[DiD] SETA Glitch - I'm *inside* an elephant?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

anneonemous
x3tc

[DiD] SETA Glitch - I'm *inside* an elephant?

Post by anneonemous » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 20:40

Forgive the strange title. I am (or maybe was) 4 days & 4 hours playing time into a DiD bankrupt assassin start; flying a skiron.

I had just jumped into a sector, and hit SETA, when I was run over by an elephant (mine) which had chosen the same jump gate en-route to a station delivery navigation marker. I can't remember whether I'd set a course across the sector, or was just sitting in the front of the gate.

Now.... the strange thing was that I got to briefly see a ghostly part-corrupted outline of the front section of the elephant ship surround, and go way past me. I guess that the first 'real' collision had not occurred due to SETA, and my Skiron was inside the volume of the elephant. I was nicely centered too- it looked as though I was reversing down the inside of a tapering square cross-section prism.

Remember that reading (and imagining the scene from) the above paragraph already took longer than the whole incident...

The first bump took off about 30% shields; working on pure reflex, I pull left, and hit boost acceleration. Of course, I collide with the (inside of the) skin of the elephant again, and rip off about another 40% of the shields. At this point, realization kicks in that I'm in trouble- another clonk...

...THE END...

Soooo, here are my questions:

(i) Anyone had a similar experience- is it reasonable to assume that the first collision was skipped due to SETA?

If so, being inside the elephant was an inescapable glitch, which may qualify under my self-imposed ruleset to allow a reload, but only if...

(ii) If a slow-moving Skiron is hit by a fast-moving elephant, would it survive the impact? They've got similar levels of shielding, and I think that the slow moving ship takes less damage in the X3 collision model. I certainly survived the first two impacts.

Interesting, huh?

:)

Oh- and in case anyone's interested: I play DiD, with missile defence mosquito script, and no civs mod. Been playing this way (more or less) since X2...

AoN.

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 20:45

I had something similar happen. I had ejected out of my Krestal during a return ship mission in Terran territory, the ship was a Katana. Upon ejection somehow I was inside the Katana in a spacesuit and the repair laser fuctioned normally. Afterwards I jumped back to my Kestral with no problems and went on my way.

Edit: This is in a vanilla game.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 20:49

Yes, it happened to me when I ordered my Mammoth to jump to a sector. Then I came through the same gate, flew straight though it. Although my death was much quicker as I was flying a Kestrel. :roll:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 21:27

How close were you to the gate? When a capital ship comes through a gate it just kind of "pops" into the sector sticking way out from the gate, and a ship that's very close to the gate can end up inside it even without using SETA. There were at least three separate occasions where I came through a gate in a Boron Ray to find some unfortunate freighter stuck inside my hull!

anneonemous
x3tc

Post by anneonemous » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 21:34

I was very close to the gate.

AoN

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 22:16

As Pjknibbs says, ships jumping into the sector are created (or have the collision turned on?) in front of the gate rather than coming through so if you were sitting there then the elephant probably materialised around you.
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 22:19

anneonemous wrote:I was very close to the gate.

AoN
So now you've learned there are anti-loitering laws in the X-Universe. Prime law is never loiter at a gate. The fines can be quite severe. :P :lol:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 23:39

Nanook wrote:
anneonemous wrote:I was very close to the gate.

AoN
So now you've learned there are anti-loitering laws in the X-Universe. Prime law is never loiter at a gate. The fines can be quite severe. :P :lol:
Capital! Capital!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

K-64
x3tc

Post by K-64 » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 23:45

that problem wouldn't occur if the gate entering/leaving was like what you see in the TC intro with the Xenon ships flying through the gates (although the engine probably can't do that) If nothing else, it would look cooler. I've had my ship flying out of a gate (Nova Raider) and some fool in a freighter crashed straight into me, he got angry so I killed him (as you do) then everyone else started hunting me down. So much for the "he started it" excuse :P

NCX
x4

Post by NCX » Tue, 17. Mar 09, 23:54

I had similar problem.

I told my mammoth to jump to a sector and then I jumped my hyperion a few seconds later thinking the mammoth would have jumped before me, but I got there first and then the mammoth jumped in and I was inside it for a few bumps and then I was no more.

I wonder if one could jump back out of the other ship if quick to press the keys and somehow avoided bumping sides.

