Cluster Flak vs. Flak Artillery

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

goodgimp
x3tc

Cluster Flak vs. Flak Artillery

Post by goodgimp » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 19:30

So I just got my first M2 ship last night (around 3:00am... dang you, Egosoft! :( ) and so for the first time I'm able to equip some Cluster Flak arrays. Previously, I flew a M7 Tiger with lots of Flak Artillery and I love that stuff! Swats down those pesky fighters like ants.

So looking at the Cluster Flak stats I was a little surprised. It's projectile is much slower, has shorter range, and does less damage. I believe the upside is that it hits a wide area, is that true? If so, is it worth it?

What have been your experiences between the two?

OTAS Employee
x3tc

Post by OTAS Employee » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 19:36

The upside is that it looks pretty. :P
It's apparently a bigger version of the FBL: you'll be lucky to hit something once in a blue moon.
Just like the FBL, it's apparently bugged.
'Er, excuse me,' said Ford, following after him, 'which government owns this Brigantine?'
Marvin ignored him.
'Which government...' started Ford Prefect again.
'No government owns it,' snapped the robot, 'it's been stolen.'
'Stolen?'
'Stolen?' mimicked Marvin.
'By who?' asked Ford.
'Squiddy McSquid.'

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 19:36

I think it's meant to hit a wide area, it explodes all over the place, but it actually doesn't do area damage, it's just if one of the exploding flak projectiles hits, so, in other words, it only seems to do damage when it hits directly, so you should just get FAA, which, as you said, has a faster fire, more damage, more range etc.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Targ Collective
x4

Post by Targ Collective » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 19:37

CFA is useless as the cluster effect is not considered part of the weapon range. Stick to Flak Artillery.

Chealec
x3tc

Post by Chealec » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 19:48

CFA detonates at a specific range - once the fighters are inside that range they're perfectly safe. However if you want to see how nasty it CAN be, find something like a Pirate Carrack with a few on-board and sit about 2km away from it... it can be ouchies.

In practice though it's vastly inferior to the FAA and will cause a lot of friendly fire incidents.
[ external image ]

... old skool

Gazz
x4

Post by Gazz » Wed, 25. Mar 09, 21:35

My complete script download page. . . . . . I AM THE LAW!
There is no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”