Suggestions on how to fight a Xenon PX with PBEs

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

arcana75
x3tc

Suggestions on how to fight a Xenon PX with PBEs

Post by arcana75 » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:19

I encountered a random Xenon pack flying in Black Hole Sun.

I took out the M3/4s easily then started to fight the PX. In minutes I was reduced to spacedust with its turreted PBEs.

I know the PBEs have short range, but the PX was flying about 130 and my Nova Raider only does 190 with HEPT and PRGs. While I could outrange it in theory, it'll be impossible to do prolonged passes since the PBEs totally ruin my ship and before long my shields will be stripped and then my hull.

Combat suggestiosn?

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 04:45

The PX only has 1 PBE on the rear turret and none up front (the fronts usually have ISRs which are quite dodgeable). I'd suggest get out in front of it just beyond HEPT/PRG range. Hit "full reverse" AKA -10 :shock: and aim at it as it flies at you while strafing around its ISR shots. As it gets close, hit the boost and fly directly over the top or under the bottom (avoiding the sides). Again, once you are at 1km(PBE max)>range>2.4km(HEPT/PRG max) stop, turn around and fly in behind it at slightly above the PXs speed. This should give you a nice extended pass with your guns.
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

Kor'ah
x4

Post by Kor'ah » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 05:12

8x "Energy Bolt Chainguns" on your Nova along with a good pile of ammo. That'll blitz through a PX before it can down your sheilds.
[X3] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots
[X3T] Guide to training CAG and CLS1&2 pilots in Terran Conflict

The mercenary code
There is no right or wrong.
There is no good or evil.
There is only the will of the client, and how much they're paying.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 16:34

Tiedyeguy wrote:The PX only has 1 PBE on the rear turret and none up front
This PX had PBEs in the rear AND top... making it shoot PBEs from the front, top, sides and rear... Usually when I fight the Xenon Ps my tactic is to get close hit stop and strafe along their sides. I'm able to constantly stay on their sides and kill them easily.

I tried to find a weakspot for this PX but I could clearly see the PBE shooting from the top turret. That finished me off before I could yell "WTF!" :shock:

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Wed, 8. Apr 09, 16:37

Well yeah, that's the thing about the PX, it's not just a single turret thing like the P is. So you can't just strafe in a circle around the side where he can't get you.

What I do in a fighter against corvettes is just act like a bomber. Swoop in, max speed, guns blazing then swoop away scratching the paint on your way out.

Using that method I can kill corvettes in a Sabre.

Tiedyeguy
x4

Post by Tiedyeguy » Thu, 9. Apr 09, 02:05

arcana75 wrote:
Tiedyeguy wrote:The PX only has 1 PBE on the rear turret and none up front
This PX had PBEs in the rear AND top... making it shoot PBEs from the front, top, sides and rear... Usually when I fight the Xenon Ps my tactic is to get close hit stop and strafe along their sides. I'm able to constantly stay on their sides and kill them easily.

I tried to find a weakspot for this PX but I could clearly see the PBE shooting from the top turret. That finished me off before I could yell "WTF!" :shock:
Hmmm... It has been a while since I have seen a PX in my game so I was using ROGUEY'S SITE as my ref. I just noticed that it says there are only 7 guns up front which doesn't make sense so it very well could be a faulty stats page.
Roguey's wrote:Main x7
Left Turret x2
Right Turret x2
Rear Turret x1
NUKLEAR-SLUG wrote:A wasp can sting you and that just hurts, a hundred stings can be fatal.. and that's before you consider most wasps don't come armed with flamethrowers.
Former Commanding Officer of "Hellbound Handbasket" M7 Panther light Carrier in the mighty fleet of Admiral Leo 'Steve' Kayean.

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Thu, 9. Apr 09, 02:46

Eight PBG's in the front of a Nova Raider should easily trump the PBE's in the PX's turrets. Those PBG's should, with a bit of skill, be able to melt that PX to slag long before you take much hull damage, I should think.
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”