[SCR] Missile Safety (v1.12)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

sneakbyte
x3tc

Post by sneakbyte » Fri, 30. Dec 11, 08:22

EDIT: NVM forgot to copy the AI content folder in X3:AP sigh

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Sun, 8. Jan 12, 23:17

I've just installed a couple of mods and a few scripts. All of them were recommended to work nicely with XRM and have proven to work together. I'll list what i have to make it clearer :)

X3:TC 3.1.1
Bonus Pack
XRM
Complex Cleaner
MBRR and pre-reqs
Lucikes library and Prospector
Logaines CSecG
Bounce
Claim Unknown Sector
Marine Repairs
NPC Bailing
Pure Hud
Salvage Claim Software
Phanon Corp
Pirate Base
Smart Turrets
Numeric Ranks
Missile Defence Mk2

and a couple of others by you.

Every time i start up a new game or load up a save of what is basically a new game i get a popup saying "Enter number of Missile volleys". No matter what I type in 0, 1, 10 etc, it keeps popping up. As soon as i disable this addon, the popup never appears.

Thought I'd mention it cos you updated recently and maybe it's related to that...... or I'm doing something wrong and not understanding something correctly :)

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Sun, 8. Jan 12, 23:44

I've never heard of this happening in vanilla TC so it must be one of your other scripts.

The MS script does not generate any messages at all.
My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Spectre01
xr

Post by Spectre01 » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 00:11

I still say they should make this into the bonus pack.

qwizzie
x4

Post by qwizzie » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 00:51

what Erenar describes happened to me too.

i installed both the missile safety script 1.12 and Mars Fire Control 5.20 at 31-12-2011 and i also run XRM. I only got it away by starting a new game,
my save games all started with that message "Enter number of Missile volleys". and indeed no matter what you type it keeps popping up.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 01:04

And I can't change that.

The MS calls
1. my own library to get a ship's model size (which calls no other scripts)
2. itself.

At no time does it ever call another script that might pop up a message.

If that happens then it's another script doing it for reasons of it's own.
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 11:49

Hmmm ok :) Thanks for the quick replies. Now to work out what script/mod actually contains that message :)

Any tips on how to go about that? Would the editor have a search function i could run through each added file?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 13:01

the enter number of volleys message is from the standard missile barrage script

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 13:22

What do you think could be causing it to pop with xrm and missile safety enabled? Is there a way to stop it from popping?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 16:25

im assuming some script is issuing the command from somewhere.

the message is at the top of the command script, u could remove that to stop it from asking. But u'll need another way to enter the number of volleys.

the AP version doesn't it a different way so u could do something simlar to the TC version.

also, check if you have both an xml and pck for the command script.

!ship.cmd.missile.attack

if you have an xml, most likly u've installed something that makes changes to the script but its not being used because the pck still exists

Erenar
x4

Post by Erenar » Mon, 9. Jan 12, 17:45

Ok, so.... I think my laziness kicked me where the sun only shines occasionally.

I had installed the script as a full "Install Archive" through the mod manager (stable version). I am guessing that the manager also installed the AP AI files in the subfolder because after installing the 3 scripts manually.... all is working fine and dandy :)

Thanks for the pointers :) Attempting to look a little deeper into the issue alerted me to the pck files from the AI folder and made me consider the above possibility. Also noting that apparently AP uses 3 variables, TC 1... that alerted me to those AI files.

Edit Yep, all seems good, just went mental and let loose on the OTAS HQ and dealt with (until i got nuked) quite a number of ships and no popup! :D

Kvalyr
x4

Post by Kvalyr » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 05:23

I've installed this (along with the AI files moved to the correct location) but I'm not seeing any difference whatsoever for NPC ships.
I wonder if I've misunderstood what it's supposed to do with regards to NPC ships?

My understanding was that it would make it so that missiles fired by NPC ships would have their collision detection disabled until they were at a particular range to prevent them being destroyed (and therefore exploding, taking the NPC ship out too); but that simply isn't happening in my game with Missile Safety installed and enabled in the AL options.

