Starburst shockwave cannons (possibly all flak lasers) keep missing

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Spikend
x3tc

Starburst shockwave cannons (possibly all flak lasers) keep missing

Post by Spikend » Sun, 1. Mar 09, 11:04

Hey people!

Well I'm having a slight problem with my SSCs.. Because when I for example jump into a Ka'ahk sector with my Tyr and the enemy swarms me, the SSCs really hit very little. Now I'm especially talking about the Scouts, but this was really no problem when I did it with my Aegir.

Why does it miss so much?
I've equipped the Tyr with 8PSPs in the front and 3SSCs in every other turret.

Terre
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Terre » Sun, 1. Mar 09, 11:24

I believe the flak problem is a known issue.

Spikend
x3tc

Post by Spikend » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 17:16

Does anyone know if this problem will be adressed in the 2.0 patch?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 3. Mar 09, 23:11

It's been a problem since X3R 1.0--if they knew what was causing it I think it would have been fixed by now! Reloading sometimes helps, as does changing sector.

Spikend
x3tc

Post by Spikend » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 06:56

Ah ok.. Well the only differences/variations in the problem that I notice is that it misses most when the pc is heavy loaded, say when you have 20 scouts and a couple of interceptors and fighters firing at you.

It is also most common for the large ships. I barelly ever had the problem with the Aegir (M7), but my Tyr (M2) is having problems. Hits with one cannon (of 3) in average each 3rd-4th salvo I think.

Maybe the guns is too spread out?

X-Warrior B AS
Moderator (Nederlands)
Moderator (Nederlands)
x3tc

Post by X-Warrior B AS » Wed, 4. Mar 09, 18:53

I agree it might be a speed thing. The projectiles might move too fast, straight through the target, but the hit trigger doesn't respond quickly enough. I've flown through a gate without jumping multiple times in a row in a fast ship on SETA as well. You never know, might be related.

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Tue, 10. Mar 09, 09:34

pjknibbs wrote:It's been a problem since X3R 1.0--if they knew what was causing it I think it would have been fixed by now! Reloading sometimes helps, as does changing sector.
Erm... If it is a known issue since X3R then they should have come up with a solution by now. Not knowing how to fix a bug the devs themselves created in the first place is a lame excuse to avoid the issue.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Tue, 10. Mar 09, 14:25

MadGizmo wrote:Erm... If it is a known issue since X3R then they should have come up with a solution by now. Not knowing how to fix a bug the devs themselves created in the first place is a lame excuse to avoid the issue.
You're not a programmer, I'm guessing? :wink:

Think 'needle', and 'haystack'. You might know that the needle is somewhere in that haystack, but the trick is in finding it - knowing it's there provides absolutely zero help with that.

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Wed, 11. Mar 09, 07:49

eladan wrote:
MadGizmo wrote:Erm... If it is a known issue since X3R then they should have come up with a solution by now. Not knowing how to fix a bug the devs themselves created in the first place is a lame excuse to avoid the issue.
You're not a programmer, I'm guessing? :wink:

Think 'needle', and 'haystack'. You might know that the needle is somewhere in that haystack, but the trick is in finding it - knowing it's there provides absolutely zero help with that.
As a matter of fact I am. Hehe.

Needle and haystack is a nice excuse, but if I am having a coding problem I can't find a solution for and non of my colleagues can help me out then I delete that part of the code and build it up from scratch. Usually that solves the problem.
Last edited by MadGizmo on Wed, 11. Mar 09, 07:58, edited 1 time in total.

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Wed, 11. Mar 09, 07:53

Nice idea, if you have the luxury of time and resources to do that, and the problem is in a clearly definable area. Of course, then there are all the new bugs you just introduced.

Given that neither you nor I have any idea of how the code is structured or the possible issues in finding and fixing the problem, what you might do in your own work is very likely not relevant.

MadGizmo
xr

Post by MadGizmo » Wed, 11. Mar 09, 08:01

Well... A bug can persist for a long time, but you cannot leave it and introduce it in the next generation of the game. Especially when it is one of your core routines. The game is intended to shoot things and if there is a problem with that, you have to give that a priority. ;)

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 11. Mar 09, 12:13

MadGizmo wrote:The game is intended to shoot things and if there is a problem with that, you have to give that a priority. ;)
I can see it now...

"Hi everyone. We were going to announce a new game called Terran Conflict, but we spent all our time and money on tracking down that elusive flak problem. So... we present, X3 Reunion, now with fixed flaks! Please buy the game again, so that we can recoup the money we spent doing that instead of developing TC..." :wink:

I'm deliberately exaggerating it, but I hope it helps you see the problem with what you are suggesting. I seem to be saying this a lot lately, but - it's all about priorities. About what is going to give you the best return on investment of your time and money.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 11. Mar 09, 19:49

eladan wrote:I'm deliberately exaggerating it, but I hope it helps you see the problem with what you are suggesting. I seem to be saying this a lot lately, but - it's all about priorities. About what is going to give you the best return on investment of your time and money.
From my point of view, every such bugfix is easy to do because I don't have to do it myself.
Since it takes zero time and resources that way, the only possible holdup could be the lazyness of the developers.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”