Flail fab construction

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

philip_hughes
x3tc

Flail fab construction

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 15:39

Well... my flail complex is well and truly underway. Those two borrowed Ryu's can hold only around 3 stations a piece, but they are ferrying em' in as quick as I need. Another borrowed nemesis has just completed a rather tricky operation; that is towing a 57 yeild silicon mine into my complex without getting myself or any station parts damaged. Nearly got the thing ready to just produce e-calls. After that, its ore then a flail fab. YAY! I can soon end any argument with a few missiles.
Split now give me death? Nah. Just give me your ship.

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 15:44

W00t. Where is your Flail 'plex going?
Also, am I the only person that read that as "FAIL fab construction"?
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

jlehtone
x4

Re: Flail fab construction

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 16:34

philip_hughes wrote:Another borrowed nemesis has just completed a rather tricky operation; that is towing a 57 yeild silicon mine into my complex without getting myself or any station parts damaged.
Tow first, build later. Less risky.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 16:40

Might need a dedicated flail and hammer complex too

I need to start thinking like that or least making a plan and sticking to it. I have one complex that I keep adding things to and then have to drag another mine over to hook up. I'm in need of starting up another few for the hub so will plan in advance to prevent these issues :)
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Wolf-R1

Post by Wolf-R1 » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 17:32

Tiedyeguy wrote:W00t. Where is your Flail 'plex going?
Also, am I the only person that read that as "FAIL fab construction"?
:D

No I read the same thing! I though "what the hell are FAIL missiles?!"

Then I envisioned missiles that caused pilots to bail from fail and head home in shame. :D

freddiel
x3tc

Post by freddiel » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 18:41

Flail fabs are good, mixed with a little Tomahawk, a splash of Wasp, a sprinkling of Thunderbolt, and a spoonful of Hammer Heavy Torpedo...mmm yummy :D . Oops nearly forgot, dont forget the Silworm.
X3 TC 3.2
Bringing peace to the Commonwealth with overwhelming fire power.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 22:27

jlehtone wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Another borrowed nemesis has just completed a rather tricky operation; that is towing a 57 yeild silicon mine into my complex without getting myself or any station parts damaged.
Tow first, build later. Less risky.
Too #@$@$ late to tell me now, isn't it?

:D

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 23:04

philip_hughes wrote:Too #@$@$ late to tell me now, isn't it?
It would not have been good sport to tell you beforehand, would it? ;)

@freddiel: Do all those Forges use same 3D-model? And how many of each type does one need? Lots of different stuff in one heap may not be nice performance-wise.

maphys
x3tc

Post by maphys » Wed, 1. Apr 09, 23:12

Spring of Belief is nearly done now for me. Two M7M missile fabs (the first was a puny 5 Hammer, 6 Flail, 4 Tomahawk one - then I tried an M7M and found out how hungry they were so the second one is 40 Flail, 10 Hammer) and a Chips/Local trade goods fab. Only a few scrappy Silicon asteroids left - maybe a small PSG loop and I will have turned that sector into a slideshow quite effectively!!

M7Ms are demanding beasts...

M

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 02:41

jlehtone wrote:@freddiel: Do all those Forges use same 3D-model? And how many of each type does one need? Lots of different stuff in one heap may not be nice performance-wise.
So having the same types of stations together is less intensive as many types together? For example, having a giant complex of just 200 Wheat Farm Ls in a sector is much better than having 200 randomly assorted stations all to together?
It does make a bit of sense.
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

Duncans_pumpkin
x3tc

Post by Duncans_pumpkin » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 02:51

Off topic: I can tell ive been on failblog.org too much i read that as FAIL fab construction and was hopeing for some dreadful complex construction pics.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 12:24

TBH a normal pic of station spaghetti would be good enough for fail blog...

But if someone has a truly disgusting pic, post it. I would like to see.

Incidentally, 200 of the same fab may sound good, but guys like me go for whats called "closed loops". These are factories that are self sufficient. Not everyones cup of tea, some sadists LIKE having freighters flitting to and fro. As for me, im happiest when blowing the crud out of something, not managing a production empire.

Note to ego: change the motto to trade fight THINK build.

