Forget el chupacabre, where's the IBLs?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

goodgimp
x3tc

Forget el chupacabre, where's the IBLs?

Post by goodgimp » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 20:18

I just want to know if I'm missing something, if it's a secret or a spoiler I'll do without, but if I'm just being clueless please fill me in...

I see a lot of ships, including my Tiger, can use Incendiary Bomb Launchers. I saw a NPC tiger fighting in an area firing weapons I hadn't seen before, and when I examined him I saw that sure enough, he had multiple IBLs. This got me to thinking that I want to get some as well.... and that's when I ran into trouble.

Are these things for sale anywhere? I flew around Split and Paranid space trying to find them, but I can't seem to find 'em anywhere?

Again, if it's a secret please no spoilers, but if I'm just looking in the wrong place let me know. I'm just trying to figure out if they're actually in the game or not.

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 20:27

It isn't very spoilerish, depends on your take on these things. You just need to know where to go. It's certainly not a plot issue! But just in case you are really strict with these things...
Spoiler
Show
If you read the encyclopaedia entry for IBLs you will learn that they were designed by Pirates. So, to find them you will have to look in Pirate space.

Unfortunately, most Pirate IBL forges will be dead by the time you have got to M7 ownership! There are two in Weaver's Tempest (go West from Empire's Edge and then south a few times), but that is Yaki space, and it is very difficult to get friends with them if you have done much Yaki bashing. Only way I got any was by shooting up any Yaki TLs that flew through Senator's Badlands (north of Weaver's tempest), until one dropped a crate full of them.
Warning: IBLs are very high power and long range, but sloooow, which makes them poor at shooting any reasonably fast-turning ship. They excel at taking out M1s and M2s, though they usually have similarly ranged weapons so you have to do a lot of work to keep an M7 from taking too much heavy fire. It can be done - I have done patrol missions with multiple Pirate, Xenon or Kha'ak capital ships and lived, though become nauseous from all the hard turns I had to do for one, ship, after, another!
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

sumppi
xr

Post by sumppi » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 20:30

Here's a tip.
What starts with P and goes "Yaarr" while flying around Gaia's star?

The answer is...
Spoiler
Show
Surprise, surprise, a Pirate!
IBLs are produced in Yaki and Pirate sectors in IBL forges. To get your hands on them, you need to capture capital size pirate vessels, destroy them, or just be able to dock that IBL forges in Loomanokstrat's Legacy or Weaver's Tempest.
Edit: Aww got beaten to it. 3mins late :D
Welcome to the Federation starship S.S. Buttcrack!
John Crichton, Farscape season 3 episode 4

Goodfeller
x3tc

Post by Goodfeller » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 22:15

Also, occasionally you can pick up IBLs dropped by enemy ships after large battles. Plus a lot of pirate and commonwealth M2s carry them, so cap any M2 and chances are you'll find plenty of IBLs on board.

goodgimp
x3tc

Post by goodgimp » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 22:18

Oooh, thanks guys. See, the IBL launcher is missing from my Encycopedia, I searched all over for it and couldn't see anything... hence my complete state of lost-ness. :)

So do weapons ever drop from wreckage, by blowing ships up, or do I have to board/cap them? Still working on getting CGLS, so haven't had fun boarding yet!

Deadbeat_Spinn
x3tc

Post by Deadbeat_Spinn » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 22:23

Weapons do drop from destroyed ships but it's generally random.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 22:24

Weapons drops do happen but are rare. You might get lucky - I was watching a Paranid/Pirate scrap out near Third Redemption and one of the ships dropped 5 of these things. I dropped my popcorn and rushed to get a TS to pick them up, pronto!

M

The Iron Duke
x3tc

Post by The Iron Duke » Tue, 24. Mar 09, 23:09

I obtained all mine from killing the Yaki Akuma that trolls around Senators Badlands, it respawns frequently, but I've found the fresh kill or leave alone for a while to be the most productive. Picked up a couple of dozen there. If you take it on in a 'blossom' provides quite some time of good fun. :D
Spoiler
Show
All then taken away for cloning.
"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but by God, they frighten me." (Sir Athur Wellesley, viewng the Connaught Rangers, eve of Waterloo.)

Orion1632
x4

Post by Orion1632 » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 00:16

I got lucky and boarded a Brig last night, and it had 26 IBL's in it's cargo

:D

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”