Instead, enemy missiles detonate when shot immediately after launching and I still end up destroying enemy ships because they were stupid enough to launch a Silkworm when at 25% hull or so.

The 1.1 patch made us get credit for those 'missile suicides' of enemy ships, but it still makes capping certain fighters far more difficult than it should be and a lot less fun.

I resolved this in the past by reducing the blast radius for all fighter-usable missiles to 500 in TMissiles.pck and that solves the problem by reducing the chance of the enemy fighters taking damage from their own early-detonated missiles, but it also screws with the effectiveness of various missiles that are supposed to have a large blast radius; so I'd much prefer another solution!

Any ideas, Gazz?
Last edited by Kvalyr on Thu, 19. Jan 12, 09:58, edited 1 time in total.

aka1nas
x4

Post by aka1nas » Thu, 19. Jan 12, 08:56

I installed v.1.12 (and confirmed that the stock scripts were properly overwritten) with AP 1.1 and am also not seeing the script appear to do anything with NPC ships firing missiles. About 90% of my kills are coming from blowing up the NPCs missile inadvertently while shooting them. :(

Charon_A

Post by Charon_A » Tue, 5. Jun 12, 21:56

Gazz, looks like a great script, thanks! :)
I do wonder however if it is safe to update the files that come with AP 2.0 with the ones from this script? Some of te files in the archive look older (have lower version) than the ones installed with AP 2.0+BonusPack.
Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.
---Mark Twain---

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 6. Jun 12, 12:04

It's probably safe. There were no major AI fixes in AP patches.

Viliae
x3tc

Post by Viliae » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 20:09

Hello

First sorry for resurrection such an old topic.
My question are:
I've just installed yours missile safety script and find few readtexts (readtext35-3540, readtext35-3544, readtext35-3546 - those come from my memory). I was searching the forum and find out that they should be in tfile 0001, but they are don't.
I was searching some more and find out that it came from script "!plugin.gz.missile.def.mk3.menu.pck". So my question are: what texts there should be (I will add it by myself if needed)? Or delete this script?

Edit: Ohh I forgot to mention - I am using latest X3AP.

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 21:05

Apparently your language (35) is missing a few text entries.

What you could do is to unpack the T-files from the last few (highest numbers) CAT files, starting low, and overwriting them as you unpack the higher number CAT files.

Then you look into the english language (44) t-file and copy the missing entries to the matching category in the file for your language.

Viliae
x3tc

Post by Viliae » Thu, 28. Nov 13, 22:16

Well

I've installed this script even in Vanilla game and got readtexts.
I've opened 04, 03, 02, 01.dats in vanilla game (I have another copies for modding purposes) and didn't find text id 3542 (and others) in 0001.pck (I've checked 44, 49 and 48 languages).
Now I am downloading new copy of X3AP and will recheck 0001.pck.

I will write what have found.

Viliae
x3tc

Post by Viliae » Fri, 29. Nov 13, 00:35

Hello

So I have downloaded a fresh copy from steam and guess what? After installing only your script, readtext35-3540 and friends still exists in turret command menu.
Like before I've checked 0001-L044, 049 and 048, page Id 35, 300035, 350035 and 380035 for this missing id's.

Sorry for bothering you so much but I really want to use your script.

Yinepuhotep
x4

"Enter number of missile volleys"

Post by Yinepuhotep » Sat, 14. Dec 13, 19:30

The AP version of this script is a dream. It does everything advertised, and has saved me from being blown up more times than I can count.

The TC version, on the other hand, I have been forced to uninstall, because - even when I delete everything in my TC folder and download a fresh copy from Steam, then install ONLY this script, it causes http://www.macmanusnet.net/2013-12-13_00002.jpg to appear every ten seconds or so, from the moment I launch my game until I shut the game down as unplayable.

It's really disappointing, because I would LOVE to rely on this script in TC the way I do in AP, but I don't know enough about debugging scripts to be able to do more than find the script that broke my game and disable or uninstall it. (And in this case, it was weird enough that I was completely lost until Dr. Bullwinkle told me he'd had the same problem himself.)

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude - Scripts and Modding”