SIMON POPPLEWELL
x3tc

Post by SIMON POPPLEWELL » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 12:32

philip_hughes wrote:TBH a normal pic of station spaghetti would be good enough for fail blog...

But if someone has a truly disgusting pic, post it. I would like to see.

Incidentally, 200 of the same fab may sound good, but guys like me go for whats called "closed loops". These are factories that are self sufficient. Not everyones cup of tea, some sadists LIKE having freighters flitting to and fro. As for me, im happiest when blowing the crud out of something, not managing a production empire.

Note to ego: change the motto to trade fight THINK build.
Same here, I only build closed loop complexes. Theres nothing worse than seeing a flashing yellow station, because the damned freighter has collided with the station Hub again or been taken out by pirates! Closed loops, you don't have to worry about micro management.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 12:44

Note to user: the THINK component of the motto is recommended to be used before, during, and after the other components. :goner:

200 of the same and only 20 docking ports smells like traffic throughput jam. On the other hand, 197 weapon Forges, 303 supporting stations, and a mere 1000 Crystals per hour resource shortage can be handled with tiny freighter fleet sad****. (But there will be certain mas*** issues. :roll: )

Which returns to the Spring of Belief. Couldn't remember at first why the name was familiar. Because I used the German map name while building there. One can build more, if one imports Silicon. Or better yet, imports Crystals. There are potential sources of Crystals nearby, I hope? "Closed loop" does not have to be a single Complex (and neither self-sufficient Complex has to be "closed").

Spaghetti is matter of taste. What is "utter failure" to perfectionist can still be awesome for lowered expectations. :teladi:

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 13:02

"trade, fight, build, think, head to off topic, philosophise, get into a massive debate on life the universe and everything" is a more accurate mantra. Not that I'm making any suggestions as to where this thread should go... :roll:

ediko

Post by ediko » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 14:20

Nah its actually "trade,fight,build, fail"

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 14:59

philip_hughes wrote:Incidentally, 200 of the same fab may sound good, but guys like me go for whats called "closed loops". These are factories that are self sufficient.
Sorry, I meant to phrase my question in strictly technical performance terms.

philip_hughes
x3tc

Post by philip_hughes » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 15:04

Another three factories... 2 crystal fabs and a cahoona bakery.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 17:38

Tiedyeguy wrote:Sorry, I meant to phrase my question in strictly technical performance terms.
Naturally I cannot know for sure, but (very subjective) observations of performance on both mixed and homogenous constructions did give such feeling that homogenous is easier.

Making a row of same model is much more systematic than trying to think how different models will look and connect. That may not affect the resulting performance though.

The game has to load every model that is in the sector. If all stations would use the same model, there could be more cache hits and less transfer of model data into GFX. Just repeat drawing of the model into different coordinates. Logically, there must be an opportunity to optimize, ie noticeable performance gain.

Three factories per TL. That is no better than Mammoth. :)

freddiel
x3tc

Post by freddiel » Thu, 2. Apr 09, 18:35

jlehtone wrote:
philip_hughes wrote:Too #@$@$ late to tell me now, isn't it?
It would not have been good sport to tell you beforehand, would it? ;)

@freddiel: Do all those Forges use same 3D-model? And how many of each type does one need? Lots of different stuff in one heap may not be nice performance-wise.
The performance is a pig, down to about 10FPS. I have built the complex in Avarice, a self sustaining plex with a little energy left over. It is for my use only i.e non of the products are for sale, and only one of each missile factories.

It now makes the sector unuseable for me because of the performance, so I have got round this by having 2 SF there to supply my various ships with both missiles and energy, jumping to whichever sectors I'm in.

My sig is actually incorrect now, I have used a Facory Complex Construtor to create this, however I still have spaghetti wiring .
I was considering using the Complx Cleaner on this, but I haven't got round to it yet.

Because my fleet is still small, these factories are more than adequate for my needs, however, with the recent aqqusition of a Brig, I may have to reconsider my options. :D :D

In all honesty though I don't have enough knowledge about the best use of missiles, I seem to have used the ones mentioned mostly thats why I built the plex.
X3 TC 3.2
Bringing peace to the Commonwealth with overwhelming fire power.

Why is there so much month left at the end of the money?

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”