What makes IBL so amazing?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Mental_Atom
x3tc

What makes IBL so amazing?

Post by Mental_Atom » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:16

Everyone says theyre incredible etc. but what actually makes them so good apart from damage?

uxnhoj123
x3tc

Post by uxnhoj123 » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:18

Sometimes a capital ship has turret slots that can only mount IBL's as heavy weaponry - all the other weapons that fit the turret are too small, stuff like HEPT.

Other than that, I don't really know. Range is kinda short so I prefer PPC when I can.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:20

They aren't all that great, really - they are PPC light.

However... without them, most M7 have no anti-capital lasers at all and would be limited to M6-class lasers like ISR which do about 1/4 the damage.

Terran M7 have no equivalent to IBL and are therefore the butt of many firepower jokes since M6 sized lasers are all they can use. =)
Last edited by Gazz on Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

OTAS Employee
x3tc

Post by OTAS Employee » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:22

Mental_Atom wrote:...but what actually makes them so good apart from damage?
That's like asking why chocolate is so good apart from the taste.:wink:
The main reason everyone wants to get them is that they are the only real anti-capital weapons that many M7s can fit.
Compared to a PPC they are not as good, but only the thresher can fit PPCs in any significant number, I believe.
For many M7s, such as the Panther, or Tiger, they are the only real Anti-capital weapons, unless you want to go down the ammo-based route.
'Er, excuse me,' said Ford, following after him, 'which government owns this Brigantine?'
Marvin ignored him.
'Which government...' started Ford Prefect again.
'No government owns it,' snapped the robot, 'it's been stolen.'
'Stolen?'
'Stolen?' mimicked Marvin.
'By who?' asked Ford.
'Squiddy McSquid.'

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:42

The Boron Thresher (M7) Can mount 8(?) PPC's in its main. and FLAK in the turrets.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 19:54

OTAS Employee wrote:For many M7s, such as the Panther, or Tiger, they are the only real Anti-capital weapons, unless you want to go down the ammo-based route.
There is no ammo-based alternative to IBL.

Of the M7 only the Shrike can mount Gauss Cannons at all but for those 2 turrets they are a firm requirement and by no means an alternative.
For it's main guns IBL are still the only possible anti-capital laser...

"Real" M2 that can use Gauss Cannons typically can use PPC in the same turret so there would be no point in using the inferior IBL.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

idaeus
x3tc

Post by idaeus » Mon, 23. Feb 09, 20:46

007bradz wrote:The Boron Thresher (M7) Can mount 8(?) PPC's in its main. and FLAK in the turrets.
It can hold 10 - the only M7 that can. For all the others, the only weapon that gives >5km firing range is the IBL, and it hands out 8.1k of hull damage and 46.2k of shield damage compared to 8.2k and 46.5k for the PPC.

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 00:42

idaeus wrote:and it hands out 8.1k of hull damage and 46.2k of shield damage compared to 8.2k and 46.5k for the PPC.
But uses up more energy doing so.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 08:35

And has a slower speed of shot, but that's not the point. As has already been said, the only reason for using IBLs in preference to PPCs is if you have no other choice, e.g. you're flying an M7. You'd have to be insane to put IBLs on the turrets of a ship that can mount PPCs, especially since you can actually build PPCs yourself rather than having to rely on a couple of pirate factories!

Ezuku
x2

Post by Ezuku » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 08:42

Which is why it's so retarded that so many NPC M2s equip IBLs...

This is clearly the reason why pirates are so rich in the universe that they can own their own sectors and don't even have to bother to collect the loot of stuff they kill; all their income comes from selling IBLs...

ryeeson
x4

Post by ryeeson » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 09:07

You need it when you do.

"Think" as a strategy.. Not just used them blindly. Every person have different playing style. To me;

At the beginning of the game, i don't want to spent money on buying M1/M2 or even M7.

i am at my 6 game day and just finished the FFM.

I have bought the a Panther because of the FFM and because i never saw any Cobra flying around (at least 5 gaming days).

I boarded the Cobra, Akuma, Tiger, Thersher, and 7 X TL.
I sold the Thersher and 4 TL for quick cash.

I boarded the cobra so that i can fire my marine in Boarding Pod and i boarded the tiger because i need his speed and firepower.
I do this because my plan is to board the Osaka and i am to lazy to jump around to collect Fali Missile.

My mission is simple,

1. Get closed to the "desired ship" fire as hard as i can to take down the shield.
2. Jump into the Cobra and get real closed ~300 m.
3. Fired Boarding Pod. With a very close range, they should hit the hull in no time.
4. Run as the shield of your ship will be gone..

Why IBL? Because Its has the Fire Power i needed and the Split M7 have the speed i desired. So its suit to my strategy for Hit and Run since IBL can took down the shield pretty fast. Considering you only have 4 X 1 Gj.

quarkian37
x3tc

Post by quarkian37 » Tue, 24. Feb 09, 14:34

One point that has not been mentioned - is that many commonwealth capital ships can fit an IBL in the rear turret but not a PPC.

Therefore you have the option of running away, whilst firing at the attacking ship from the rear turret (I know some side turrets fire backwards, but you have to be closer to the attacking ship to do that - probably in firing range).

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”