ThommoHawk
x4

Post by ThommoHawk » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 00:29

Yeah it happened to me too in X3R, just flew through a gate, and ended up in an elephants belly immediately on the other side, losing shields. I self destructed before thinking of trying the jumpdrive - so if it happens again it would be interesting to see if it is possible to jump out from ship-eating-carnivores before losing shields.
[XTrilogy]: Holy Argnu cows! I have found it! An asteroid of pure ore - 100% - I am rich! Now, I just need to find one like that made from silicon. hmmm, where do I want to go today?
X REBIRTH? "JUST A TOURIST until X4 IS RELEASED! Because That SUPERNOVA sure went FUBAR" (Quoting T.Hawk. Read all about it at: http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=353678) :x3:

cale_online
x3ap

Post by cale_online » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 00:55

not sure about TC but in X3:R its possible to fly inside a mammoth or titan, or collosus... lol (its been a while)

theres a hole somewhere... underneath.♦

unfortunately its impossible to find your way out again, so if it ever happens i usually cheat myself to ECs and jump out.. assuming i can avoid bumping into it for 30 seconds.. lol

anneonemous
x3tc

Post by anneonemous » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 01:44

Oooh, maybe that would be a good way to cap a ship using marines?

You put a satellite on the other side of the gate, and watch, in position, and wait for the target capship to come through...

Move along with the cap ship, inside it's volume. Shoot it (from the inside) until the shields drop, then release the marines :)

That'd be a rush.

Hah.

AoN.

Painman
x3tc

Post by Painman » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 02:15

This is not an *entirely* useless and annoying phenomenon... once I was doing a Hold Position mission in a Boreas for the BHS Military outpost. Rather than plug it all the way over to the North Gate, I just jumped to it... telefragging a J in the process as it emerged :o :D

Wasn't too good for my shields, but the J simply exploded into a zillion bits of space shrapnel.

Neferdias
x3tc

Post by Neferdias » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 06:07

Another vote for an improved gate system?

Yeah, this happens a bit to often for my taste. Lets just say i was making amends with the split... jumped my mammoth in to finish off a very expensive station build mission (one that would have made me a lot higher rank then creature)... on the other side of the gate was somthing... not entirly sure but there was at least 3 explosions...

They reeeeeeeeally were not happy with me after that.

This was a rather rare issue for me in X3R but in TC there seems to be so much more traffic flying around that it makes it impossible sometimes to not steamroll small craft in a large ship. I find myself flying around in a disco toting my cap ship behind me so that i can at least get a mostly clear gate path to jump it in behind me (as AI follow a WAY different flight pattern when you're IS).

One good thing about this though... Assasination mission... jumping on top of 3/4 of the support fleet makes for interesting fireworks...

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 13:08

I think you're talking about something else, Neferdias--you're talking about simply ramming other ships, whereas the OP is talking about ships ending up INSIDE yours.

Mortis494
x3tc

Post by Mortis494 » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 13:57

I've been run over next to gate a few times before, it happens. But the really unusual one I experienced was:

While building another complex (in Gunnes Crusade) I was Towing a silicon mine (L) into position, I was in my Hyp facing the 'roid 3.5km from it in reverse (-10) backing up towards the complex. This is my usual way of moving them and I was running SETA x10

I noticed the roid spinning more than usual and suddenly there was a crump sound and I find myself inside the asteroid, still in reverse, still with the tractor beam on, and trying not to graze the sides!

After a careful attempt at flying out (slowly) and giving the sheilds a whack I decided to engage the JD and escape - only I was out of E-cells and stuck, the real problem was that I hadn't saved for a while and dind't wnat to redeploy all those factories again. I stroked my beard and had a think when it hit me! Docking Computer! I targeted the station (obvoiusly I'd disengaged the TB earlier) and tapped Shift+D repeatedly until, as expected I appear under the docking clamps of the mine, breathing a huge sigh of relief as the game autosaves once more.......

Anyone else have any unusual exploits?
Wanton Nukes and the Path to Galactic Conquest - Pilot of the 'Last Resort'
Who needs Facebook? We've got the X-Universe Forum :)

LV
Sith Lord
x3tc

Post by LV » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 15:16

I get this quite often as i use alot of jump logic for AI ships, i had 3 titans the other day in a line making a ship that looks like a triple size version, i should have taken a picture but didn't

Ships must ignore collisions for a time when exiting a gate

I personally like the idea of a figure 8 gate network where bigger ships come through the top one but tend to just use my gateless jumpdrive i wrote to stop my back doors being rammed
LV's TC Scripts
Readme's For All My Scripts

I felt a great disturbance in the forum, Like millions of voices cried out in terror, then were silenced

si tacuisses, philosophus mansisses

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 18. Mar 09, 21:53

I often drive large ships through gates, and when they come out they don't 'solidify' until they are completely out the gate, which is annoying when these Argon Military Centaurs keep coming out behind me and ending up inside my Ray M22... :x
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”