[IDEA]Landing on planets?!

Post by amtct » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:35

Is it possible to make a mot which can let you to actually land on a planet(eg.Earth)?

I saw inMass Efect and I think this it will be the ultimate mod for a game like Terran Conflict.

An ideea is to use parts from Mass efect and integrating in the game(possible illegal-I don't know).

Sory for my bad English!

Cheers,Adrian.

Freeman_79
xr

Post by Freeman_79 » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:43

The idea would be quite intresting, instead of taking on mission from stations you could also take exemple a transport mission from a planet.

I remember something similar to this, I think it was X2?, not sure tho, but there was one of them you could request docking to a large transporter looking ship, you entered a docking bay and the ship took you down to the planet surface.
And when you where done the ship returned to orbit and let you out again.

Was a nice idea imo

But I wonder if this would be possible in X3TC, the planets do have some kind of atmosphere as you taking damage when you get to close.
But the planets itselfs just look like images, nothing 3d look a like ?.
Last edited by Freeman_79 on Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:47

Or to build stations on a planet surface.

Not all planets,only the important one like Earth,Argon Prime,Kingdom End...

First the atmosphere damage should be remove.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:52

You should try Battlecruiser 3000 AD or Frontier.
There you can land on planets.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 12:57

I thought this is script and modding forum for X series games.

THE_BIG_FISH:Leo
x4

Post by THE_BIG_FISH:Leo » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 13:32

people have been going on about landing on planets since the beginning of X. While it would be a wonderful thing sadly it would take far too much effort to get it to work, and that's even if it can be done.

ediko

Post by ediko » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 14:14

Do you really think if egosoft didn't make it with all their experience in this engine the modders could actually do it? I don't think so. Just think about it x series just repeat and repeat themselves, its basicly the same game its just the universe and graphics that change a bit in the series . Now imagine if egosoft would make landing on planets possible in realtime? I think the game would became a a bestselling hit. Egosoft's profit would be , well HUGE. And what do you think why didn't they do it? I think they just can't do it with this engine. All of this is IMO btw. Oh and one more thing . Search for infinity the quest for earth on google. Now that's what x should be.

dkAN
x3tc

Post by dkAN » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 15:03

landing on planets, i think every x-player had got this idea , me too, but to make it is one porblem, but the bigger problem would be the huge numer of needed scripts, plugins and so on and i thin you would need a quad-core cpu to play this mod.

i think, it would be possible, but if we modder would do this, we need pros and so on, so i think before we would finish this mod, egosft will publish one addon , where you can do this..

semiliterate

Post by semiliterate » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 20:34

um

correct me if i'm wrong. but couldn't you just connect to a station and display a different sector background that looks like earth? or a short movie that shows a "transport ship" landing?

seems fairly script-light. insert a new station by a planet. trouble is giving it functionality not already in the game.

04ihegba
x3

Post by 04ihegba » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 20:49

There is a few cut scenes in X3:R that are planetside and playable. (I havent seen any yet in TC, but then I haven't played too much of the story) Why cant we use the scenes from that to make a sector that has one huge object over it that looks like its planetside too. You can cover the top of the map with sky and the bottom with grass, and then explain that the ships counteract gravity for easy flight. Doesn't sound too hard to me.
Rig:
Sandy Bridge i7 3930k @ 4.5Ghz
Gigabyte Ga-X79-UP4
Geforce 560Ti 1GB
8GB Crucial DDR3-12800 RAM
6TB of HDD, 256GB Agility 3

euclid
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by euclid » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 21:34

You can simulate it using something like the docking rings in Freelancer. However, there is no way to actually walk around unless you want to float in your spacesuit :-)

Cheers Euclid
"In any special doctrine of nature there can be only as much proper science as there is mathematics therein.”
- Immanuel Kant (1724-1804), Metaphysical Foundations of the Science of Nature, 4:470, 1786

xavierd

Post by xavierd » Sat, 21. Feb 09, 21:38

04ihegba wrote:Doesn't sound too hard to me.
I and probably the rest of the X community eagerly await your flawless contribution.

No wait, the other thing, it can't be done.

Lord Dakier
x4

Post by Lord Dakier » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 16:34

I cant stand it when people say if it can even be done. I seen the damn thing done on X2 so no exceptions for X3 or TC.

I think we are all forgetting that alot of TC is community based so dont tell me its not possible.

Arraamis
x3tc

Post by Arraamis » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 17:05

Previous arguments aside - what do you actually want to do on a planet that you cannot, while in orbit around the planets.

I can understand adding additional features that enhance the game, but I don't see any actual benefit to landing on a planet.

Also, every game has limitations. Some are designed to have you explore planets and fight creatures, explore caves, meet new races etc...

X3:TC wasn't designed to that end.

Of course this is just my humble opinion -- but I think time would be better spent adding additional starts, races, sectors, ships and MODS to the game.

Sir Squallus
x4

Post by Sir Squallus » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 17:51

ther are mod´s whith simulate flying, and "landing" on planets
BUT the X3 Engine ins not able to diplay huge planes of Gras or Citys
even if a modder is able to handle this problem, the AI cant handle huge objects, take a look at aldrin if you don´t belive it.
there is a maybe a way like in Freelancer, with "landingports"
and a dockingport like in tradingstations, whitch look like a bar or so on, but real landing is impossible.

ladyboy

Post by ladyboy » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 18:22

I like this idea. Here's what i thought...

It would be cool if you could make a land vehicle model and constrain it to the collision model for a big huge asteroid like in aldrin (that thing is huge) made a model of a sphere and texture it like a planet and put it so the aldrin asteroid sits inside it and stop the sphere from colliding with everything.

i dont know ... that's all i've come up with so far. =D maybe docking a big ship half inside it for buildings?

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 22. Feb 09, 19:14

This idea is even less feasible than multiplayer.

Besides those other games that were suggested, Evochron Renegades lets you fly around, go into planet atmosphere and out again in real time, dock at cities and stuff.

But it has none of the depth, really, that X has.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”