X-BTF and X-T nostalgia interrupted by... virtual memory trouble (Veterans - help!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stealth
x2

X-BTF and X-T nostalgia interrupted by... virtual memory trouble (Veterans - help!)

Post by Stealth » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 20:57

Well... this place changed quite a bit. I have to admit it's been a while since the old days of X2 and Firelance work...

Anyhow. To the present problem. I got nostalgic all of a sudden a few days ago and figured I'd rush in and reinstall XBTF and XT for old times' sake, if nothing to see how it worked back then.
Woe to me when I installed both games, patched them fully and... hit a brick wall as both games report they're out of virtual memory.

Now, granted, the machine is a Vista, not a perfect choice of OSes, I know. However, the virtual memory is set to a solid 4 GB of disk space (plus 512 MB on a fast, but expendable SD card for backup), the games have been started with the XDX6.exe with the -profi flag.

Any idea what else can be done? Any other flags? Compatibility mode?

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 21:01

Yes, try running them in Windows 98 compatibility mode. It's also a good idea to let Vista decide how much virtual memory it wants rather than setting it to a fixed value.

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 21:45

CBJ, as always, you're a pure genius. The Compatibility Mode: 98 worked like a charm. :mrgreen: Time to relive the days of yonder, I'd say.

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Post by The Iron Duke » Thu, 5. Mar 09, 22:04

LO. Just adding this to my posts (so I can find it) to use advise in future. Ta.
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me." (Sir Athur Wellesley, viewng the Connaught Rangers, eve of Waterloo.)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”